Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rolf's combo

Default rolf's combo

I didnt hear it befpre mentioned like here of another, but this is in
    wikia : Rolf companion and savior when used together mahe quite nice combo, comparable in hit damage with weapons of devastation if not slikgtly better in +damage may be worse in XdY prefix.. im not sure but rolf companion seems like +16 axe or something

if so it is definitely worth obtaining imo as as i am not wrong it may be obtained relatively early if someone has some luck here

shield part is worse as this is only +9 shield though anyway i thing this pair is fine balanced gift obtainable

Real problem is that, compared to the items you get for being Neutral, The axe just isn't worth it.

I mean, if both the shield and the axe were guaranteed, it might be worth going for if you happen to be Lawful (and the Ring of ice was also guaranteed.)

Quote Originally Posted by TheCableGuy View Post
    Real problem is that, compared to the items you get for being Neutral, The axe just isn't worth it.

I mean, if both the shield and the axe were guaranteed, it might be worth going for if you happen to be Lawful (and the Ring of ice was also guaranteed.)
    IM a bit curious to play dwarwen fighter (should be asy syart and try to obtain this combo early...
    wonder of other artifact nature friend shield with other nature armour maybe is doing some combo bonus too...?

PS Im not sure it isnt wort it, imo it could be good weapon for whole midgame even maybe early late game, it is not necessary to find much better weapon even in later game (comparable maybe slighty better if got some good sufixes) but not terribly better .. not sure though
    Last edited by fir; 05-30-2015 at 09:12 PM.

As I see it, there are three problems with the Rolf set:
    -Not guaranteed to actually get it.
    -Missing out on other valuable rewards (4 SoCR + RoI from mystic, rewards from Thrundarr 4th quest)
    -Damage/defensive output of Rolf set is fairly comparable to Big Punch + crystal tower shield.

The third thing is a bit of a problem, since Big Punch is trivial to get for any character who might want the shield, and decent shields aren't so terribly hard to find by that point in the game. Rolf set gives better PV (and +3 To) than typical shields, but I don't know that it's enough to justify the cost. For certain types of game (lithium man), there may be tactical advantages if you need the extra fire resistances desperately for the ToEF, I guess.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    As I see it, there are three problems with the Rolf set:
    -Not guaranteed to actually get it.
    -Missing out on other valuable rewards (4 SoCR + RoI from mystic, rewards from Thrundarr 4th quest)
    -Damage/defensive output of Rolf set is fairly comparable to Big Punch + crystal tower shield.

The third thing is a bit of a problem, since Big Punch is trivial to get for any character who might want the shield, and decent shields aren't so terribly hard to find by that point in the game. Rolf set gives better PV (and +3 To) than typical shields, but I don't know that it's enough to justify the cost. For certain types of game (lithium man), there may be tactical advantages if you need the extra fire resistances desperately for the ToEF, I guess.
    dont think so if bigpunch is comparable. big punch is shit (*)

uncursed lead-filled mace "Big Punch" (+1, 8d5+3) [-6, +0]-

where rolf companion is really when used in combo and wielded lefthanded
    with savior as they say

blessed dwarven rune axe "Rolf's Companion" (+13, 3d6 + 16) [+4, +4] {To +3}.

its damn good

(*) ps well 8d5 stands 24 + 3 where companion is 10.5 + 16, like the same
    27 damage, but those prefix is not multiplied by berserk i think (not quite sure how it works), also gread to hit difference and great to dv pv difference of [10, 4]
    though bigpunch may be used with betterr shield...bigpunch is sh*t imo,
    27 damage but very weak hit DV and not scales with berserk tactics, and
    where companion exuipped with savior it looks nicely in raport stats..

