Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gemology 2.0

Default Gemology 2.0

I'd like to see gemology upgraded a bit to be more useful in JADE.

Here's my idea which is partly based on the assumption that one of the things gems were supposed to do in ADOM was have a way of carrying around wealth without the weight of gold.

First, when you mine instead of just finding gems it would be cooler if you found uncut gems or say a diamond lode. (Kind of like when you mine for metals you find ore). Then you have to [a]pply your gemology skill while wielding a gem cutting tool to cut them into a diamond or sapphire or what have you. These gems would then be worth a lot of gold so you could carry around some good wealth with little weight. You could even implement it so that the uncut gems you find have a quality factor that affects how successful you will be at cutting the gem and help determine the actual value. So a quality 10 uncut diamond will be harder to cut but worth a lot more if successful.

These gems could then be given a worth of maybe 10k-1m depending on stone and quality.

If you don't have the gemology skill maybe you could have certain NPC's or a specialty shop in a town where they will cut gems for you for a fee.

Also, you could have a chance to ruin a gem if your cutting skill is too low, which would give you an incentive to start on simple gems like quartz or topaz.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannis View Post
    Also, you could have a chance to ruin a gem if your cutting skill is too low, which would give you an incentive to start on simple gems like quartz or topaz.
    Exactly - that is what I meant to say as well. Your gemology skill, the type of stone, and quality of the stone would determine whether you successfully cut it into a gem or ruined it and turned into a worthless piece of something or other (that still might be worth 3-5 coins).

and you can go farther with that and put in the ability to craft rings/amulets out of those gems and other raw materials, maybe even put the gems into weapons/armor for effects. Maybe make your own wands too using different gems/crystals for the effect you want.

I definitely like the cutting idea. Gems as a sort of lightweight secondary currency would be great. For this to work though every shopkeeper would have to accept gems as a direct substitute for gold (not just selling gems and using the cash for items).

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    I definitely like the cutting idea. Gems as a sort of lightweight secondary currency would be great. For this to work though every shopkeeper would have to accept gems as a direct substitute for gold (not just selling gems and using the cash for items).
    Every item in the game could have an equivalent gold value, that fluctuates based on the location. So your gem in the city might sell at full price, but them gem might be worth less in a dwarven mining town. That could open the door for bartering in JADE and make the haggling skill more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Gems as a sort of lightweight secondary currency would be great. For this to work though every shopkeeper would have to accept gems as a direct substitute for gold (not just selling gems and using the cash for items).
    Or if gems had fixed prices - by a king's edict for example. Shopkeepers would buy and sell them for a stiff price, without the haggling/charisma/prejudice factors, allowing fluent exchange for currency at any given time (apart from some clandestine black market practices, that is).

The idea of putting gems in weapons is recycled from Diablo II, I'm against.

Quote Originally Posted by reich View Post
    Or if gems had fixed prices - by a king's edict for example. Shopkeepers would buy and sell them for a stiff price, without the haggling/charisma/prejudice factors, allowing fluent exchange for currency at any given time (apart from some clandestine black market practices, that is).

The idea of putting gems in weapons is recycled from Diablo II, I'm against.
    Diablo also involves killing monsters for XP, quests, NPCs, unique items, and a handy automap. Against those things too?

Face it, most RPG's aren't terribly unique. The trick is to take ideas and do it bigger and better. Diablo had what, 6 types of magic gems? If JADE has 35 magic gems with interacting effects, who gives a crap if Diablo did it first if JADE does it better?

putting gems in weapons and such should be a form of magic and be opposed to mindcraft and arcane/clerical magic. It should also be a different skill.

Quote Originally Posted by F50 View Post
    putting gems in weapons and such should be a form of magic and be opposed to mindcraft and arcane/clerical magic. It should also be a different skill.
    I don't think a new skill is necessary. High skill levels in gemology, smithing, and maybe magic should be enough.