Heaven knows what I'm getting myself into, but after 5 ordinary victories I decided to go for my first ultra ending.
Mackerel, the Dwarvish paladin, had a very nice start... got to HMV, killed Keethrax, found a lawful altar on the cavernous puppy level right next to the downstairs, got Ironfist as precrown (not very spectacular but not very bad either), fed the Demented Ratling with Golden Gladius, Sword of Nonnak, Black Torc, Potion of Literacy, Moon Sickle, Ironfist (which the ratling equipped, which was quite a surprise to me), and Big Punch... The ratling kept on calling me a fool but I thought this was normal... but when nothing happened I looked it up and it turns out you have to be chaotic when feeding the ratling.

Bummer.

Oh well. A pity, but my character was quite promising, so I decided to go for another normal victory instead.
Did all the usual stuff, at level 19 I entered the Ice Queen domain. Normally, when I don't have any water breathing items, I drop all my stuff at the start of the level where the Chaos Diplomat resides. This time, however, I dropped my stuff at the level where the battle took place. Got the quest from the Ice Queen, returned to the battle ground, picked up my stuff, the army of ice creatures gets pissed off and turns Mackerel, the dwarvish paladin, into frozen fish sticks.

I guess I was playing rather carelessly after the disappointment of the failed ultra attempt, but I do feel kind of screwed over by turning the ice army hostile after picking up stuff that was mine in the first place.

The conclusion would be that I still have a lot to learn if I'm to succeed in an ultra ending