Thread: NotEye crash

Default NotEye crash

I did a bit of a search on this issue, and didn't find much info to do with crashes, or how to avoid it.

My best character so far, a level 18 Gnome Elementalist, was lost due to a NotEye crash. I was attempting to offer some gold to the gods in the Dwarf village, and instead of pressing 'n' to select the gold from my inventory first, I typed the number I wanted to sacrifice. This caused a NotEye crash, which I unfortunately did not document. I then picked the 'Continue in safe mode' option, thinking it was safe. It was not, and my character was lost.

This is the second time this has happened in the week since I started playing, I don't recall what caused it the first time, I believe it was because I left the game running when my laptop ran out of power (although this has happened 5 times since with no issues. The first time was a level 14 Dwarven Paladin, meaning this has happened to every character I got past ~level 7.

After starting the game after closing it via task manager, the characters were no longer available to play. I love the permanent-death stuff, but is there a way to regain lost saves like this? Is there a fix for these issues? Have the wrathful RNGods escaped from the game to torment me in real life? If this has already happened to every character I get past level 7, I'd hate to lose any better characters to it.

I hope I am posting this right, and thanks for all the help I've received here in the last week.

I've had a number of ADOM crashes over the years and while overall they're rare, they're also devastating - losing a character I've just invested hours in to a crash isn't fun. I would love for ADOM to be enhanced with an autosave functionality or a one-button way of saving the game without quitting (or both).
    This would make it necessary to keep a savegame while playing (rather than just a backup from when you started, which helps little if you crash after playing for five hours).

Thoughts? I've previously heard concerns about savescumming but if someone really wants to scum, they can anyway. I would love to be able to play without fearing crashes or other PC issues (my laptop's been known to crash very occasionally when hibernating and it's cost me games too if I'd kept ADOM running in the background).

Quote Originally Posted by elenie View Post
    I would love for ADOM to be enhanced with an autosave functionality or a one-button way of saving the game without quitting (or both).

Thoughts? I've previously heard concerns about savescumming
    Current version makes charname.bak [which in essence is renamed svg copy] files periodically, so personally I can't see why where could not be command to create charname.bak.
    It would help arround points where player suspects game have crashy tendencies.