Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ice Queen Domain

I avoid everything after the first quest.

1) Rewards aren't very good
    2) the entrance is too hard (the golems crit too high)
    3) its a pain to walk through the area, changing your equipment is a pain
    4) if you are a spell caster forget it until you are much higher level than the content, at which point it is a waste of time

The main advantage is getting an extra greater vault which gives you alot of exp *assuming you can clear it*

The place is way too difficult for a "pre TOEF". If you can do that place then toef is a cakewalk. Maybe i have more experience in the toef but yeah.

I agree with Carter, though it's not so much difficult as annoying.
    With a ring of fire, 20 PV and ~120 HP, it's doable.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    I agree with Carter, though it's not so much difficult as annoying.
    With a ring of fire, 20 PV and ~120 HP, it's doable.
    you don't need any of those. You need invisibility, plus a ring of ice and alchemy, but even those are not needed.

Not a monster in IQD sees invisible, so it's pretty much a cakewalk, once you get some means of invisibility. You only need to be able to kill the Berserker prince and a couple yetis and that's all.

As a wizard i go there as early as lvl 16, if i manage to clear everything else before that.

If you don't kill a lot of monsters inside, there's absolutely no item damage whatsoever, so the AMW is more than enough. You can even pick items up in the battle ground, angering the monsters, and not fightning them, being invisible, although maneuvering carefully is mandatory.

imo, you MUST kill only 6 monsters in the IQD....chaos diplomat / icequeen, berserker prince, 4 yetis. the 1st 2 are obvious...about the yetis, the best way to deal with them is to be invis and swap with the yetis on the topmost row 1 by 1 and reach the end of the screen...then go to the next screen. the yeti adjacent to you, which you have swapped with, will decide to follow you. slaughter him. repeat 3 more times. win. no need for AMW, rings of ice/fire, alchemy, etc. the only things you need are invis (spell, potions, ring, cloak, intrinsic) + water breathing (helm, amulet, =ofish, skill, intrinsic)

I always felt an unlockable shortcut on the wilderness would be nice.

There is a small shortcut at the spot where fire creatures enter the battlefield.
    As for the ring of ice - it's completely useless in IQD, since there are no monsters using fire there.
    Ring of fire on the other hand is very useful and not just because it protects inventory from the environment, as it becomes more hostile with each monster killed.
    It's useful against breathers that use ice and these are pretty common, more so in the FGJC caves.
    Even without killing monsters in the IQD, I believe some small item damage is present at all times.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 04-14-2015 at 12:24 AM.

There is a small shortcut at the spot where fire creatures enter the battlefield.
    As for the ring of ice - it's completely useless in ICD, since there are no monsters using fire there.
    Ring of fire on the other hand is very useful and not just because it protects inventory from the environment, as it becomes more hostile with each monster killed.
    It's useful against breathers that use ice and these are pretty common, more so in the FGJC caves.
    Even without killing monsters in the ICD, I believe some small item damage is present at all times.
    Ring of Ice is good in conjunction with Alchemy, since fire magic doesn't work there, but ALchemy works wonderful.

I never had any inventory damage before getting the message of environment getting hostile because of monsters killed.

If you're invisible, no one breathes ice at you, unless you start to melee them. A caster with some fire spells is easy mode in IQD and Jarl Caves. I usually go there as soon as i clear the pyramid and have the basic items and i get a lot of levels in those caves, plus some strength from the giants and a couple of artifacts from the vault (although these depend on the type of vault, but more than 50% of the time it's a red dragon vault and more often than not with a single wyrm, i think i only got GRV and GGV in FGJC, tbh)

Alchemy works fine but using it against monsters in IQD is also the best way to quickly drop from L+ to C-.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlightfull View Post
    A caster with some fire spells is easy mode in IQD
    A caster PC is prevented from casting ANY fire spells in IQD, including wands.
    Obviously you have not tried any of those or you would know it's impossible to cast them.
    The penalty for using what little fire is possible - alchemic or crystals - in the ice realm, is extreme alignment drop.
    Considering the fact I almost always play L+ characters, that's not a good idea.
    Not to mention how few of my characters have alchemy.
    Also, vast majority of my chars don't have access to fire spells and if they do, it's usually a wand of fire or fireballs with limited charges, used for emergencies.
    Hardly something I would want to regularly use in FGJC.

IQD is also fairly high DL and all monsters drop lots of items, including rings of djinni summoning.
    With ring of fire, you don't need invisibility which lowers exp and instead you can slay everything in melee with ease, to gain lots of items and possibly a level or two, with no alignment drops.
    Also, yetis and berserkers don't see through invisibility so you are forced to chase them around instead of having them come to you to be executed in an orderly fashion.
    Overall it's a better idea to slay everything while wearing AMW and ring of fire.
    That way you can ignore environment hostility entirely and profit from drops and exp at the same time.
    There's plenty of choke points and free space areas for tactical maneuvers so I don't see a reason to sneak in, unless your char is really weak and ill-equipped.

But if that is the case then what are you doing there in the first place?
    FGJC is an even more dangerous place so there is no reason to venture into the IQD to speak with the Ice Queen before you're ready to handle the greater vault in the caves.
    If you can handle the vault then IQD is a walk in the park, invis or not.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 04-14-2015 at 12:26 AM.

well, i have never lost alignment doing alchemy in the IQD...mayb its the latest version. ofc, if you use it on friendlies, then there is alignment drop....but as i said, you need to kill only a couple of monsters to do the quest. also, my analysis is HEAVILY coloured by the fact that i almost always play drakes and they just cant afford to kill past the point where the environment becomes harsh to them, else their speed drops to 10. finally, i too have never experienced inventory loss in the IQD b4 this point.

Alchemy works fine but using it against monsters in IQD is also the best way to quickly drop from L+ to C-.

A caster PC is prevented from casting ANY fire spells in IQD, including wands.
    Obviously you have not tried any of those or you would know it's impossible to cast them.
    The penalty for using what little fire is possible - alchemic or crystals - in the ice realm, is extreme alignment drop.
    Considering the fact I almost always play L+ characters, that's not a good idea.
    Not to mention how few of my characters have alchemy.
    Also, vast majority of my chars don't have access to fire spells and if they do, it's usually a wand of fire or fireballs with limited charges, used for emergencies.
    Hardly something I would want to regularly use in FGJC.

IQD is also fairly high DL and all monsters drop lots of items, including rings of djinni summoning.
    With ring of fire, you don't need invisibility which lowers exp and instead you can slay everything in melee with ease, to gain lots of items and possibly a level or two, with no alignment drops.
    Also, yetis and berserkers don't see through invisibility so you are forced to chase them around instead of having them come to you to be executed in an orderly fashion.
    Overall it's a better idea to slay everything while wearing AMW and ring of fire.
    That way you can ignore environment hostility entirely and profit from drops and exp at the same time.
    There's plenty of choke points and free space areas for tactical maneuvers so I don't see a reason to sneak in, unless your char is really weak and ill-equipped.

But if that is the case then what are you doing there in the first place?
    FGJC is an even more dangerous place so there is no reason to venture into the IQD to speak with the Ice Queen before you're ready to handle the greater vault in the caves.
    If you can handle the vault then IQD is a walk in the park, invis or not.
    I meant FGJC, fire spells in FGJC work without any problems.

I mostly play casters these days, so i only go to IQD for the quests. I kill the denizens after doing all the quests, to prevent the hassle of the (more) prompt.