Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wish and artifacts

Default Wish and artifacts

This isn't an RFE, I'm just curious. Why is wishing for (random) artifacts not allowed? You can already often use a wish to get 6 SoCR's/book of teleport/book of id, and I guess I wonder if a randomly chosen artifact would really be more powerful than that.

I'm guessing it's simply part of ADOM lore that random artifacts have to come from somewhere or something (precrowning/greater vault/minotaur emperor/lucky random drop/etc.) and just cannot be wished for, as powerful as that magic is, to further establish they're special and unique items.

Of course, for all we know it is a code limitation or something similar

Interestingly, wishing for "help" while surrounded gives you a random blessed weapon (in your hand if unarmed, in your backpack otherwise), which can be an artifact. That's the only way I know of directly getting one from a wish.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    I'm guessing it's simply part of ADOM lore that random artifacts have to come from somewhere or something (precrowning/greater vault/minotaur emperor/lucky random drop/etc.) and just cannot be wished for, as powerful as that magic is, to further establish they're special and unique items.

Of course, for all we know it is a code limitation or something similar

Interestingly, wishing for "help" while surrounded gives you a random blessed weapon (in your hand if unarmed, in your backpack otherwise), which can be an artifact. That's the only way I know of directly getting one from a wish.
    That's crazy. I had no idea that was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    That's crazy. I had no idea that was possible.
    me neither.

very interesting. i once built an archmage who had 10k hp / sp (i haven't even taken him to the gate yet got bored doing it) but i wonder how many artifacts would get from 10k wishes for "help"!

If you get surrounded by 4 fire beetles and name then 'John', 'Paul', 'Ringo' and 'George', and then wish for 'help' it will play that song out of your computer speakers.

True story.

Can you wish for Potion of Uselessness?

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    If you get surrounded by 4 fire beetles and name then 'John', 'Paul', 'Ringo' and 'George', and then wish for 'help' it will play that song out of your computer speakers.

True story.
    Oooh, an ADOM urban legend

Quote Originally Posted by hq3473 View Post
    Sure you can. They're neither artifacts nor one-of-a-kind, just very rare regular items.
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by hq3473 View Post
    They work only once.

Additionally potions of uselessness only have an actual use at the point in the game where it doesn't matter what artifact you get since you're already set for D:50.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Additionally potions of uselessness only have an actual use at the point in the game where it doesn't matter what artifact you get since you're already set for D:50.
    It doesn't doesn't matter, I've gotten BoW and Preserver in the past, took it as my god's way of telling me : "you go champ". I was stoked.