Thread: Andy got JELLIED?!

Default Andy got JELLIED?!

Hi all! I'm playing a dark elven wizard going for my first ultra ending. I did a lot of scumming (banshee in the forest), because I've been playing this game for close to a decade and I want to finally get an ultra ending before I move on to more productive things in life, lol. Here's my situation: I got to Andy, and like any good wizard I decided to melee him to death (after throwing the potion of cure corruption, of course!). I have the "attached to chaos, corrupting foes" corruption, and every time attacked Andy I saw the message "Andor Drakon seems to be corrupted". After getting him to moderately injured, I saw the message "Andor Drakon is horribly transformed into a being of primal chaos!".

That's it. He turned into a purple j. Still named Andor Drakon, still had ~10000HP. He could barely hurt me with melee attacks, nor could he casts spells or teleport. I couldn't hurt him with the ToRR anymore because the corruption healed him too much (and I was no longer critting every hit). I left all my ammo except humanoid and demon slayers outside the chaos gate, so I couldn't make use of jelly slaying ammo. However, I didn't get any message about spellcasting increasing his power, so I just acidballed him to death. Really boring.

After I killed him, he just disappeared. No "Andor drakon _____s one last time before blah blah blah". I can still move around and kill other monsters on the chaos plane (and still get massively corrupted by background radiation). I've checked every single purple j that my monster detection wand showed me, just to make sure he didn't teleport or run away.

What happened? I've never read about this happening before...I always thought that right after you defeat him the game ends! I'm playing 1.2.0p5 on the server. It seems like all I can do is wait for the corruption to turn me into a purple j myself--a fitting end, I suppose.

Any insight would be appreciated!
    You climb upwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading downwards here.
    You climb downwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading upwards here. You hear a grinding sound in the distance.

The bad news: your ultra attempt failed due to a bug.
    The good news: it's an awesome bug, and you're the first to discover it.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Great job. You defeated the Chaos God with his own weaponry and now you will join his fate by slowly transforming into a fellow purple j

Ouch

Why p5 and not p23, though?

Ah, now I see what the issue was. I'm guessing the creator didn't foresee someone attempting to corrupt Andy to death. This probably would never be a problem before adding the new corruptions....because who in their right mind would unequip the TotRR to use a different weapon with a corruption suffix? Obviously that's more of an issue when you've got the "attached to chaos" corruption.

and of course the catch is that if I were to be playing on a newer prerelease I wouldn't have been able to scum so hard with the banshee. I'd be curious to know if this bug has been fixed already in later prereleases. But I definitely don't have enough time to attempt another ultra ending LOL! Oh well, I absolutely would have been prepared to fight the REAL andy, so I'm gonna consider this a victory in my book
    You climb upwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading downwards here.
    You climb downwards...
    These caverns almost seem to be endless. There is a stair leading upwards here. You hear a grinding sound in the distance.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo mastr View Post
    I decided to melee him to death (after throwing the potion of cure corruption, of course!)
    I wonder what would have happened without throwing the PoCC. Do corrupting melee hits affect monsters that have a corrupting melee attack themselves? If not, it would be the interaction of thrown PoCC and the new corruption that causes the bug.

Either way, very stylish.

If you could please report the bug in Issue management, that would be great.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by tipo mastr View Post
    Ah, now I see what the issue was. I'm guessing the creator didn't foresee someone attempting to corrupt Andy to death. This probably would never be a problem before adding the new corruptions....because who in their right mind would unequip the TotRR to use a different weapon with a corruption suffix? Obviously that's more of an issue when you've got the "attached to chaos" corruption.

and of course the catch is that if I were to be playing on a newer prerelease I wouldn't have been able to scum so hard with the banshee. I'd be curious to know if this bug has been fixed already in later prereleases. But I definitely don't have enough time to attempt another ultra ending LOL! Oh well, I absolutely would have been prepared to fight the REAL andy, so I'm gonna consider this a victory in my book
    I think the banshee killing trees got fixed, but you really don't need that much scumming for an ultra. I think i'm one of the most grindy people playing ADOM and i didn't need the banshee anywhere. An ultra is not so long if you have a bit of luck. Not a lot longer than a regular win anyway.

I may be missing it, but I don't see a bug report on this yet.

Awesome job finding it, now spare the hapless steam users