Thread: precrowning in steam beta

Default precrowning in steam beta

so i started a hurthling bard, no artifacts generated yet, level 11, almost 12, found an altar in puppy cave. sac'd monsters til *deity* favors me. but when i pray nothing happens. (i have no idea as to my current alignment, because the game will not show it to me even in the old ASCII mode) i assumed i must be extreme alignment, so i lured tywat out and killed him, got ammy. this must has sent me into neutral because i had to sac a bunch more to get back to *favors you* used the ammy for a bit, but to no effect.

*edit* when i pray, i only get your prayer remains unheard.

i did the same thing on a previous character, except i killed holtzy instead and with only a few turns with the ammy on i was pre crowned. any advice here? trying to think if i left anything out..... i am 100% sure no artifacts have been created.

do i just need to be level 12? that is what im gunna work on i guess for lack of better options.

thanks!
    Last edited by fmlrommel; 01-04-2015 at 08:44 PM.

You are eligible for pre-crowning when the deity is extremely close to you.
    You are eligible for crowning when the deity is absolutely close to you.
    Both of those come after "favors you greatly" which comes after "favors you".
    The difference is only due to extremity of alignment or lack thereof (as in extreme and absolute don't come one after another; they are interchangeable and indicate the same level of piety, at least before the first precrowning).

Of course level requirement and artifacts generated have to be factored into the equation for precrowning.
    As long as your alignment is not extreme, you will not be absolutely close so this is one way to figure out if your alignment is extreme or not.

Note two things: sacrificing on neutral altar as neutral character brings your alignment to N= (which is extreme alignment) and it will be achieved much sooner than either L+ or C-.
    If you pray then, you will be crowned instead of precrowned.
    On the other hand, sacrificing on a lawful altar as a lawful character will usually let you get enough piety for precrowning but you will still be L, not L+.
    This is because unlike neutral altars, sacrifices on lawful or chaotic altars don't push your alignment towards the extreme (L+ or C-).
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 01-04-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

ahhhhhh i knew i had to be overlooking something.... thanks ill give it a go and see what happens.

yes of course.... got me the preserver as a gift, thanks again for relieving my frustration. have a good one
    Last edited by fmlrommel; 01-04-2015 at 10:00 PM.

one more question as far as precrowning goes. i know im at the right amount of piety, because loading game and trying several times it has worked, but why is it that my deity only seems to precrown me if and when he/she desires: i can pray 10 times and not get anything, and on the next try get it first time. didnt sacrifice anything or do anything different

i can sacrifice hundreds of thousands of gold, and still not get the precrown, but quit and load it again and i can get on first try

Quote Originally Posted by fmlrommel View Post
    one more question as far as precrowning goes. i know im at the right amount of piety, because loading game and trying several times it has worked, but why is it that my deity only seems to precrown me if and when he/she desires: i can pray 10 times and not get anything, and on the next try get it first time. didnt sacrifice anything or do anything different

i can sacrifice hundreds of thousands of gold, and still not get the precrown, but quit and load it again and i can get on first try
    Cause you don't have right amount of piety?

In 1.1.1 it used to be that under x amount of piety char never gets precrowned, above y char always gets precrowned, and in between [more than x and less than y] it is sort of coin toss if that happens.
    Unresultive prayers would still cost char piety so in general it is better to get over that y.

no i am 100% sure i have enough piety. im playing with saved game, and upon reload, i can get the precrowning on the first or second roll *sometimes* often though it just says unheard. same result regardless if i sac 300,000 MORE gold than needed.

Quote Originally Posted by fmlrommel View Post
    no i am 100% sure i have enough piety. im playing with saved game, and upon reload, i can get the precrowning on the first or second roll *sometimes* often though it just says unheard.
    How that is different from what I described being between x and y?

oops, i misread your post, sorry, its a bit early lol. i guess my only other question is is there a reason for this or just how it be? anyone done any research into this?
    and "coin toss" is a bit generous, maybe like 1/30 or 1/50 attempts
    Last edited by fmlrommel; 01-10-2015 at 06:47 PM.

I've read a bug report about this phenomenon I think. So you're not the only one considering it buggish, although Soirana's explanation fits perfectly (and could be intended by TB)