Os i checked and started a game with dwarf fighter, i never played dwarf, not in my style (i play elf fighters of semifighters only) no reason to play dwarf but with
    this combo tere is some reason to play

about dwarf fighter, easy like smeitank, insane HP , (compared to elves)
    visibly better regeneration , cheap prices,
    though dangerously worse working DV, insane food consumption (like a
    troll :] )

found first altar l;evel down dwarftown, wondered if i go precrovnig
    at 11 here as i touched keetrax level before (though retreated before wildcat)
    and then met si - yea, got precrowned easily, but with black tome

I got idea to read it, i thought it will teach me the spell, as magic artifact even if i am not a wizard but didnt teached me (didnt magae to understood) and gave 2 coruptions,, grow thorns and mana battery, not so scary even fun to be fighter and buff PP

disapointment that i didnt get companion, dont know why only junk
    equipment, bufff
    (I also discovered that i do not have to cross animal forest, if go there (but not cros only touch the tree level) before assignment it will be other quest later or something)
    so dwarven fighter ready thundar quests done everythings well but no companion
    sadly,.- this makes no sense i wanted damn companion, with this companion and my level 13-14 it would begin the fun there 9well i would have to get teleported to mystic and take shield yet :/ )

maybe i would need take shield before.. then thundar will add companion to savior..m not sure..damn again im a bit overtired (though early game in adom as usual is more bright then andgame which is depressive and gloomy as corruptins themselves (or gollums or nazgull, all this very dark fantazy im not especially like - to dark and gloomy for me. but maybe its a must, dont know))
    Last edited by fir; 05-31-2015 at 01:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fir View Post
    dont think so if bigpunch is comparable. big punch is shit (*)

uncursed lead-filled mace "Big Punch" (+1, 8d5+3) [-6, +0]-

where rolf companion is really when used in combo and wielded lefthanded
    with savior as they say

blessed dwarven rune axe "Rolf's Companion" (+13, 3d6 + 16) [+4, +4] {To +3}.

its damn good

(*) ps well 8d5 stands 24 + 3 where companion is 10.5 + 16, like the same
    27 damage, but those prefix is not multiplied by berserk i think (not quite sure how it works), also gread to hit difference and great to dv pv difference of [10, 4]
    though bigpunch may be used with betterr shield...bigpunch is sh*t imo,
    Big Punch is excellent. It is the best guaranteed weapon in the midgame, and is comparable to most two-handed weapons in terms of raw damage--good enough to win the game with if you have bad luck with weapons otherwise. Rolf set is slightly better in terms of damage (to-hit is pretty meaningless beyond the early game), but Big Punch is close enough. Defensively, Rolf set is quite good with a net [+13,+10] {+3 To}, I agree, and this is the main reason to really consider it. I just don't feel that the marginal gains of the set--assuming you can even get it--is worth the loss of the other items when there's a comparable weapon, at least, right around the corner. As I said, in some special situations, it can be quite useful to get the Rolf set. It's just rare that you're in one of those situations and are lucky enough to get it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Big Punch is excellent. It is the best guaranteed weapon in the midgame, and is comparable to most two-handed weapons in terms of raw damage--good enough to win the game with if you have bad luck with weapons otherwise. Rolf set is slightly better in terms of damage (to-hit is pretty meaningless beyond the early game), but Big Punch is close enough. Defensively, Rolf set is quite good with a net [+13,+10] {+3 To}, I agree, and this is the main reason to really consider it. I just don't feel that the marginal gains of the set--assuming you can even get it--is worth the loss of the other items when there's a comparable weapon, at least, right around the corner. As I said, in some special situations, it can be quite useful to get the Rolf set. It's just rare that you're in one of those situations and are lucky enough to get it.
    Well with my He archer right now on lvl 41

Code:
    Archerrkk     St:51  Le:28  Wi:29  Dx:41  To:30  Ch:13  Ap:26  Ma:30  Pe:31 L+
    DV/PV: 81/73   H: 581(581)    P: 352(352)    Exp: 41/13067994   D: 1  Sp: 99
    Bloated Strained Berserk

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Right hand: +128 bonus to hit, 5d9+89 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    Ammunition: 1, base range: 70, +149 bonus to hit, 15d5+68 damage

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                      Inventory
    Total weight: 40501 stones                Carrying capacity: 28762 stones

