Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: just like ADOM?

Default just like ADOM?

Hi guys,

i may have asked this same question before.

Is there any other RPG game as good and as deep as ADOM? With a thought out quest system and stuff like that?

I don't really like other roguelikes that are just dumb dungeon crawlers.

I have made the big mistake of spoiling myself, so i intend to find another game similar to ADOM (if there is one) and play it completely unspoiled.

The game I've played that felt the most like ADOM was FTL. It's science fiction instead of fantasy, not strictly an RPG or a roguelike (there are no dungeons or grid maps, combat is not strictly turn-based, but freely pausable, so you get all the time in the world to think your actions through), and unless you amend it with mods, it's not open world, either. What it does do great that ADOM does as well is story. You will go through something between 80 and 100 star systems in a successful playthrough, and many of them play out like mini-quests, with choices to be made, unexpected twists and turns, and all woven into cohesive world building.

I have yet to see a fantasy roguelike RPG that was not ADOM that I felt like playing for the long haul. To me ADOM is the pinnacle.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Silfir View Post
    The game I've played that felt the most like ADOM was FTL. It's science fiction instead of fantasy, not strictly an RPG or a roguelike (there are no dungeons or grid maps, combat is not strictly turn-based, but freely pausable, so you get all the time in the world to think your actions through), and unless you amend it with mods, it's not open world, either. What it does do great that ADOM does as well is story. You will go through something between 80 and 100 star systems in a successful playthrough, and many of them play out like mini-quests, with choices to be made, unexpected twists and turns, and all woven into cohesive world building.

I have yet to see a fantasy roguelike RPG that was not ADOM that I felt like playing for the long haul. To me ADOM is the pinnacle.
    I've played FTL, finished it a couple of times on normal difficulty with different ships, but after that i lost interest, since i'm not a completionist type. FTL is a bit too random for my liking. What i disliked about FTL is that it pushes me forward constantly. ADOM does it a lot less, with background corruption.

Besides the story and the depth of the game, i love to build powerful PC's in ADOM, like archmages, overpowered AotME monks etc.

I thought as much - I noticed before we approach the game very differently.
    ADOM Guides - whatever you wanted to know about playing a certain class, but have been afraid to ask!

Check out my youtube channel to see my ADOM videos, including a completed playthrough of the game. I try to give instructions, so if you want to see some place you haven't been before and get some hints on how to deal with it, this might help! There's also some other games featured there that you might find interesting.

I thought as much - I noticed before we approach the game very differently.
    what is your approach?

I want to save the world without frills or needless extracurriculars, and minimal amounts of grinding. How powerful my character becomes is an afterthought to me; I only want them to be just powerful enough that I can win, whatever way I can think of.

Because it pushes you forward constantly, grinding isn't an option, and you have to adapt to whatever you get along the way, FTL is a perfect fit for me.

I want to save the world without frills or needless extracurriculars, and minimal amounts of grinding. How powerful my character becomes is an afterthought to me; I only want them to be just powerful enough that I can win, whatever way I can think of.

Because it pushes you forward constantly, grinding isn't an option, and you have to adapt to whatever you get along the way, FTL is a perfect fit for me.
    I see. So you try to save the world with every peasant, while i think that only a true hero can do it . And i, indeed, get into a lot of grinding. I also quit the char right from the start if i don't like the stats or equipment.

There's also something to think about - is closing the gate=saving the world? or only ULE/UNE can be considered as truly saving it?
    Last edited by Dlightfull; 04-10-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Of not strictly roguelikes I quite like Darkest Dungeon. Dungeons, psychotic adventurers and turn based combat.

Except the fact how so graphically limited game can have so many issues while trying to run on laptop [not just for me, there is lot of whining from people who try to get it working on lap top, most usaully succeed although]

I think a lot of RPGs from the 80s or so have a lot of similar properties. It depends exactly on what features in ADOM you are looking for most. Do you care most about difficulty? Complexity? Story or quests? Random dungeons etc.? Does it have to be rogue like?

For the other bit, closing the gate is saving the world. Ultra is something you do once or twice just to say you did it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I think a lot of RPGs from the 80s or so have a lot of similar properties. It depends exactly on what features in ADOM you are looking for most. Do you care most about difficulty? Complexity? Story or quests? Random dungeons etc.? Does it have to be rogue like?

For the other bit, closing the gate is saving the world. Ultra is something you do once or twice just to say you did it.
    well, i don't think i can identify exactly what i like about ADOM, it's probably how it succeeds to combine everything so good. I don't think it has to be roguelike. I don't really like first person games, like Daggerfall, for example. I absolutely love turn based, since i need to pay attention to my kids often.

I liked Morrowind though, especially how you could build a mage that could obliterate everything, that was cool. I love Fallout 1&2, but i hate the new wasteland game, i guess i like to play solo, not with a group. When i played Baldur's Gate, i did it solo too.