Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I keep on dying in early-mid game and I'm lost

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Don't use pools early in the game. There are too many ways it can kill you. Dooming is just one way, but water snakes may already be enough.
    I strongly disagree with this one. Pools are better used in the early game, if at all. Since you can just make another char if you screw things up royally. But if you do get lucky, you can ease your life BIG TIME, for example getting perma invisibility makes the game a lot easier, since you can pick up those fights with less of a hassle. You can also get some nice resistances as well.

I also noticed that i usually get a lot of good stuff early in the game from pools, compared to late sipping. Pools also dry up quickly in the early game. At least that's what i noticed in my games.

1) SMC is fine until char lvl 6. Preferably don't get to level 6 there and just find the staircase. Tension rooms in SMC quickly raise your level.
    2) Cavernous levels are dangerous in general due to much higher monster generation rate. Try to get to the down staircase asap and return later if you have ~12-15 PV.
    3) Easier way is to throw stuff at them until they calm down, iron stuff is common. Using offensive wands works too, rust monsters have no resistances. They are also fairly slow so you can outrun them.
    4) It's a good habit to clear the level around arena to only leave the non-hostile ratlings. Monsters in arena are pretty high leveled so it's best to complete arena quest later, when Thrundarr asks you to do so.
    5, 6, 7) Avoid bug temple entirely. Don't even go there at level 20 unless you REALLY know what you are doing. Bugs are deadly, super fast, ignore PV and land multiple attacks. To get the rewards from bug temple, you'd be forced to kill MANY bugs, sometimes while being surrounded by them. This is tough and dangerous stuff and it's definitely out of your league, or for that matter - out of any early-mid game character's league. Wizards with 32+ willpower and high DV can hope to clear it with some care but otherwise you need powerful melee attack and very good chance to hit - something you only get later in the game. Also you need lots of speed and it's best to have seven league boots too.
    8) That's a wand of magic missiles and it's the common cause of many deaths. The bolt bounces if cast against the wall and will usually hit your char. If it hits once, consider yourself lucky since it's possible to survive, though not with low hp. The deadly part is when you cast it between two walls with you in the middle - you will get hit many times and inevitably die.
    9) Forget kranach. This quest is more dangerous than it's worth it. I never do it, though occaionally the reward might allow you to buy something in the black market. It's still not worth it in my opinion and the quest doesn't have any other consequences if you skip it.
    10) Poison can be deadly in the early game. Try to get a corpse of poisoning monster and eat it. Typically a spider corpse works. Eating it has a high chance of granting poison resistance. When you face a monster with poison attack, switch to coward mode and try to shoot it or cast a spell. With coward's DV bonus they should miss virtually all of their hits. Potions of cure poison are fairly common as well - keep them around. Keep your eyes open for herbs - alraunia antidote cures poisoning when eaten.
    11) There's really nothing I could say about preventing starvation. The general rule is that you should always have something to eat with you. If you don't then drop whatever you're doing and go to Terrinyo and buy some more. Try to predict how long you will last on a given amount of food before you descend deep into a dungeon. Also, consider buying cooked lizards from ratling merchants around arena. Cooked lizards have satiation value roughly equal to large ration, they are cheap and weigh a fraction of a large ration. You can usually buy between 40-100 cooked lizards, 5 gold a piece. They should keep you well fed for a long time.
    12) HMV has a high chance of generating stone giants and stone giant lords. They have a big view radius and will often throw rocks at the PC from outside of your line of sight. When first arriving in HMV, set your tactics to coward and if you have shields, wield them in both hands. Once you find out if there are giants/giant lords in HMV, you can try to dispatch them with wands, spells or giant slaying missiles if you happened to find those. You can also try to maneuver around the shop keeper. If done right, a stone giant standing in the shop entrance will be attacked by the shopkeeper if you pick up an item in the shop - but only if you didn't attack the giant yet in any way. Sometimes giants can be tricked into throwing rocks at you and hitting Hawkslayer instead. He will usually proceed to mutilate said giant and will in the process clear your path.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    I strongly disagree with this one. Pools are better used in the early game, if at all. Since you can just make another char if you screw things up royally...
    Ok, but that means we just have a fundamentally different approach to playing a roguelike. If I have rolled a character, looked at him and decided to play him, from the moment I take the first step towards Terinyo keeping him alive is the single most important thing for me.

