Thread: Ring of luck isn't that good, they said

Default Ring of luck isn't that good, they said

I'm spamming these threads a bit lately, but please excuse me, I'm having too much fun.

http://ancardia.wikia.com/wiki/Ring_of_luck - "Generally somewhat useful, but the effect should not be overstated."

http://i.imgur.com/Ioj9MY0.png - "somewhat useful". This is crowned champion + blessed ankh + blessed ring of luck + Treasure Hunter, after TotHK and IQD/FGJC (without greater vault), but before ToEF, minotaurs and banshee. I'm currently exploring the Rift. I absolutely love Detect Item Status skill, I can check most of these weapons as soon as I find them.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

To my knowledge, the only luck that affects item generation in ADOM is real-world one.
    "And light there be!"

Two blessed rings of luck greatly increase the chance to safely descend the rift.
    That's the major use I see for this otherwise petty item.
    For most intents and purposes, ankh does a sufficiently good job and there are fewer useful amulets than useful rings.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by anon123 View Post
    To my knowledge, the only luck that affects item generation in ADOM is real-world one.
    [citation needed]

Really though, if there's a list of things affected by luck, I'd definitely like to see it. I thought luck has a lot to do with item destruction chance and avoiding critical/PV ignoring hits, so affecting RNG on item attributes wouldn't be counter-intuitive.
    Last edited by Scooter Fox; 05-29-2015 at 03:19 PM.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    [citation needed]

Really though, if there's a list of things affected by luck, I'd definitely like to see it. I thought luck has a lot to do with item destruction chance and avoiding critical/PV ignoring hits, so affecting RNG on item attributes wouldn't be counter-intuitive.
    FWIW, I have played games doomed from start to finish and have never noticed any drop in the quality of items due to poor luck.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Although you are probably noticed a sudden crash, crack and overall breakage of quality due to been doomed

I find Luck is very useful in certain key points in the game
    but none more important then the first couple of lvls when you've just started.
    It's the difference between hitting your target before hitting one-shotted for all your health.

Now, whether it's in-game Luck or Real-Life RNG that has the higher weight on the out-come, I can't say.
    All I know is that I'm Cursed and Doomed before I even roll my character......