Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why monster memory doesn't always display xp for killed monsters?

Default Why monster memory doesn't always display xp for killed monsters?

My ratling elementalist encountered a hydra in the wilderness and killed it easily from afar. I wanted to check the monster memory for experience gained only to find the information missing? I thought it might be a bug or something since I leveled up right after the kill, but then I checked some other single kills and while most of them do display experience average, some of them don't. Why? Is it random? Every other information about the hydra I could get from killing it with spells, i.e. HP and speed, is there, so why not the xp?

Screen: http://i.imgur.com/H5SYXAD.jpg
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

If it shows experience average, doesn't that mean you need to kill more than 1 of them?

Just a thought.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Maybe the character has low learning and it depends?

Quote Originally Posted by ghostjghost View Post
    If it shows experience average, doesn't that mean you need to kill more than 1 of them?

Just a thought.
    Nope.
    http://i.imgur.com/HSAbJIj.png
    EDIT: HP is missing here though, so that's a hint information will not be complete all the time I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    Maybe the character has low learning and it depends?
    14 Learning, so not that low.
    Last edited by Scooter Fox; 05-28-2015 at 12:40 PM.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

14? not that high I would say

A stat score of 10 is supposed to be average. If a learning of 14 is causing information to be withheld from the player, something is wrong.

realistic doesn't mean fun, and complicated doesn't even mean realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    realistic doesn't mean fun, and complicated doesn't even mean realistic.
    O_0 every part is debatable

I cannot get it, how 10 can be average... Maybe I played wrong race-class combos, I almost always had higher than 10.
    Last edited by sweetnothing; 05-29-2015 at 05:10 AM.

O_0 every part is debatable.
    This part isn't:

I cannot get it, how 10 can be average... Maybe I played wrong race-class combos, I almost always had higher than 10.
    The ADOM manual says 10 is an average score. See for yourself (it's under attributes). I'm playing r52, but I really doubt that line has changed in more recent versions.

most pc's have scores higher than 10 because they're special, average dudes can't save the world. unless soirana is playing them. Then they can have all 1's.

This really shows how using 'realism' to not give the player info (charges on wands or whatever) falls on its face. You can't even tell if it's a bug or not.

I understand your point. I've read the manual. Ok, let 10 be average. I'm glad my characters are superheros. Though this information is practically useless because average superhero has a better learning and you cannot play non-superhero in this game.

I personally like that 'realistic' aspect, it makes roguelikes much different from other games. Yes, it makes the game harder, less predictable. But the game is not even been supposed to be easy and pleasant and funny and whatever. It was supposed to be challenging. The challenge is the purpose of a roguelike game. It can be very hard challenge, but as long as you know it's beatable, you would want to beat it and that's the point.