I agree pools should be ignored completely in the early game.
    They do more harm than good when you can't counter some of the nastiest consequences of a bad pool sip.
    Sure, a wish in the early game is very nice but you might very well get dooming or sickness or both and that usually means you will die very soon.
    I usually sip from pools once some conditions have been met:

a) I have a nearby coaligned altar and enough piety for the deity to be very close.
    At this point, saccing one gold piece will remove any dooming and cursing and grant luck+fate, if they have been lost while pool sipping.
    b) I have a spare blink dog corpse or an amulet/ring of teleport control. Losing teleport control and gaining teleportitis is one of the worst things that can happen to you while sipping from a pool.
    c) I don't have resistances to paralyzation/petrification/death rays. Getting those intrinsically is even better than getting a wish, since each of those intrinsics can save your life multiple times.
    d) I really need a wish for some crucial item I was unable to get otherwise - seven league boots, amulet of life saving, red dragon scale mails or maybe potions of potential toughness if I'm really desperate.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Cactus View Post
    Ok, but that means we just have a fundamentally different approach to playing a roguelike. If I have rolled a character, looked at him and decided to play him, from the moment I take the first step towards Terinyo keeping him alive is the single most important thing for me.
    That's true, i have a totally different approach . I run chars until one is lucky enough to get out of the early game, after that, i mutilate everything that comes in my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I agree pools should be ignored completely in the early game.
    They do more harm than good when you can't counter some of the nastiest consequences of a bad pool sip.
    Sure, a wish in the early game is very nice but you might very well get dooming or sickness or both and that usually means you will die very soon.
    I usually sip from pools once some conditions have been met:

a) I have a nearby coaligned altar and enough piety for the deity to be very close.
    At this point, saccing one gold piece will remove any dooming and cursing and grant luck+fate, if they have been lost while pool sipping.
    b) I have a spare blink dog corpse or an amulet/ring of teleport control. Losing teleport control and gaining teleportitis is one of the worst things that can happen to you while sipping from a pool.
    c) I don't have resistances to paralyzation/petrification/death rays. Getting those intrinsically is even better than getting a wish, since each of those intrinsics can save your life multiple times.
    d) I really need a wish for some crucial item I was unable to get otherwise - seven league boots, amulet of life saving, red dragon scale mails or maybe potions of potential toughness if I'm really desperate.
    My seal of approval. Pretty much exactly my train of thought. Sometimes I might decide to drain pool(s) if game was already going badly from the get go. Just to see if game takes turn to better or I go down in blaze of glory (most likely surrounded by snakes, bleeding from ears, poisoned, sick, cursed and doomed).

Cripes, thanks for all these advices!

You might want to check some Let's Play-videos on Youtube, for instance Silfir's highly instructive Hocus Pocus-series, or any of Gordon Overkill's series. That is, if you don't mind being heavily spoiled. But I think playing ADOM unspoiled and trying to finish it is somewhat comparable to trying to solve a Rubik's Cube all by yourself without outside help: down that path lies madness.

Pools are sucker bait in the early game. Don't use 'em unless you've got enough piety to pray away cursing/dooming.

Also! Perma-invis is great, BUT, if you get it before you've done the Arena quest, you won't be able to do the Arena quest unless you get lucky with a potion of visibility. So be warned.

Quote Originally Posted by mjz15 View Post
    You might want to check some Let's Play-videos on Youtube, for instance Silfir's highly instructive Hocus Pocus-series, or any of Gordon Overkill's series. That is, if you don't mind being heavily spoiled. But I think playing ADOM unspoiled and trying to finish it is somewhat comparable to trying to solve a Rubik's Cube all by yourself without outside help: down that path lies madness.
    Like fun. In which is dwarf fortress brand of "FUN", right.
    well, here I go again.
    How do you guys even manage to do well with a non caster class anyway? They seem to lack firepower.