Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Monsters

Default Monsters

Summary: post here the suggestions about the beings you would like to encounter in JADE.

Some hopefully helpful questions:
    1. Are there mythical creatures which did not get into ADOM but which you would like to see in JADE?
    2. Would you like to significantly change any creatures which were already in ADOM?
    3. Would you include creatures that you shouldn't kill for the character's own good similar to cats in ADOM?
    4. What about wholly new monster types like semidivine beings?

You might describe their
    • Qualities/abilities
    • Look/sound/smell
    • Behaviour/culture
    • Places of residence
    • Role in the game
    • (Place in) history

Personally:
    1. Yes, there could be more of them considering Drakalor Chain is just a small part of Ancardia. However I can't think of anything right now. I'll probably post some later.
    2. I wouldn't change much (except cats )
    3. No since it would just limit the gameplay and IMHO wouldn't fit in a game which already emphasizes freedom.
    4. Well, semidivine beings and maybe even incarnations of gods might be interesting. Can't think of anything else at the moment.

Note that you'll find (possibly dated) information about the basic being here.

I realize there are already threads with posts about races/monsters but it would be nice to have them in one general thread.
    Last edited by Nezur; 03-28-2008 at 07:48 PM.

I think monster prefix's and suffix's would be the easiest to code and offer the most variety with prefix's and suffix's modifying the base stat-line and/or inventory generation

prefix//monster//suffix

- // goblin // -
    deep // goblin // -
    - // goblin // warrior
    deep // goblin //warrior
    unholy // goblin // berzerker
    fiery // dwarf // miner

to boot you could put in minimum level requirements for certain prefix's // suffixes etc to ensure lvl 1. newbie does not encounter Massive Titan Warlock for instance... I think I recalled to in monsteraware states for inventory that you had like an animal-type and humanoid-type so it should be a simple if statement to keep things like ant merchant from generating...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    my 2 cents.

Mindflayers: A great species from D&D that I'd love to see in JADE. Give em mindcrafting powers like mental shield and telekinetic blast. Give elder mindflayers access to teleport and greater telekinetic blast. They live in large underground communities that revolve around an elder brain. Quests involving them could be freeing humans from their twisted experiments, or destroying the elder brain itself.

If they're ever incorporated, you have to throw in brain bugs too. Little parasites that they use that burrow into the brains of other creatures and control them. So when you encounter them there would be gangs of controlled humans protecting them. This way they could also have agents in the outside world deceiving you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid

Quote Originally Posted by Tannis View Post
    Mindflayers: A great species from D&D that I'd love to see in JADE. Give em mindcrafting powers like mental shield and telekinetic blast. Give elder mindflayers access to teleport and greater telekinetic blast. They live in large underground communities that revolve around an elder brain. Quests involving them could be freeing humans from their twisted experiments, or destroying the elder brain itself.

If they're ever incorporated, you have to throw in brain bugs too. Little parasites that they use that burrow into the brains of other creatures and control them. So when you encounter them there would be gangs of controlled humans protecting them. This way they could also have agents in the outside world deceiving you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illithid
    Mindflayers and brain bugs! Great ideas!

Hehe, I can imagine killing a normal looking goblin and then having to fight multiple brain bugs!

Though it might get a bit difficult if your character got controlled by one.

Quote Originally Posted by Nezur View Post
    Mindflayers and brain bugs! Great ideas!

Hehe, I can imagine killing a normal looking goblin and then having to fight multiple brain bugs!

Though it might get a bit difficult if your character got controlled by one.
    It would make items of mental stability much more important. Kind of like petrification resistance: with it, Gorgons are easy, but without it you're boned.

White, red, green, brown tentacles t t t t. Nothing special about them really, just another monster for flavour.

There are cerverus in Adom

http://www.magewarfare.com/downloads...s/Cerberus.jpg

if not.. i want them
    I never won a Adom game...

Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking View Post
    There are cerverus in Adom

http://www.magewarfare.com/downloads...s/Cerberus.jpg

if not.. i want them
    No, there isn't a monster called Cerberus in ADOM. In fact "Cerberus" is a proper noun, meaning "demon of the pit". Cerberus was a huge three (or 100 according to some) headed dog guarding the gates of Hades in Greek myth. Maybe a monster under the name "Pit daemon" or "Dog of the pit" would fit the game.

I vote for a zerg race. A really large zerg hive is placed here! Suddenly an ultralisk appears!:-)
    Last edited by yisk; 04-02-2008 at 04:14 PM.

on the subject of monsters 1 thing i always think is that 'truly excited' giant vaults should have greater titans in them as the guardians of the artifacts and stacks of cash found within.
    As for other types of monsters, how about; leapers, bugmen, ninja's, summoners, giant mantises, slaves and slavemasters together as 'sence a certain tensions' to name but a few.