Head          : uncursed helm of water breathing (+1, +1) [+7, +8]    [30s]
    Neck          : blessed ankh                                           [3s]
    Body          : blessed mithril plate mail of carrying (-2, -4) [+10, +13]
    Girdle        : blessed adamantium girdle [+7, +10]                   [18s]
    Cloak         : uncursed cloak of defense [+6, +0]                    [20s]
    Right Hand    : uncursed wicked adamantium mace of devastation (+0, 5d9+12)
    Left Hand     : blessed tower eternium shield (-1) [+20, +8]          [70s]
    Right Ring    : blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Left Ring     : blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)
    Bracers       : blessed bracers of war [+8, +4] {Dx+8}                [10s]
    Gauntlets     : uncursed gauntlets (-1, +0) [+7, +13]                 [10s]
    Boots         : uncursed adamantium boots [+6, +9]                    [89s]
    Missile Weapon: uncursed long bow (+2, +2)                            [30s]
    Missiles      : blessed silvery arrow "True Aim" (+10, 15d5)           [2s]
    Tool          : uncursed Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire {St+10}         [100s]
    for wicked adamantium mace of devastation
    and

Code:
    Archerrkk     St:51  Le:28  Wi:29  Dx:41  To:33  Ch:13  Ap:26  Ma:30  Pe:31 L+
    DV/PV: 72/76   H: 582(583)    P: 352(352)    Exp: 41/13067994   D: 1  Sp: 99
    Bloated Strained Berserk
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character Information

Archerrkk    St:51  Le:28  Wi:29  Dx:41  To:33  Ch:13  Ap:26  Ma:30  Pe:31
    L+
    DV/PV: 72/76   H: 582(583)   P: 352(352)   Exp: 41/13067994   M: 318700

Damage caused with your melee weapons:
    --------------------------------------
    Left hand: +148 bonus to hit, 3d6+91 damage

Damage caused with your missile weapons:
    ----------------------------------------
    Ammunition: 1, base range: 70, +149 bonus to hit, 15d5+68 damage

Inventory
    Total weight: 40501 stones                Carrying capacity: 28762 stones

He: uncursed helm of water breathing (+1, +1) [+7, +8]                [30s]
    Ne: blessed ankh                                                       [3s]
    Bo: blessed mithril plate mail of carrying (-2, -4) [+10, +13]       [400s]
    Gi: blessed adamantium girdle [+7, +10]                               [18s]
    Cl: uncursed cloak of defense [+6, +0]                                [20s]
    RH: blessed dwarven shield "Rolf's Saviour" (+2) [+9, +6]            [120s]
    LH: blessed dwarven rune axe "Rolf's Companion" (+3, 3d6+6) [+4, +4] {To+3}
    RR: blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)       [1s]
    LR: blessed ring of slaying (+6 melee damage, +6 missile damage)       [1s]
    Br: blessed bracers of war [+8, +4] {Dx+8}                            [10s]
    Ga: uncursed gauntlets (-1, +0) [+7, +13]                             [10s]
    Bo: uncursed adamantium boots [+6, +9]                                [89s]
    MW: uncursed long bow (+2, +2)                                        [30s]
    Mi: blessed silvery arrow "True Aim" (+10, 15d5)                       [2s]
    Tl: uncursed Chaos Orb of Elemental Fire {St+10}                     [100s]
    for rolfs combo

four such weapon trains and corruptions

Code:
    You sweat blood (Ch: -2, Ap: -4, +5 speed).
    You rage (DV: -9, +6 melee damage)!
    You exhale sulphur (Ch: -4).
    Your eye(s) turned black (Pe: +3).

