Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finally some more potential, questions arise

Question Finally some more potential, questions arise

After my first win a few weeks ago with a DE Ranger, I decided to try with an archer, because my attempts with them in the past had been fun. I tried DE's at first because I love Find Weakness, but I must have made 20 of them that died under exp-level 10, even with reletively careful play. So I now have a HE Archer with pretty good potential so far, although he hasn't found any Morgia yet and the big room had a pitifully small number of herbs which disappeared, I'm not even sure if I picked any. He is level 18 currently.

Questions:

Will reading scrolls train the literacy skill over time? I have just saved Khelly, so I got the identify and teleport books, but I am about concentration 70 and literacy 48 and both skills are being very stubborn to increase at level-ups. Any other suggestions (other than patience)?

Does killing Andor Drakkon end the game, or do you still go back through the gate and leave the Drakalor chain the normal way? I mainly ask to know if I should do the unicorn reward before or after I do the final dive in a ultra attempt.

I'm sure I had another questions or two I wanted to ask but can't think of them now, maybe I'll think of them later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by brim View Post
    Will reading scrolls train the literacy skill over time? I have just saved Khelly, so I got the identify and teleport books, but I am about concentration 70 and literacy 48 and both skills are being very stubborn to increase at level-ups. Any other suggestions (other than patience)?
    Getting the weird tome puts your literacy instantly to 100 and nets you a few SoCR's but since you are an archer you probably won't go to the library any time soon. Other than the library you can read some scrolls over and over again to train literacy. Papyrus scroll and the ratling pamphlet are re-readable. Concentration probably trains if you empty your PP and let it regenerate, but don't quote me on that.

Does killing Andor Drakkon end the game, or do you still go back through the gate and leave the Drakalor chain the normal way? I mainly ask to know if I should do the unicorn reward before or after I do the final dive in a ultra attempt.
    Best of my knowledge game ends there. For anything but lawful ultra you actually need to be very corrupted to enter the portal.

You know, I read in the guidebook that getting the weird tome makes literacy 100, but in my win with the ranger I got it and it only went up to like 73 or so. Bug? Or maybe it just gives a boost, perhaps determined by your learning?

I will try the ratling pamphlet method of literacy training.

Another unrelated question: Orc paladins always start with everburning torches, but I've never seen one elsewhere in the game. Am I just unlucky or is being an orc pally the only why to get one?
    Last edited by brim; 07-17-2009 at 04:17 AM.

Another unrelated question: Orc paladins always start with everburning torches, but I've never seen one elsewhere in the game. Am I just unlucky or is being an orc pally the only why to get one?
    They're just rare is all. If you kill enough monsters, you will come across one sooner or later
    You may also be able to wish for them, but it's REALLY not worth it.

Questions:

Go to the Griffyard (better since it's non-corrupting) or the undead graveyard and walk over the graves repeatedly. Every time you successfully read the inscription on the grave (even the same one), it trains literacy. Much faster than reading scrolls.

Killing Andor Drakon clears all corruption and wins the game. You should complete the unicorn quest (or way or another, depending on your ultra alignment) before doing your final dive.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

You know, I read in the guidebook that getting the weird tome makes literacy 100, but in my win with the ranger I got it and it only went up to like 73 or so. Bug? Or maybe it just gives a boost, perhaps determined by your learning?
    I'm pretty sure it sets liteeracy to 100 since my beastfighters get it and after that its allways been at 100.. You probably had some bug or something..
    Everburning torch is very rare indeed. I only got it once or twice if i didn't start with it. Too bad since it is a nice item IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    You should complete the unicorn quest (or way or another, depending on your ultra alignment) before doing your final dive.
    I've managed to kill the white unicorn as lawful without changing alignment. Went from L+ to L and I was L50, so I had to do quite a bit of whipping to get it back up (I think around 10,000 health worth or so) but it is possible. I 2 shot him with adamantium arrows of slaying while wearing a blessed amulet of balance.

Depends on how much corruption removal stuff you have. A ton of PoGAs is more useful if you have enough corruption removal, and the corruption removal is a lot more valuable than the PoGAs if you don't have enough corruption removal =P.

Of course ignore all that if you actually roleplay, as an L+ obviously wouldn't kill the white unicorn playing in role.

Some more questions.

Does cooked food still rot? I used a wand of fire on the Snake from Beyond corpse and it cooked but a few dungeon levels later it was gone, same for ACW corpse that was cooked by the tower's heat. I really needed them both for the PoCC...

I'm working on a DE Beastfighter now who has satified the ratling and has boar skull (took about 15 days while wearing crown of science to get it) and all the other things needed for Gaab'bay except the PoCC. I am still CN as I havn't taken Gaabies first quest yet, but after i take her first quest can i change alignment or do I need to stay C throughout her quests?

What, if any, intrinsics apply from melee artifacts (such as RCT or ToRR) weilded as missles? My guess is none, but just wanted to be certain. I'm talking about things like Water Breathing, SeeInv, resists/imunities.

Think I can survive the stone circle if I'm level 22 and have some dragon slaying ammo?

Thanks!

Yes, cooked food still rots. You were very unlucky. To keep the corpses really safe you should have a source of uncursing handy - water, scroll (kind of a waste) or Remove Curse spell - and pay close attention.

I think it's fine if you change alignment inbetween, as long as you're C again when you talk to her (I imagine she won't talk to neutrals).

Not sure about the intrinsics.

I am pretty sure it's possible to kill Keriax with a level 22 PC relying only on ammunition to even deal damage, I did it myself (demon slaying works too, I think). But it's not gonna be pretty. Yulgash is the much easier fight!
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Does cooked food still rot?

It does, so blessing the corpse everytime when it hits cursed status is probably needed to get to Guth'Alak.

after i take her first quest can i change alignment or do I need to stay C throughout her quests?

I'm not 100% sure but i think you need to be chaotic only for the first one. Don't quote me on that tho

What, if any, intrinsics apply from melee artifacts (such as RCT or ToRR) weilded as missles?

Also not 100% sure but i think that none apply.

Think I can survive the stone circle if I'm level 22 and have some dragon slaying ammo?

Be very careful there with a beasty since Keriax is a really tuff opponent! One very promising beasty i had died because i underestimated him. Confusion resistance is essential (and multiple sources are very good to have) and any means of making the fight onesided is something i warmly recommend. Stunning/blinding is easy and then you can hammer away with your dragon slaying ammo. Even if you paralyze him i would not melee him just in case and do remeber to stay away from his bolts. BTW i ate him after he fell the first time just out of revenge

Sorry for my bad english
    Last edited by phauli; 07-27-2009 at 10:42 PM.