Thread: can I recover?

Default can I recover?

Ok, so I experienced another noteye crash. I think it was hitting enter while at the wand-selection (for zapping) screen that did it, no idea why. It prompted me with "continue playing", "continue playing in safe mode", "reload scripts", some other options...

Last time this happened I went with safe mode and was presented with a black screen with a flashing prompt. I ended up forcing the app to close and lost hours of progress. This time, rather than come here first and ask which option to pick, I went with just 'continue playing'. Same black prompt. I'm going to just leave my computer in this state for the moment, not force the app to close. My question is: is there any way to recover the game or ensure it backs up the most recent progress?

*EDIT actually I just looked and it had backed up a save just a couple of minutes ago. Not sure if it was a coincidence or if it was able to do that deliberately, since on the occasion before this the last backup was hours ago. I've backed up the backup, just for good measure. I'd still like someone to answer the question though as if I hadn't said this, and will continue to leave the app open, because I'm curious and would like to know what to do in the event that this happens again...
    Last edited by auricbond; 03-25-2015 at 02:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    My question is: is there any way to recover the game or ensure it backs up the most recent progress?
    From my experience - no.

I think TB said there will be public release before steam release, so it should be relatively not far away. Latest version have more bugs fixed and safe mode seems to be working in some cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    From my experience - no.

I think TB said there will be public release before steam release, so it should be relatively not far away. Latest version have more bugs fixed and safe mode seems to be working in some cases.
    Ah cool, did not know that was planned. I'm excited for the steam release, hopefully it goes off without a hitch.

On reloading the backup it seems it was pure coincidence that it had backed up about a minute before the crash. I got an extra chance on zapping wands of wonder on my mindcrafter, but oh well.