Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: First Ultra win - ULE GE Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Oh man, golden days ahead of you. Assassin is *the* most powerful melee char in my opinion, mainly do to sneak critical multipliers with daggers and general melee/range flexibility and deadliness.
    Mindcrafters... are tricky but extremely rewarding and overpowered in the late game.
    are the critical multipliers with daggers bigger than with other weapons?

What about Barbarians, from their class powers, i'd say they can become extremely powerful too. Tremendous blow while true berserking at lvl50?

Assassins get amazing critical hit multipliers (either all melee weapons or specifically daggers) + backstabbing class power + very high chance humanoid slaying weapon for crowning (50%).
    To quote ancardia wiki:
    Level 12: Backstabbing gets more deadly. The exact effect is extra 2x modifier for backstabs according Soirana's testing, this can be further multiplied by critical hit and blessed weapon against some enemies. So this could be 2x for backstab 2x for level power 2x critical 1.5x against undead and daemons for total 12x.
    Barbarians sure have mighty and tremendous blows but they use a crapload of energy points which leave you vulnerable to 2, sometimes 3 turns for the enemy.
    Barbarians don't even have stealth skill unless you're playing an elf, the race which kinda defeats the purpose of playing a barb due to strength and toughness.
    Assasins' greatest advantage is from backstabbing while unnoticed, and those attacks use up a bit over ~800 energy points at weapon mastery. That way you can even one hit great wyrms and move on before the rest of them knows what's going on. Max out stealth, find weakness and backstabbing, get invisibility and run around with bracers of war, cat ring and serpent's bite. That gives you huge increase in critical hits and add 20% at level 25 and the game effects are sometimes comical.
    Assassins can do the assassin prince's quest at level 30 or 35.
    That opens up the option to get twin daggers much earlier than the rest and enjoy one-two hit wonders for the rest of the game.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 04-02-2015 at 09:55 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Assassins get amazing critical hit multipliers (either all melee weapons or specifically daggers) + backstabbing class power + very high chance humanoid slaying weapon for crowning (50%).
    To quote ancardia wiki:

Barbarians sure have mighty and tremendous blows but they use a crapload of energy points which leave you vulnerable to 2, sometimes 3 turns for the enemy.
    Barbarians don't even have stealth skill unless you're playing an elf, the race which kinda defeats the purpose of playing a barb due to strength and toughness.
    Assasins' greatest advantage is from backstabbing while unnoticed, and those attacks use up a bit over ~800 energy points at weapon mastery. That way you can even one hit great wyrms and move on before the rest of them knows what's going on. Max out stealth, find weakness and backstabbing, get invisibility and run around with bracers of war, cat ring and serpent's bite. That gives you huge increase in critical hits and add 20% at level 25 and the game effects are sometimes comical.
    Assassins can do the assassin prince's quest at level 30 or 35.
    That opens up the option to get twin daggers much earlier than the rest and enjoy one-two hit wonders for the rest of the game.
    Sounds cool, but killing the ancient blue wyrm at lvl 30 is a bit stressful. I will definitely try that. I can see how assassins might be even more fun than monks in some situations, but i am pretty sure monks are better at killing bosses, unless assassins can instakill keriax, ACW, emperor moloch and the like. Although it might be doable with the twin daggers, i guess, since a backstab of x12 damage would deal some insanely high damage (>1,2k :O).

There are known assassin backstabs with AotME against boss monsters... Ln has reportedly slain the ancient blue wyrm that way. One hit.

There are known assassin backstabs with AotME against boss monsters... Ln has reportedly slain the ancient blue wyrm that way. One hit.
    That's so cute

I got excessively spoiled years ago and it never stopped me from enjoying the game time and again.
    Replayability value of ADoM is exceedingly high and that's a good thing.
    Monks are beasts, especially when played armed instead of hand-to-hand.
    Gray elven monks are in my top 3 favorite chars.
    I never won with a GE monk, but that's on my list (I already won with a mist elf monk so why not with a gray elf?)

Just have to say, try a gnomish monk (for the class powers, gnomes advance "quite rapidly" in levels), or a dwarven monk (starting with St, Le and To 20+ is quite nice!).

And a bit offtopic.. If I had to list the top 3, they are without hesitations dwarf beastfighter, dwarf monk and dark elf mindcrafter

And of course, congratulations! First Ultra is always the first, now there is no returning..
    Mission: Win with all classes as a dwarf
    Accomplished: Monk, Beastfighter, Duelist, Barbarian, Paladin, Priest, Wizard, Elementalist, Mindcrafter, Necromancer, Bard
    Current quest: Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by Heikki View Post
    I never won with a GE monk, but that's on my list (I already won with a mist elf monk so why not with a gray elf?)

Just have to say, try a gnomish monk (for the class powers, gnomes advance "quite rapidly" in levels), or a dwarven monk (starting with St, Le and To 20+ is quite nice!).

And a bit offtopic.. If I had to list the top 3, they are without hesitations dwarf beastfighter, dwarf monk and dark elf mindcrafter

And of course, congratulations! First Ultra is always the first, now there is no returning..
    i don't think there is some char more powerful than a monk in melee . By powerful i mean able to deal craploads of pain while staying out of reach. Only other one i can think of is an archmage .

Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    i don't think there is some char more powerful than a monk in melee . By powerful i mean able to deal craploads of pain while staying out of reach. Only other one i can think of is an archmage .
    Assassins and duelists are pretty amazing too.
    Assassins don't really have to stay out of reach because most things they touch simply dies.
    Duelists have other nice features, many of which sort of overlap with monks. They do have some limitations though, which monks do not.

Assassins and duelists are pretty amazing too.
    Assassins don't really have to stay out of reach because most things they touch simply dies.
    Duelists have other nice features, many of which sort of overlap with monks. They do have some limitations though, which monks do not.
    Well, assassins have the significant drawback of losing stealth once one monster is hit. It's not a problem with monsters that don't see invisible, but what abut those that see? Is there any way to regain stealth?

Not really, once stealth is lost, it's lost. I still like it though, since it only becomes an issue with tension rooms and the like.
    Even without stealth, assassins deal a lot of criticals so clearing vaults isn't a problem.