Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Everything you always wanted to know about ADOM but was afraid to ask

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    Reading of source code is not necessary to ascend in NetHack. I've recently read a story about a man who beat NetHack without spoilers/source code diving etc. That was a really interesting story I would say. In fact, he has done a research of the game, played a lot in exploration mode, figured out effects of all corpses, un-ID'ed wand messages, etc. I think this approach to roguelikes has its own unique benefits and is rewarding in its own way. You would feel yourself as a true trailblazer.
    That man who won Nethack without spoilers... CRPGAddict?

I've won ADOM many times without spoilers, but: I was much younger (lots of time to waste), spend years on it and decision feedback in ADOM is much better (I could quit to check what intrinsic drinking from pool gave me etc.).
    Reading source code is necessary to win Omega, though. No, it doesn't even help. That game was a nightmare, Jesus Christ on a pogo stick.

Quote Originally Posted by kuniqs View Post
    Nethack - bloodsports for people too flimsy to play rugby.
    Since Omega I renounce games that expect me to read their sourcecode if I want to know what's going on.
    I must admit that since I started to play ADOM deeper I didn't play NetHack anymore, first impression was of too much semplifications of some aspects (really? a blessed scroll of Id ALWAYS Id ALL?? AND I KNOW THE WEIGHT OF MY STUFF??) but the game is really good balanced and funny under many other ways, more freedom than NetHack... anyway still remains in my heart for years of playing

I thought they were married. Also you don't really put food on the table, do you?
    Well, they can't even recognize a farmer from another, I think they could be in habit with some free opinions exchange...and I'm the only one who can literally put her husband corpse on her table

Since amulet has really low Charisma score, you don't like it and act like you haven't recognized it to avoid an awkward conversation.
    This sounds like there is really a reason for that rather than a bug?

Because they are constantly drunk (the sergeants that is). Ever saw a sober sergeant?

Because orc sergeants aren't allowed to die without permission!
    That make sense...so sergeants are sergeants in every world...still, the AI show it's best when a literate chaos wizard step quietly on the altar even after seeing what happens...

Cats are mean. Human-level intelligence cats are mean.

They are mean, selfish, lying, cruel, uncaring, absent... everything adventurers hate in men, they love in cats.
    What I learned is: don't panick! I saw the difference meeting him after a blind rage against cats (after the usual mistake) or after killing just one...you still don't want to kill the cats, even if the ring is lost you DON'T want to kill the cats.

The player yelled "Punish me!", and the RNG said "No".
    Pray Lloth to make you reach HMV alive with your first ring of Djinny, and he will do it because he know there is that mimic in the shop...you die...and I'm still cursing Lloth...

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnothing View Post
    Reading of source code is not necessary to ascend in NetHack. I've recently read a story about a man who beat NetHack without spoilers/source code diving etc. That was a really interesting story I would say. In fact, he has done a research of the game, played a lot in exploration mode, figured out effects of all corpses, un-ID'ed wand messages, etc. I think this approach to roguelikes has its own unique benefits and is rewarding in its own way. You would feel yourself as a true trailblazer.
    I used to read the stories because I had my YASD and wanted to see were I was wrong, I've played NH for REALLY long time and ascended only two times..sure it's not impossible but you have very few hints at some point, still I don't remember how one should know that you have to find that vibrating square...difference I think between games is that NetHack has only the difficult way, while ADOM gives more hints for an easy way (I won in less than year, well with some spoiler when I was stuck) BUT gives you the opportunity to ULTRA-win the game with a very tricky search..never get even close to this for now..

This can be something that "you always wanted to know about ADOM but was afraid to ask" to who manage to ultra-win the game, how do you understand how to do it the first time?

1) How you know Khel must live? Anyway you can understand what Khelavaster needs..after he dies so many times maybe just try this to see what happen...

2) How do you know to search for the old woman? But maybe after hours of random searching something appears...

3) How do you know that you have to find the guild and where to find Filk? But maybe with some luck the stairs can be found, and the next time you will take care about your first kill...so step by step..

4) How do you know of the darknight? This really I don't know..

