Thread: Sinister Library and Bug Temple

Default Sinister Library and Bug Temple

So, I've had profoundly bad RoDs/AoLS luck this game, but really good luck otherwise. I've got a level 29 DE assassin with Nature's companion and True Aim, and I'm basically killing time while a potion shop restocks so that I can get more PoEx to keep dipping for a ring or amulet. I've already done FGJC, ToEF, and Minotaur Maze (and sipped dry pretty much every pool in the drakalor chain). I'm thinking of doing the sinister library and bug temple while I'm waiting.

Question 1: what's an absolutely safe number of turns to wait for the ghost librarian? I've waited 2000+ and not gotten the tome before, and I wonder if this is potentially race related (he doesn't like DE or whatever). I know it's variable, but what's the upper limit?

Question 2: what are the minimal dv/pv/damage output needed to take on the bug temple somewhat safely? How should I dress? Should I switch to eternium plate from nature's companion for pv?

Question 3: Assuming stacks of the same size, are you better off dipping necklaces or rings to get a Khelvy saving item?

Q2: They ignore PV.
    Snipped from wiki on killer bugs:
    "A DV score of 100 is often not enough to save the PC from all of their attacks. They are thus easily capable of dealing at least 100 damage to a PC in a single turn; being surrounded by multiple killer bugs can easily prove to be fatal even to very well armored PCs in the late game."

Add the fact that they are breeders and shrug a lot.
    Most ppl recommend area spells, as assassin make sure to bless your booze/scrolls of charging and load up all the wands of fireballs you have.

Edit:
    I've grinded cavernous rooms in high king tomb with decent success.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    Question 3: Assuming stacks of the same size, are you better off dipping necklaces or rings to get a Khelvy saving item?
    Rings [assuming DL permits djinni rings - D8 is popular choice I believe]. AoLS has a chance of under 1%, RoDs ~5.

Quote Originally Posted by Soirana View Post
    Rings [assuming DL permits djinni rings - D8 is popular choice I believe]. AoLS has a chance of under 1%, RoDs ~5.
    I've been doing crumbing cave. Surely the problem isn't the location, right? I mean, it should be way, way over DL 8, shouldn't it?

Oh, yeah, one more thing. I'm at about day 130. I know that's a lot, but there's no way I'm going below d 16 without saving Khelvy. How does the level of corruption that implies work with an ultra? I'm confident I can close the gate fine, but for the battle with AD is environmental corruption going to fry me? I've never been inside the gate.

Background corruption pales in comparison with the chaos plane.
    Your best bet is to stock on a crapton of scrolls of corruption removal, while day 30 or 130 doesn't matter in the least.
    For rods dipping - go to CoC and just do it on SI level, it's the best place.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    Background corruption pales in comparison with the chaos plane.
    Your best bet is to stock on a crapton of scrolls of corruption removal, while day 30 or 130 doesn't matter in the least.
    For rods dipping - go to CoC and just do it on SI level, it's the best place.
    Yeah, I know I can go to the CoC, but with the crumbling dungeon I don't have to trek through 9 floors. What I'm trying to verify is that the crumbling dungeon will spawn RoDs's okay. I mean, I don't know why it wouldn't, I thought monsters were based on danger level and it sure has really hard ones, even on floor 1.

Could the location really be the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    Yeah, I know I can go to the CoC, but with the crumbling dungeon I don't have to trek through 9 floors. What I'm trying to verify is that the crumbling dungeon will spawn RoDs's okay. I mean, I don't know why it wouldn't, I thought monsters were based on danger level and it sure has really hard ones, even on floor 1.

Could the location really be the problem?
    crumbling dungeon has random DL so will be hard to tell. You'll need to work out what kind of monsters and their DL to get a sense for that.

Q1 - dont know. but for descent, wear amulet/rings of luck.
    Q2 - wear items that max dv since bugs ignore pv. an assassin is far and away the best class to do the bug temple since he has access to alchemy....get immune to fire and wear blessed ring of ice and fry those pesky bugs with failed alchemical explosions. you will need aroung 30-40 herbs. also their radius varies and is random. also, dont 'w'alk instead move with arrow keys and close doors to rooms that dont come in your way
    Q3 - you MUST dip the rings in DL8 or higher, and ofc DL8 is the best because the probability for getting RoDS is the highest. the best place to scum is the big room raised to DL 8 by using necessary scrolls of danger, since it will start giving you RoDS as loot...