Thread: 1.2 Drakeling Assassin

Default 1.2 Drakeling Assassin

Hi people !

I gave assassins a shot not long ago and I managed to finish the game with a Drakeling one !

I decided to have this char, Tao, start the hard way and go for a cute dog rescue mission even before he got healing. Succeeding, he then rescued the carpenter and went to the CoC straight away.

He found a very nice Orcish Knife of devastation (5d3+8) in the big room and used it for the first half of the game, along with a decent mithril tower shield.
    Thrundarr's quests were easy except for the second one, where DH:1 had a tension room full of quickling king... I fortunately had a scroll of familiar summoning and let Aang, the greater air elemental, buy some time for me to escape and go the tedious way through the animated forest.

I couldn't get a early crowning and went for DwarfForge, the graveyard and the pyramid. The only things I got from DF were an adamantium plate mail and a decent amount of XP. Being lvl 18 with the AMW I headed toward the Ice Queen Domain.
    I got the first quest from her Highness, went to the Frost Giant Cave and finally had a decent altar, in a place full of fairly high DL monsters just waiting to be sacced.

Some turns later, I'm crowned with fire immunity (the best one can get) and Executor ! Now I know the RNG kills one cute dog for every char failing with it, But I am a puppy rescuer, I was then invincible.
    The greater vault was a giant one, so I could try my humanoid slaying weapon and get 8 weapon skill levels in axes. I got Perion's Plate Mail, Silver Key and a lot of money from it.

I then went for the ToeF; with fire immunity, a blessed ring of regeneration and 300 speed from being a drakeling, it was a breeze.

I acquired the fire orb, finished the second quest for the ice lady (Chaos diplomat does not break free from acid spitting... so having 10 speed is not a problem) and ended up having 41str.

I then dove into the CoC... First problem I had was a very experienced cat lord... I had killed maybe 30 cats when I got to him and he was strong. I lured him away and got past him, killed the "master" summoner, killed all of another greater giant vault on D:45, found a ring of djinni summoning, wished for wands of paralyzations, and as the pussy lord could not shrug off the first one, he went down to Executor.

Earth temple was no trouble, but when I got to D:46 I had to fight an entire tension room of Titans. Now, with Executor they drop dead quickly enough, and they give good xp, but this is just my luck with tension rooms; another char had encountered a GREATER titan tension room.

Well, I killed them all, went in UL, avoided a Doppleganger King (25 Wi wasn't enough I guess) and went for the mana temple. The fact that the Archmage can tp... I was not prepared. He caught me when I was looking for traps and went all the usual, darkness and bolt spells and death rays. My god also gave me the finger when, at 60hp -after 2 death rays in a row- he decided I was a nuisance. But Executor is a stronger diety and I could finish the man.

Now, this is where it gets odd. You'd think that as an assassin with lvl 12 in axes, with Executor and a tower eternium shield I cannot fail D:50. But I almost did.

I went through D:49, quickly enough with my missile weapon range, only to find I had no potion of uselessness left.
    So I get to D:50, summon a greater Earth elemental, and start killing the foes I see.
    When one drops a potion of uselessness, I choose to go back one turn in D:49, use it, get the artefact and come back.
    Well, 2 turns in D:49 were enough to drop to 10 speed. But I got Protector.
    With 10 speed, I couldn't fight at all, but I could train my newly acquired shield ! I swear it took less than 100 turns to get 2 levels in shields; from 10 to 12.
    Every chaos mutant on the level was aggroed, they were tearing me apart. I prayed 3 times in a row to survive and my lord decided to punish me.
    I was cursed.
    But I had a friend. And what friend... He went from 2 attacks a turn, with 50 speed, to 22 attacks with 120 speed, each attack dealing 670dmg.
    He killed the greater balor in one turn.

I left him there.

I'm happy he's there. Guarding the gates of chaos. Should ever Andor Drakor cross this door, He'll find something no one can beat.

What about me ? Well... All along I was strong, but my true goal was to let someone stronger than me guard the cursed gates.

I am happy.
    Last edited by taickyto; 05-26-2015 at 05:03 AM.