5) How do you know you must enter the gate (and the conditions to do it) instead of closing it? And everything I forget?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    1) How you know Khel must live? Anyway you can understand what Khelavaster needs..after he dies so many times maybe just try this to see what happen...
    "Healing spells don't work, but give a special message... Maybe if I give him this life saving amulet that's been good for nothing something happens?"
    2) How do you know to search for the old woman?
    But maybe after hours of random searching something appears...
    3) How do you know that you have to find the guild and where to find Filk? But maybe with some luck the stairs can be found, and the next time you will take care about your first kill...so step by step..
    Found the Guild by curiosity. Didn't knew what to do with the prince first, second and third time. How do you know you have to bring the useless wyrm dagger here to push the plot forward?
    4) How do you know of the darknight? This really I don't know..
    I just sat there pressing '>' all the time until I was very suprised.
    5) How do you know you must enter the gate (and the conditions to do it) instead of closing it? And everything I forget?
    I entered the gate with my first winner (orc barbarian, dual-wielding executor & purifier... yeah, I didn't knew better) just to see what happens.
    How do you know you have to be extremely corrupted? (How do you define 'extremely', anyway?)

Quote Originally Posted by mjz15 View Post
    Consider the following course of action. Watching a Gordon Overkill video on Youtube, I saw him do this: On D:50, he reads a scroll of familiar summoning, which gives him a tame greater earth elemental. He zaps a wand of monster creation, which gives him a second greater earth elemental. He orders GEE #1 to attack GEE #2, and we have a duel of GEE's. Whenever one of them gets injured, he casts a healing spell on it, so none of them will die, so they can continue the fight. So in a nutshell: he summons two creatures, befriends them, and makes them fight each other indefinitely. I can hardly think of a more sadistic thing to do. But here's the big punchline: he gets rewarded for LAWFUL BEHAVIOR! Let me try and paint a more realistic picture for you: let's say you were to keep two ferocious dogs and make them fight each other. Whenever a dog gets seriously injured, you perform surgery on it so it can fight again. You do this over and over again. Would you consider this a lawful thing to do, just because you keep on healing the dogs? This is the kind of twisted sense of justice that the ADOM gods have. Now am I alone in this opinion or does anyone else think this is pretty sick?
    Somehow I knew this would oneday backfire on me x-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

Healing earth elementals? That's nothing. Watch gut become L+ by force feeding a thousand devil's roses to beggars, or.. his other methods.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by grobblewobble View Post
    Healing earth elementals? That's nothing. Watch gut become L+ by force feeding a thousand devil's roses to beggars, or.. his other methods.
    Now I'm curious about the other methods

Quote Originally Posted by GordonOverkill View Post
    Somehow I knew this would oneday backfire on me x-)
    Don't lose any sleep over it, you had to do what you had to do :P

I used to read the stories because I had my YASD and wanted to see were I was wrong, I've played NH for REALLY long time and ascended only two times..sure it's not impossible but you have very few hints at some point, still I don't remember how one should know that you have to find that vibrating square...
    I found that story: http://groups.google.com/group/rec.g...8ea5e7052e214? You could read about how he found out about the vibrating square from there.

Regarding your points

1) Saving Khelly gives much better rewards than non-saving. So you will naturally try to save it every game. Also, when saved, he gives some hints that he can be useful later ("Maybe we will meet later" or something like that).

2) Wizard with magic mapping spell

3) Well, there's only one stairs in the game that teleports you away when you try to climb on it. Sooner or later you will guess that you need to activate every trap on the level to enter it and then you will see the guild there. AFAIK the location of Filk is given by the assassin prince. You could also find Filk travelling in ID as a mindcrafter.

4) The old women or that ratling (don't remember who exactly) gives a hint.

5) I personally did not tried, but wiki says that Oracle in High Mountain Village tells you about ordinary chaos god ending, it requires entering gates too. Also, gates are for entering them, aren't they?

EDIT. Final argument: how do you think spoilers were created? Keep in mind that we have no program sources for ADOM comparing to, say, NetHack. Ultra-ending was found by someone by trial and error. I would personally would like to know who made the ultra-ending first, it would be interesting to ask him/her.
    Last edited by sweetnothing; 06-27-2015 at 01:39 PM.

One of the few things I managed in the 90's was to get to the arena, gladius was a huge item.
    There was basically no reason to skip arena, go to dwarf town and later get arena quest
    This is one of few, "now I know this area" and the game fools you to do wrong everytime.
    How did you find this out and how long did it take?

The notion of chat with NPCs for info and quest could be gotten from playing other games like mud for example but it's very suttle and hidden among a ton of other game commands, on top of that very few gives answers or quests.
    How long did it take until you began using chat command and do you recall which was your first quest?

The alternate quests in Terinyo is a trap similar to arena reward, you think you know something and begin repeating that part which would make the other quest never gotten.
    How did you find out of the other quest?