Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wish and artifacts

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    Anyone else like the idea of adding randarts? Seems like it would make things less predictable, and they couldn't be much less balanced than the existing ones.
    I would like a
    Code:
    weeping jet-black battle axe of devastation
    please

Quote Originally Posted by mjkittredge View Post
    TOME has them. As the random nature works, they can be really underwhelming or very powerful. Seem to be rare enough so it doesn't throw the game out of whack
    Yup, TOME's the implementation I'm most familiar with. Even with the theming system that that game uses, the artifacts feel very bland. I'm less concerned with balance as with how the game feels, as ADOM's artifacts are hilariously unbalanced but still really fun.

Anyone else like the idea of adding randarts? Seems like it would make things less predictable, and they couldn't be much less balanced than the existing ones.
    don't like it, it is basically turning a unique item into another call of powerful items above regular onces. We already have eterniums.

I think having way to add prefixes/suffixes on weapons could substitute for randarts.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana
    I think having way to add prefixes/suffixes on weapons could substitute for randarts.
    Mmm murderous eternium two-handed sword of devastation...
    Yes please.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    "Of penetration" weapons are way too strong. There are no way to add this kind of mechanic and still have a balanced game.

Quote Originally Posted by taickyto View Post
    "Of penetration" weapons are way too strong. There are no way to add this kind of mechanic and still have a balanced game.
    Not really much stronger then "of devastation".
    Not sure if ability to add [limited times per game] random suffix/prefix would break anything.

I am not advocating to let player choose suffix/prefix, cause choices would be rather obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Not really much stronger then "of devastation".
    Quite a lot stronger.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    Quite a lot stronger.
    Well,of devastation is like +6 to damage and +4dice. So if we take for example large eternium hammer as base [don't recall if these can be suffixed although] - hammer would get 4d10+6 which averages at 28. Not so many monsters with PV>30ish

One should keep in mind that some of PV monster like balors get that 1.5 modifier on these 28 and thei certainly do not have 42 PV. So penetration is really good against molochs and maybe golems [for later it depends on one's critical hit rate].

Honestly of penetration thing is significantly better only if smithed extensively.

You can already often use a wish to get 6 SoCR's/book of teleport/book of id, and I guess I wonder if a randomly chosen artifact would really be more powerful than that.
    You can only wish for those if you (a) know what to wish for (b) do it in a timely manor (c) can survive to get to it. It's not direct. Furthermore those books can be pretty worthless to many classes (at least I haven't used them the past many times I've saved Khelly since I haven't played spell casters in a long time).

I wouldn't be against it if it was implemented. But if my pre-crowning luck is any indicator of what i might get I might stick to wishing to normal things.

Also, I got a wand of wishing and with the second to last one I wished for !ofUselessness on my last play through. Got Perions platemail and didn't use it. Not sure I would risk a random artifact when their are definite great things you can wish for.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer