Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: just like ADOM?

Ever tried Wizardry 7? It's designed for multi-party, but it's possible to solo it (though it really helps to generate at least a partial party and kill them off for solo runs, since inventory space is pretty limited and there are LOTS of quest items to carry around). It's pretty challenging both in terms of combat difficulty, and has some tricky quests/puzzles. Making ridiculously overpowered characters is definitely a possibility, too.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Silfir and Dlightful - you'd probably both really benefit from checking out doomrl if you haven't already - for different reasons!
    Dlightful, because you enjoy finding powerful combinations and builds, and doomrl is a game all about finding those extremely complimentary combinations and quirks.
    Silfir, because doomrl pushed you onward relentlessly, and all that matters at the end of any given run is whether or not you could manage to win. Your progress through the game, in effect, is how many challenge games you've successfully got a win with!
    My orc thief just died.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Ever tried Wizardry 7? It's designed for multi-party, but it's possible to solo it (though it really helps to generate at least a partial party and kill them off for solo runs, since inventory space is pretty limited and there are LOTS of quest items to carry around). It's pretty challenging both in terms of combat difficulty, and has some tricky quests/puzzles. Making ridiculously overpowered characters is definitely a possibility, too.
    i've tried it, but for some reason i didn't stick to it, maybe i should give it another look.

Quote Originally Posted by sylph View Post
    Silfir and Dlightful - you'd probably both really benefit from checking out doomrl if you haven't already - for different reasons!
    Dlightful, because you enjoy finding powerful combinations and builds, and doomrl is a game all about finding those extremely complimentary combinations and quirks.
    Silfir, because doomrl pushed you onward relentlessly, and all that matters at the end of any given run is whether or not you could manage to win. Your progress through the game, in effect, is how many challenge games you've successfully got a win with!
    Although i prefer fantasy settings, i might give it a go. Does it have some quests/story or it's only a dungeon crawler?

Out of the games I've played, no, not even close. And unlike you I'm not sure I want to come across another such game of such depth. I'm a mere 30-year-young baby and I feel like I could blink and be 80. Tempus Fugit.

For the similarity with ADoM you should give a try to Tales of Maj'Eyal ( ToME4 )
    http://te4.org/

It's a roguelike that has an actual a story and some twists (and lots of various lore to find), same as in Adom it's not just a dungeon but you have a world map to explore with several locations (cities/dungeons/etc..), and every class/race combo (lots you will unlock during gameplay) are playing differently so there's a lot of replay value to have even if you complete it.

Then there's additional game modes that add to the game (arena, infinite dungeon, and various addons/mods) for even more replayability.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    Out of the games I've played, no, not even close. And unlike you I'm not sure I want to come across another such game of such depth. I'm a mere 30-year-young baby and I feel like I could blink and be 80. Tempus Fugit.
    I'm also 30, but i have plenty of time. Although sometimes i wish i'd have spent it reading rather than playing games, but i do that too, so i guess it's not that bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Fizanko View Post
    For the similarity with ADoM you should give a try to Tales of Maj'Eyal ( ToME4 )
    http://te4.org/

It's a roguelike that has an actual a story and some twists (and lots of various lore to find), same as in Adom it's not just a dungeon but you have a world map to explore with several locations (cities/dungeons/etc..), and every class/race combo (lots you will unlock during gameplay) are playing differently so there's a lot of replay value to have even if you complete it.

Then there's additional game modes that add to the game (arena, infinite dungeon, and various addons/mods) for even more replayability.
    I didn't really like ToME4, i played it, won it a couple of times, but i got bored.

Now i have found a game that keeps me hooked the way ADOM did. The strange thing is that it's very different . It's Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead and i absolutely love it.

It's a brutal game, especially in the beginning, but it has a lot of depth and is still under construction, so new cool stuff keeps coming from time to time.

Good luck getting a steady water supply while avoiding being butchered .

Yes, i agree that Cataclysm DDA is a great game, full of very good features (the crafting system is fantastic as you can build so much) but to keep with the thread "similar to Adom", it's indeed different in its system, as there's no map -> dungeon , the world map is continuous and the locations are all part of it without having to enter/exit a location (and probably why the save system produce thousands of files) like in classic rpg/roguelikes .

I'd give Caves of Qud a recommendation, it's another roguelike that's due to hit Steam around the same time ADOM does. The public version's old as hell by now but still good.

Legerdemain. It's a RPG-roguelike hybrid (not pure roguelike due to saving at inns circumventing permadeath, and non-random dungeons) with a really really deep story and lore.

I'm playing it again after 5 years and it's still awesome. The most underrated RPG/roguelike that I know, I seriously don't know why it didn't get to be famous. And it's the game that feels most like ADOM (apart from ADOM I mean ) to me.
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 05-24-2015 at 05:44 PM.

thanks guys for the recommendations, will check them up.