Thread: ADOM guidebook android app

Default ADOM guidebook android app

Im sure im not alone here when i say this would be a really handy thing, although i dont know how to help it come into being. just thought i would suggest the idea, perhaps someone will run with it!

Sadly that would badly retrigger decade-plus old debates about copyrights.
    Well, you know Adom is about one of those games there game spoilers are considered to be under someones copyright.

i guess i dont understand what you mean about about copyrights? i was implying Thomas / his employees make it some time. so copy writing would be irrelevant. as to the spoilers? what is the difference between an app on android and the advanced adom guidebook? nothing

Quote Originally Posted by fmlrommel View Post
    i guess i dont understand what you mean about about copyrights?
    I mean guidebook is under copyright of Andy Williams last time I checked. In past there was some problems [for example whole IGB thing] with that.

ahhh i see, that makes sense, perhaps ill message him

As far as I know, Andy Williams released the Guidebook into the public domain some time ago.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    I mean guidebook is under copyright of Andy Williams last time I checked. In past there was some problems [for example whole IGB thing] with that.
    Actually, per http://www.adomgb.info/ :

The ADOM Guidebook can be considered in the public domain as of December 1, 2012. It can be copied, modified and distributed as long as no charge is made for the content. Copyright notices have been removed from the online version.
    And per Pavel (IGB) himself:

Quote Originally Posted by IGB View Post
    For the IGB, I'm going to mention in the introduction and on the access webpage, that it is indeed not original work, but remove all copyright notices throughout. Hope that is fine for everyone.

i did confirm that, he emailed me saying use any and all info you want for whatever, so long as you dont make $$ off it

In my opinion and memory, the original IGB controversy was not actually about copyright either -- I am all for free culture myself, but IGB was clearly very wrong to me (why have two websites instead of one, including information obtained by disassembling ADOM against the wishes of Thomas, Pavel's disrespectful attitude back then). Copyright was just a legal tool against IGB.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno View Post
    Copyright was just a legal tool against IGB.
    That might have been case at start, but later stuff got downhill. Like people questioning why they should allow "their" info to be included under guidebooks copyright, who the hell is Andy Williams to own copyright about info of game he does not produced and stuff like that.
    Adom wiki is probably the only game wiki with thing like contributor "opt in" or "opt out" page.

Hopefully if guidebook is "public domain" that whole copyrighting info thing can go down as some historical nonsense.