Thread: Randomly (or so it seems) permanently losing base Willpower?

Default Randomly (or so it seems) permanently losing base Willpower?

During the game, when pulling up my character information, I noticed that my base Willpower has dropped from its previous score of 26 to 23. I definitely didn't see any stat loss messages, and I didn't get a lot of new corruptions (the +1 St/Dx/To/Ma -1 Wi and individual corruption effects show up under modifiers anyway). This also happened in another game I have played and finished, and both characters shared the Babbling Mouth corruption. I never got a chance to see exactly when the Wi was lost - I was too busy focusing on other things, like fighting monsters and such. Could the loss of Willpower be from the 'free' spells, merely having the corruption, or from some factor of which I'm not aware? No other base stats were drained, just Willpower.

Since babbling mouth is a relatively new corruption, it's theoretically possible that somehow, some spells cast that way with their typical PP cost, will exceed total PP of your character and the game will treat this as HP casting.
    That could explain the loss of willpower but did you also notice some loss of toughness? They are related in the context of casting spells from HP.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

The same thing has happened to me with babbling mouth. Would be nice to know if this is intentional or not. Any guesses?

Edit: In my experience there was no toughness drain.

I didn't notice any Toughness drain either, but since I tend to eat a crapton of swamp hydra and hill orc corpses, it's a bit hard for me to tell. Given gr3ybird's comment though, I'm going to guess there wasn't any.

I should note that I did not receive the "You feel soft-hearted" messages from when Willpower is lost from stat abuse/pool/stat drain spells, so there might be something else going on.

Update: For the present time, I've chosen to remove Babbling Mouth when it comes up as a corruption in my current game, and so far, I haven't lost any more Willpower. It's a shame, since I love that corruption and seeing what spell it spits out next, and the Learning boost was great too :-(
    Last edited by Athe; 02-17-2015 at 09:15 PM.

I had a weird case a few weeks ago where a fairly low-level player (lv ~10) was continually seeing learning decrease...eventually it went down to 1 and stayed there. I don't recall any details (race, class, etc.) Can anyone explain?

Outside of being in a very dull room for a long time, I got nuthin'.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Babbling mouth is one of the things I remove immediately, somewhere between poison hands and damn teleportitis (which I remove even sooner than "immediately" if that is even possible).
    It's after an ultra attempt when I entered Terrinyo to get my well-deserved trident and instead randomly cast a range 3 acid ball that killed the tiny girl, some goodwife and made the whole town hostile...
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Babbling mouth is one of the things I remove immediately, somewhere between poison hands and damn teleportitis (which I remove even sooner than "immediately" if that is even possible).
    It's after an ultra attempt when I entered Terrinyo to get my well-deserved trident and instead randomly cast a range 3 acid ball that killed the tiny girl, some goodwife and made the whole town hostile...
    This sometimes happening is enough of a drawback for babbling mouth without stat drains, imho.