Thread: Belmont impersonation

Default Belmont impersonation

I thought about it recently, an impersonation of main characters from classic Castlevania games; basically a human Duelist who must adhere to class power restrictions (light armor, no shield, not burdened etc.) with additional weapon restrictions: only whips in melee and daggers/knives + axes for ranged attacks, maybe black torc as an equivalent of Cross subweapon too. Depending on how true to the idea a player would like to be, spells/wands/offensive alchemy may or may not be allowed (though it might be an overkill). So, anyone tried something similar before? Is it even realistically possible to do? It seems like a fun idea to me, though I'm pretty sure it's still too hard for me.

Whips can be acquired from goblin slavemasters and should be equipped as soon as one is found, which will probably happen even before CoC. Can whips spawn with item prefixes/suffixes? Even if not, whips of the snake, coupled with good Dexterity stat and great bonuses from Whips weapon skill could provide decent late game. I imagine one would have to be very careful with item destruction, considering what material whips are made of. Ranged weapon restriction pretty much removes any slaying ammunition; are suffixes like "of penetration" accounted for when a weapon is thrown? That would help, though missile destruction might be pretty damn disgusting when it matters. Background corruption might be also a problem as I imagine it would take a very long time to properly prepare a character for mid to late game.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Whips of penetration do exist, though rarely.
    I like the idea, but not everything is clear with restrictions (because I did not play Castlevania):

1) Are familiars allowed?
    2) Any spells? Maybe non-offensive ones are passable?
    3) Are spears allowed as a thrown weapon?

I was using Castlevania 1 and 3 from NES as a reference.

1) If you want to be strict about the challenge, then no.
    2) Generally, if you wanted to stay true to the original games, then no wands, no potions, no scrolls, no spells and no herbs would be allowed, but that's stupid since the original games were generally limited as they were 8 bit platformers and obviously didn't have things like corruption etc. I think this should be left to the player's discretion, though extensive offensive spellcasting and Teleportation would break the immersion IMO. Maybe wands only for spells?
    3) No.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Well, there was Life Potion/Items in the game so I don't really see how they would break the theme.
    I don't really see how potions or Scrolls shouldn't be allowed. Nothing about the Games actually exclude Belmont from using them.

He would probably be excluded from using some of the more "Evil" themed weapons (anything with "vampirism" or "Ashen" would be a no-no but "of the sun" would be fair game.)
    No spells and maybe a limited use of wands. I'd say Limited use scrolls as well but Potions should be allowed (especially Healing Pots..)

Boomerangs count as a range weapon too. The Cross'a'rang was in the game.....
    (too bad the Ankh doesn't double as a Thrown Weapon too. Maybe the Holy Symbol should too.)

Also, anyone one else think that a Deamon-Hunter Class would be epic in this game?

Also, anyone one else think that a Deamon-Hunter Class would be epic in this game?

Isn't that the job of a Paladin? - the holy warrior that goes out to slay undead and demons in the name of their god?

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Quote Originally Posted by ghostjghost View Post

Isn't that the job of a Paladin? - the holy warrior that goes out to slay undead and demons in the name of their god?
    Well, no. Not strictly speaking. A Paladin is a Knight who fights in the name of their god, true
    But a Paladin of the God of Death probably doesn't spend his time exterminating Undead
    Nor a Paladin of Chaos has any beef with Demons ..... or, at least, any aligned demons.

And that's even LESS relevant in ADOM, in which Alignment and Religion has very little relevance to class.
    Maybe it should. But it doesn't.