Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Monsters

I'd love to see lots of monsters in JADE. I think inspiration should be taken from Diablo, they are really dark and demonic like few. Can't think of alot of things that are not already in ADoM, though. Striders perhaps. More demons.
    If there isn't already, I'd like to see a basilisk. I'm not talking about the serpent-kind, I'm talking about the large, six-legged, multi-horned beasts as they appear in D&D. I really need to check more about how the land in JADE looks like (random, duh) in order to tell which monsters would fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    The gigantic master gelatenous mammoth cube.

It swallows you and transports you into a gigantic dungeon level all of it's own which represent the bowels of the monster. You have to work your way through it (you'll only find adamantium and titanium items here in these dungeons - the rest dissolves) dodging and slaying all manner of coloured jellies. You can only escape if you work your way to the heart of the beast and slay it.
    Heh, I like that. And you'd take constant acid damage whilst in there. Would be an extremely rare wilderness encounter perhaps.

Every fantasy world needs a lost valley /plateau /island with Dinosaurs, I'm pretty sure they take your liscense away if you don't include one.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Heh, I like that. And you'd take constant acid damage whilst in there. Would be an extremely rare wilderness encounter perhaps.
    Oh yeah... it could actually be a wandering dungeon on the overworld. You have to intentionally want to be swallowed by it because it's so terribly slow and easy to dodge.

Quote Originally Posted by Manu View Post
    Oh yeah... it could actually be a wandering dungeon on the overworld. You have to intentionally want to be swallowed by it because it's so terribly slow and easy to dodge.
    I'd rather having it wander randomly but invisibly to a player with bad woodscraft skills. When you'd encounter it it'd be like any wilderness encounter, except that if you fail to escape it you get swallowed. It has to be a threat!

You can only escape if you work your way to the heart of the beast and slay it.
    a big lump of jello probably wouldn't have heart or any organs at all! But I like the idea, reminds me of one episode of Dexter's Laboratory

Mindflayers: A great species from D&D that I'd love to see in JADE. Give em mindcrafting powers like mental shield and telekinetic blast. Give elder mindflayers access to teleport and greater telekinetic blast. They live in large underground communities that revolve around an elder brain. Quests involving them could be freeing humans from their twisted experiments, or destroying the elder brain itself.

If they're ever incorporated, you have to throw in brain bugs too. Little parasites that they use that burrow into the brains of other creatures and control them. So when you encounter them there would be gangs of controlled humans protecting them. This way they could also have agents in the outside world deceiving you.
    HELL NO. Leave the mind flayers where they belong: in NETHACK/SLASH'EM.
    Monsters like this might be appropriate for the scope of JADE but I recommend leaving them out all together.
    Consider that mind flayers are formidable opponents by their nature. How would that translate to in game monster? Very simply, the PC would more often than not die a very annoying and tedious death while getting their brains sucked out and even if they DID surivive they'd be the equivilant or dumber than a troll.
    *has flash backs to NETHACK regarding mindflayers -- much too hard to kill even for an experianced PC*
    Throw anything you want at the PC but NO mindflayers. It's been done before and with tragic results...

I see some deep trauma here (-: We all hate stat drainers, but that's not to say Mind Flayers cannot be done in a good manner. At the very worst, some amulets of mental resistance, rings of mental stability, and you're good to go.

"Consider that mind flayers are formidable opponents by their nature. How would that translate to in game monster?"
    So are dragons, so are titans, and so are ancient karmic wyrms. Yer overreacting.

The off-topic discussion of wish engines in another thread gave me an idea. What about NPC wish engines/archmages? They could be extremely rare, have ridiculously high attributes & skills and carry a lot of good items. And able to cast Wish. Really hard enemies... :)
    You hit Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, and severely wound him.
    The greater balor summons some help!
    The ratling duelist disarms you. You drop your blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12]. It flies to the west.
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, picks up the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].
    Andor Drakon, the ElDeR cHaOs GoD, wields the blessed Trident of the Red Rooster (+36, 6d12+18) [+12, +12].

Quote Originally Posted by Laukku View Post
    The off-topic discussion of wish engines in another thread gave me an idea. What about NPC wish engines/archmages? They could be extremely rare, have ridiculously high attributes & skills and carry a lot of good items. And able to cast Wish. Really hard enemies...
    All stats maxed out, best non-artifact equipment, lots of spells, pets. Oh right, wishes.
    Why let the wish if you can give the stuff directly? Its ok to cut cornes as long as the player doesnt watch...

Also, if they are that mighty, why do they waste their time on a stupid '@' ??
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/