Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dwarftown and swapping places

Default Dwarftown and swapping places

I had a level 14 dwarven barb, nothing that should make anyone attack me (gear, corruptions) and I was on normal tactic settings. I just grabbed the 3rd DT quest and was on my way to ogre cave. I was just pushing movement keys and not paying attention, until I saw a bunch of thugs coming at me. I guess I swapped places with one of the guards there. Do the inhabitants of DT still get pissed off when you swap positions with them or what?

Of course I had a decent barb going on, had AoLS, RoDS, mithril scimitar of devastation and other nice stuff. Also, for the first time there was ants in the graveyard level below Khelly in CoC.

Generally when you swap places with random dwarves, some of them will not like it - the message "the dwarf doesn't like being pushed around" is generated and the npc in question becomes hostile.
    It's easy to miss the message and accidentally kill the dwarf which will cause the shopkeeper to become hostile as well, while the rest of the DT inhabitants don't seem to give a damn.
    It happened to me with both male and female dwarves as well as dwarven children but never with guards, probably because they are far less numerous.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I bumped into the guards outside of Thundarr's place. Should've learned by now not to walk around with movement keys pressed down :P

Annoying, isn't it? One option is to disable autoswap and dual wield shields while you're in DT. Then you can hold down movement keys safely.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Somewhat annoying for sure, since you never know when that happens. Also, couple of re-rolls later a farmer in Terinyo didn't like me pushing him around..one of those days I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansku View Post
    I had a level 14 dwarven barb, nothing that should make anyone attack me (gear, corruptions) and I was on normal tactic settings. I just grabbed the 3rd DT quest and was on my way to ogre cave. I was just pushing movement keys and not paying attention, until I saw a bunch of thugs coming at me. I guess I swapped places with one of the guards there. Do the inhabitants of DT still get pissed off when you swap positions with them or what?

Of course I had a decent barb going on, had AoLS, RoDS, mithril scimitar of devastation and other nice stuff. Also, for the first time there was ants in the graveyard level below Khelly in CoC.
    Did you die to them thugs? I think you could've kill them. and run away from the shopkeeper, or just kill him too, with wands or something

Waldenbrook got me, I kinda gave up on the char and just decided to try and melee him without using anything but my weapon. Next time I will deal with that differently for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Mansku View Post
    Waldenbrook got me, I kinda gave up on the char and just decided to try and melee him without using anything but my weapon. Next time I will deal with that differently for sure.
    Yeah, i oftentimes refuse to further play a char that gets into a situation that spoils for me all the fun. I just quit them, no matter how powerful they are.

I still don't understand why this "doesn't like being pushed around" is still a thing now that autoswap-with-neutrals is the default behavior. It seems pretty misleading to have this be fine 99% of the time and then 1% of the time it turns towns hostile. It's not at all clear and it tends to make wandering around in towns risky.

The act itself doesn't make the town hostile, or even the shopkeeper.
    I had this happen recently but I was cautious and did not hit the dwarf in question.
    I led him upstairs, passing the shop on my way out and slew him outside of DT.
    Town hostility happens when you actually take a hostile action against the dwarf in question, which is often the case accidentally because you fail to notice that he turned hostile and running into him again acts like an attack instead of swapping.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."