Weapon Skills

Melee weapon           Lvl   Hit   Dam   DV   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Unarmed fighting         1    +1    +0   +0   basic                16
    Daggers & knives         7    +6    +3   +1   skilled              162
    Clubs & hammers          9    +7    +5   +3   excellent            407
    Maces & flails          13   +14   +10   +4   Mastery              3251
    Swords                   3    +2    +1   +0   basic                52
    Axes                    10    +9    +7   +3   excellent            1237
    Whips                    6    +6    +3   +6   skilled              84
    Pole arms               11   +12    +7  +14   Mastery              1507
    Twohanded weapons        5    +4    +6   +1   skilled              86
    Staves                   1    +1    +0   +1   basic                20

Missile weapon         Lvl   Hit   Dam   Ra   Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---   ---   --   -------------  --------------
    Slings                   9   +18   +13   +3   excellent            252
    Bows                    10   +20   +15   +3   excellent            676
    Crossbows                7   +14   +10   +2   skilled              120
    Thrown axes & hammers    0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Thrown daggers           1    +2    +1   +0   basic                11
    Thrown rocks & clubs    11   +22   +16   +3   Mastery              910
    Thrown spears            0    +0    +0   +0   unskilled            7
    Boomerangs & scurgari    6   +12    +9   +2   skilled              107

Shields                Lvl   DV               Level          Required marks
    ---------------------  ---   ---              -------------  --------------
    Shields                 11   +22              Mastery              2159
    i got axex 3 levels down the maces

this means rolfs combo is best damage weapon still avaliable even in late game to me
    (if excluded prefix damage) i cnow prefix counts too but the tail damege is what i most like

also hit +148 against +128 is nice for me though im not sure if that counts as y say, DV is 9 point less tnx to +9 shield against +20 eternium shield, though PV is 3 points up despite [+20 +8] eternium shield,, Toughness is 3 points higher but curiously it only drives up HP for sole 3 points (why?)

the only problem is only that it not trains the shield up 9 level (or 8? 10?)..
    wonder if i should to gremlin caves train axe up yet..
    Last edited by fir; 05-31-2015 at 10:18 AM.

also hit +148 against +128 is nice for me though im not sure if that counts as y say, DV is 9 point less tnx to +9 shield against +20 eternium shield, though PV is 3 points up despite [+20 +8] eternium shield,, Toughness is 3 points higher but curiously it only drives up HP for sole 3 points (why?)
    Are you sure? Shield skill only grants a DV up to twice the shield bonus, so with Saviour you are already losing (22-18)=4 DV extra, and you don't train the shield skill.

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Are you sure? Shield skill only grants a DV up to twice the shield bonus, so with Saviour you are already losing (22-18)=4 DV extra, and you don't train the shield skill.
    i take it form the raport line above

Archerrkk St:51 Le:28 Wi:29 Dx:41 To:30 Ch:13 Ap:26 Ma:30 Pe:31 L+
    DV/PV: 81/73 H: 581(581) P: 352(352) Exp: 41/13067994 D: 1 Sp: 99
    Bloated Strained Berserk

with tower eternium [20, 8] and wicked adamantium mace of devestation

Archerrkk St:51 Le:28 Wi:29 Dx:41 To:33 Ch:13 Ap:26 Ma:30 Pe:31 L+
    DV/PV: 72/76 H: 582(583) P: 352(352) Exp: 41/13067994 D: 1 Sp: 99
    Bloated Strained Berserk

with rolfs combo is 9 points less, spear would give better DV but i didnt find nice
    one later i will dive down yet to mana temple and there was if i not wrong greater undead vault maybe something will be there - though im afraid a bit as this char is
    still damagable by ghost lords and rust monsters etc

does maybe someone know what is most dangerous in such emperor lich infamous vaults?
    After level 40 i gor the ability of 20% chnce to missile penetrate armour so it may help me maybe a bit - except that ghost can go through walls and maybe surround me..

this means rolfs combo is best damage weapon still avaliable even in late game to m
    Looks to me like your mace does a lot more damage. 3d6+91 for Rolf vs 5d8+89 for the mace. The difference isn't huge, but it's 15% or so. That's basically equivalent the effect of having find weakness at 100 versus not having it at all. Personally, I'd normally pick rune-covered trident at this point in the game over either weapon.

Though given that you have True Aim on an archer, it doesn't really matter what your weapon is.