Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critically-hit for 600 HP, jolly good

Evidently using ToGu's patch, which makes the death even worse - in the regular game that doppler king would have berserked and caused over 1000 damage.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    Nature's Friend. Check the FLG. Lust For Glory supposedly can't be generated in 1.1.1 unless the executable is hacked.
    He said lust for glory in his post. But the flg show nature's friend so as I suspected it was just a misnomer

Hmm.. nice, I just noticed that he generated an adamantium dagger of penetration as well. Amazing luck. But i guess its worthless if the PC died right? ;P
    Last edited by pblack; 07-24-2009 at 07:01 PM.

Sorry, it was Nature's Friend, not Lust for Glory. The two of them, cumulated, seem to give every resistance in the game, just like the long sword Trusted One. Nature's Friends is the one with all the elemental resistances, so used for ToEF.

Not really sure about the silver key, because that trek in the wilderness was something like: do Pyramid, get to Griffyard, pickpocket everything on the level above, pickpocket each skeleton that attacked while in the tunnel, dump valuable/heavy stuff, go finish off Keethrax. While descending towards Keethrax I noticed a weird message when opening the door, because it'd been done with the silver key. I'd never seen it before either. I like pickpocketting. You get extra water, and occasionally a really good item, or something moderately useful: blankets of all 3 types, the iron gauntlets ironfist etc etc. And while you're at it your shield gets to block and deflect attacks, increasing your skill in Shields, so it's useful.

Yeah, I'm using the ToGu patch, maybe that's why I could find it. It does indeed state that it makes several non-guaranteed artifacts obtainable again. I'm actually kind of annoyed by the prevention of the monster fighting in a blind rage, because that would've been fair. On the other hand, the one useful thing it ought to do, stop monsters levelling up so quickly, well, it doesn't do it, or at least I don't notice much of a difference. Large spiders always become a huge pain, so do jackals. I mostly get it with spiders because I wander around the Big Room a lot.
    Last edited by Jack the Ripper; 07-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Not really sure about the silver key ... Yeah, I'm using the ToGu patch, maybe that's why I could find it. It does indeed state that it makes several non-guaranteed artifacts obtainable again.
    There's more to this business about "Crowning artifacts are not available randomly." than is currently understood (by me, at least). The Bracers of War, the Emerald Dagger, the Robes of Resistance, even Executor, for god's sake, are supposedly crowning artifacts for certain classes, yet they are certainly available randomly in 1.1.1. Other crowning artifacts seem not to be available randomly - the Shirt of the Saints and of course Vanquisher spring to mind.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Well, my understanding is that there is a list of "random artifacts" that can be found by all players. These include Whirlwind, Executor, Wyrmlance, etc.

Some of these artifacts can also be crowning gifts. In fact, many of them are.

There is another set of artifacts that cannot be found randomly, and are only available when the player is crowned. Justifier, Vanquisher, Sun's Messenger, etc. fall into this category.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

There's more to this business about "Crowning artifacts are not available randomly." than is currently understood (by me, at least). The Bracers of War, the Emerald Dagger, the Robes of Resistance, even Executor, for god's sake, are supposedly crowning artifacts for certain classes, yet they are certainly available randomly in 1.1.1. Other crowning artifacts seem not to be available randomly - the Shirt of the Saints and of course Vanquisher spring to mind.
    Fact. I didn't know vanquisher was in the bunch too. I guess i never realized it.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Well, my understanding is that there is a list of "random artifacts" that can be found by all players.
    That seems to fit the observations. So the question arises what's the easiest way to generate a list. Scum PoU results? How spoily do we get in general posts? And how is the select the spoily text thing done? Wrap HTML tags and specify font color?

For spoily, you can do [color=lemonchiffon ]some spoily text here[/ color] without the spaces.

This is the list the I used when writing the ADOM Wiki: Artifact. I'm pretty confident in the placements of about 98% of the artifacts there. There's only one or two that I'm not completely sure of.

You could probably test it by just repeatedly generating level 50 characters in ADOMBot, then getting the a bunch of precrowns. The only limitation would be that you'd have to assume that the precrown list is entirely the same as the random list... Alternatively, just going through the hall of fame as seeing what the artifact lists look like would probably work okay.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

That seems to fit the observations. So the question arises what's the easiest way to generate a list. Scum PoU results? How spoily do we get in general posts? And how is the select the spoily text thing done? Wrap HTML tags and specify font color?
    AFAIK, somehow some of the non-guaranteed artifacts weren't obtainabile anymore. Togu thought this was a bug on TB's part, so his patch made them available again. Using the patch, I've definitely obtained Vanquisher as a pre-crown gift. Don't really know what exactly the problem is in Adom 1.1.1. . I'll try digging up the RGRA archives. Might find something useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    AFAIK, somehow some of the non-guaranteed artifacts weren't obtainabile anymore. Togu thought this was a bug on TB's part, so his patch made them available again. Using the patch, I've definitely obtained Vanquisher as a pre-crown gift. Don't really know what exactly the problem is in Adom 1.1.1. . I'll try digging up the RGRA archives. Might find something useful.
    As I understand it, TB's implementation of class-specific crowning gifts was intended. This was to stop complaints about "stupid" deities giving a beastfighter a weapon as a crowning gift, for example. This may have had the unintended consequence of making certain artifacts unobtainable by any means; Lust For Glory is such a case. It also, presumably intentionally, made some artifacts obtainable only by certain classes at crowning time. Another effect was that the crowning gift was decided at the start of the game. Prior to this, crowning gifts were randomly decided at crowning time (making them scummable). ToGu's patch, as I understand it, does away with class-specific crowning gifts, among other things. That is probably not a good thing. The other things it does are debatable.