Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Finishing ADOM... unspoiled?

Games like ADOM are intended to be highly enjoyable even if you never win. It's not like some console adventure game where if you sit around for 15 hours you've completed the game.

Quote Originally Posted by manseman View Post
    Games like ADOM are intended to be highly enjoyable even if you never win. It's not like some console adventure game where if you sit around for 15 hours you've completed the game.
    Winning is not so important like enjoy the game..a game of ADOM where I don't insta-die take me for a regular win (or a late death) even 30-40 hours of play during many days, mostly spent managing inventory (the drug of role-play-gamers)...so I have put in this game hundreds hours from the beginning...ther are only two other games where I spend so many time and never get bored: Skyrim and the game of chess. ADOM is in many ways similar to the game of chess I think, pawns are always the same, moves and history are always the same, but anyway every game is a different experience from the previous one.
    Last edited by Rick; 09-09-2015 at 08:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just want to say Hi Gordon, you are one of those who gave me the hints to proceed, I saw your videos before meet the forum, especially the run for the ultra win was epic! I'm watching it again now that I am trying Ultra....
    I think the hard part to understand is what to do with the trinity of chaos, and that you need to be corrupted, if you are unspoiled...still I think that regular win is possible, Ultra win is way too much complicate to gain without spoilers....
    Thanks for the nice words :-) Yeah, I really enjoyed the ultra run, too... especially since it was the first successful ultra for me, too. All in all I am still more into fast paced games with limited ressources, such as lithium challenges, speed runs etc.
    However, fingers are crossed for your own ultra attemp!

e: Just in case you didn't know, there is another successful ultra run on youtube, played by game master. He did a really good job, so you might want to watch that, too.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    e: Just in case you didn't know, there is another successful ultra run on youtube, played by game master. He did a really good job, so you might want to watch that, too.
    Thanks I will surely check this..now I'm taking a break, the situation is this: ratling and crone has been satisfied, I'm just out IQ domain at 87 days..I could reach in time for 90's day the stone circle, but I'm not sure what to do, he is still level 20 and not so powerful for such a task like this, since the time was spent looking for ingredients (you notice the power of 7LB only when you miss'em for the entire game)..usually lot before the 90 days I have already closed the gate or I'm pretty dead...so, go in or wait again, this will take me here for a while...but I think I won't risk.

I beat it unspoiled and no save scumming. It took a few years of playing on and off. It was a long time ago, so I don't remember how I solved everything. I do remember doing some stupid stuff.

I remember going off into a dungeon without buying food, running around starving and finding a kobold to kill and eat. Then dying of sickness.
    I rarely ever did the carpenter quest, as I didn't realize he could be healed and I could get the healing skill. So I always did the druid quest.
    It took me a long time to understand cursed and doomed. I always wore the black torc and for awhile I thought the crown of science was the best item in the game.
    After I figured out how important potions of insight were, I started to understand the effects of cursed and doom, and I started to narrow down what caused it.
    I was actually in the habit of eating any corpse that I had not eaten before just so I could see what they did or didn't do.
    I did figure out that spider corpse gave poison resist. When I encountered bees I figured they would do the same, but they don't and I lost a few characters that way before realizing it.
    I did a ton of experimenting with eating corpses.
    It actually took me awhile to figure out what the ring of weakness was doing, since I was playing an wizard running atlas' strength non-stop. I played for about an hour before noticing my str was at 2.
    I never knew you could pre-crown or post-crown until after I beat the game.
    I didn't even realize there was an ultra ending.
    I didn't grow herbs, I just picked every patch I saw.
    I couldn't figure out what rooms of very rich flavor did.
    Death rays were really not much of an issue, since I was in the habit of wearing the ancient mummy wrap and the ankh.
    The first thing I did after talking to the oracle for the first time was kill her to see if she had anything cool. I don't remember if I killed her first try, but when she dropped a corpse I ate.
    The first time I found bees wax I stuck it in my ears trying to figure out what it did and ran around deaf for awhile, before realizing all I had to do was clean my ears out.
    With the mud in the face rooms, I was trying to figure out how to cure my blindness, without even realizing what caused it. Then I went back to message log and saw I had mud in my face.
    I died over and over and over to the corruption poison hands. I never realized thick gauntlets would stop it, so I would save any corruption removal just in case I got it.
    I used traps of corruption and the lives of many characters to figure out all the different corruptions.

All in all I think the biggest mile stone was overcoming curse and doomed. When you don't understand how these two things work they do a lot of damage. It is not really until I started to understand what caused doom and how to remove it that I started to get ahead in the game.

It was just a lot of trial and error and stopping to take time to read things over. I got in the habit of just stopping and taking a survey of my inventory and saying is there anything here I can use to help me out of this situation. When I got really pressed I started looking over the manual for clues and talking to NPCs. Playing that way, you don't really see each character as a potential win, all you really want to do is learn something new and get a bit further.

I loved playing the game unspoiled, but after I beat it for the fist time, I allowed myself to get online and read up on it.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer