Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: who the fcuk invented those stupid statues?

Default who the fcuk invented those stupid statues?

as per title. Some of them crash the game . and the wiki doesn't say so for all that do. I just lost a promising wizard due to one. Should've saved the game before kicking it.

Oh yeah, they can crash the game. I usually save the game but there are still some surprises.
    I think there should be some special room for prerelease testers, specifically for testing the latest version of the game, with all statues inside a huge big room-like cavern and an immortal char ready to step on, pray or kick them all.
    If that doesn't crash the game for any race/class combo, it should be fine then.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Oh yeah, they can crash the game. I usually save the game but there are still some surprises.
    I think there should be some special room for prerelease testers, specifically for testing the latest version of the game, with all statues inside a huge big room-like cavern and an immortal char ready to step on, pray or kick them all.
    If that doesn't crash the game for any race/class combo, it should be fine then.
    yeah, maybe they should, but they're almost useless anyway, ADOM was a better game without them.

Sad to say it, but thinking here is pretty clear: statues had to be stuck in the game to make the people who paid for them happy, whether they are good (or ready) or not.

I'm not complaining, btw, its thanks to those donations that we have the great game that is now available.

Also, I understand the temptation to add more features to a game because, well, new features are really cool!...But at the same time features have to be pretty well tested/stable before they are put in.

Statues are a nice addition that add variety to the game, except for a select few that are really unbalanced, and for the crashes.

They should be tested as Blasphemous says, such a test wouldn't be too much work and it would save tons of frustration to players and many bug reports. I hope this is done before the public Steam release at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    they're almost useless anyway, ADOM was a better game without them.
    I disagree completely. While some polishing is needed (as it happens with every new feature initially), they add a lot of flavor to the game.

Losing a great character to a crash is undeniably sad, but these are prerelease versions. File a bug report with as much detail as possible, so that the bug will get fixed and others won't have to endure it.

And I like the idea of a debug room for statues too, it would speed up the process of finding buggy ones.
    "And light there be!"

Big +1 on the debug room idea. Maybe a special dungeon that can be accessed in exploration mode or something.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I disagree completely. While some polishing is needed (as it happens with every new feature initially), they add a lot of flavor to the game.

Losing a great character to a crash is undeniably sad, but these are prerelease versions. File a bug report with as much detail as possible, so that the bug will get fixed and others won't have to endure it.

And I like the idea of a debug room for statues too, it would speed up the process of finding buggy ones.
    Flavor is fine, but a lot of statues that trigger as soon as the PC steps on them are completely unbalanced. Pray statues and kick statues can do anything they wish, but until the 'l'ook command is made to check the statue description from afar, I will not step on a single statue unless with an endgame char for science reasons (even then there is a statue which supposedly halves your max HP in exchange for a vampiric sword; probably not a cool thing for a level 50 mist elf).
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    but a lot of statues that trigger as soon as the PC steps on them are completely not a cool
    Did anyone actually filled RFE for 'l'ook work on these?
    Because I would like to upvote that...

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Did anyone actually filled RFE for 'l'ook work on these?
    Because I would like to upvote that...
    There you go.
    http://www.adom.de/forums/project.php?issueid=2880
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.