Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Eternium man considerations for the newest versions

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Mist Elves with their White Necromancy provide a unique opportunity for this - since you can make a regenerating clay statue by level 6, you can have an arbitrary amount of companions at your beck and call, unlike bards that are limited to their starting one (since you can't charm anyone on that level) and necromancers that face the problem of not being able to heal their slaves.
    mist elves are an interesting one.

problems i can see

1) no gardening (could go for a bard i guess)
    2) very low HP which means vortexes would become very dangerous

Quote Originally Posted by SinsI View Post
    Mist Elves with their White Necromancy provide a unique opportunity for this - since you can make a regenerating clay statue by level 6, you can have an arbitrary amount of companions at your beck and call, unlike bards that are limited to their starting one (since you can't charm anyone on that level) and necromancers that face the problem of not being able to heal their slaves.

problems i can see

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post

problems i can see

Actually, Mist Elven Farmers would be an awesome choice. They start with a dog for early emergencies (unlikely to keep it alive, but still) as well as more herb seeds that any other Farmers (1d4+1d3+2 vs. 1d4+2) and higher initial Gardening skill (because it scales with Learning) allowing you to jumpstart farms without any levels (requires a bit of rerolling though). They start with 3 basically guaranteed talents to allow for Heir (pretty solid for Farmers with [+3, +3] and +4To boost).

Early potions of exchange can also immensely boost the char if they swap stellar Ap, Dx, Pe and Ma for some physical stats. Vortices can be avoided with homunculi, so not that much of an issue IMHO.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    Vortices can be avoided with homunculi
    explain?

The dog is very very weak - it will die quite easily without some really good luck. Though heir would help.

I imagine the strategy would be to train up a bunch of a white necromancy slaves and let them kill everything for hundreds of thousands of turns to get the level of loot required.

definiately have to try this on the weekend.

i would say the best race/class is gnomish/hurtling (fast leveling) necromancer (slaves/food preservation/herbalism) who finds an altar (for piety/status/blessing water/crowning) on SMC. this will allow for easy precrownings/crownings/postcrownings (Chaotic ofcourse) and it will allow for many ghuls at you disposal to allow for easy slaughter of all enemies that cant be sacced. ideally he should be candle born. this will require many re-rolls since the altar is crucial. and getting him started with a ghul is also not trivial. ofcourse a summoner/ ooze can really screw things up. get scrolls of danger and raise the DL of the cave to 8 and then start trying for RoDS. the best way i feel is indeed to wish for emperor moloch and kill all the greater moloch with magic missiles applying slow monster on yourself while delivering the final hit, and tp whenever you are surrounded. you can even rearrange the layout of the cave by digging appropriately. the only risk ( other than death ) is that a moloch might step on your altar and destroy it....but well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    explain?
    Order it to attack the vortex and build some distance from it? Better for it to die than you.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Spoiler:
    use the (white) necromancy from mist elves on clay balls

Been wondering about this. As I recall (maybe I was always wrong? Never seen *anyone* talk about it) the SMC used to keep the monster-types at the starting danger level, so you'd be fighting level 50 rats -- whereas now a quickling queen can spawn and strip you of all health before you have a chance to act.

Another new feature I've not seen talked about is the warning message after leveling up. It seems this is an extremely delayed out-of-depth monster spawning mechanism. I once had an altar and kept sacrificing at level 2 and then after about 10 minutes of RL gameplay a troll berserker showed up (which I also sacrificed). As if things weren't hairy enough already...

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Possibly easiest way is to spawn SMC with an altar, then get your luck to run out. A couple sacrifices should take you to level 50 easily enough.
    Pretty ingenius but I wonder of TB had the foresight to prohibit steam achievement unlocks if the game is in a 'luck ran out' state...

The danger level of SMC scales with your XP total.