Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ADOM R58/R59 is now available

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbse View Post
    Sadly I have the same problem with the "ascii only version on Windows XP". I tried to find such a dll (without malware) but I didn't manage to get it running though putting it in the same directory. (keine gültige Windowsdatei = no valid Windows file)

My last working ADOM stil is adom_windows_1.2.0_pre23.

Interesting point is : the adom.exe symbol has the "big letter A on blue/gold look" instead of the "big @ - Look", that's notorious?
    Edit:
    I could actually read what ppl have posted ...

If you don't have the file you're missing visual C, trying to find it for XP that MS does no longer support may be tricky.
    Other issues can be missing path to visual c.
    Should probably be something like C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\Common7\Tools\

Finally you may want to remove/move all old adom stuff in user catalog.

Link to package:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...s.aspx?id=5555
    Last edited by blunk; 07-25-2015 at 12:54 AM.

Try extracting the DLL in the attached archive to system32. It's from a Windows 2003 install where the ASCII version of R59 works normally.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "And light there be!"

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    This was very helpful! I could choose the German version

A BIG Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by Nobbse View Post
    This was very helpful! I could choose the German version

A BIG Thank You
    You're welcome, you may want to make sure to run windows update afterwards since the base package is pretty old.

Are you running windows 64bit?
    I do and I think I've had the same issue (however memory is abit hazy on the subject as my install is passing 5+ years).
    This probably is the issue since it lacks the 32bit visual C, however treat this as speculation until confirmed by someone...

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    Are you running windows 64bit?
    Nope, XP 32 Bit, German version on a Lenovo thinkpad

Guess I soon will put this risky thing to a rest and buy a new one

ps could maybe someone inform me about some gameplay (plot..monsters.. areas.. skills etc) changes (as opposite to interface changes which are visible *

?

If i would play i would play more for gameplay news not
    interface

* im not quite sure if i like them, very candy start menus
    quite opposite to old adom wchich was wery oldschool and
    toned (in general more dark) - but probably they are neutral
    maybe with some minor minuses and minor pluses

the most controversial are those moves (forth and back) when attack.. hard to say but i can say i dont see it as a clear
    advantage

also im not sure if this new interface corresponds with fabular starting of adom where you are not quided by interface what to do - it was always more based on arcane knowledge shared by discussions

One thing i clearly dislike is the cursor (such with 4 corners) that
    is on the screen and you can't throw it out the window if you play by keyboard -it looks ugly
    Last edited by fir; 07-26-2015 at 09:06 AM.

Now I'm playing R59 and must say I love the look..I like especially that you can see stuffs equipped, until now I didn't go past cat lord (kill me again) but no problems except that in one occasion (just one) while clicking with the mouse on the PC the game crashed with a warning window, sorry didn't took screenshot maybe next time...it's good that now autosave, so I've lost very few turns...I've lost a lot of games in P23 that erased the files when the game crash...
    I saw a lot of new dungeons called R: (one had a vault every floor, really?) and messages that ideally should leads you to CoC (I think) as new features.
    This game is going better and better

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I saw a lot of new dungeons called R: (one had a vault every floor, really?)
    I've noticed my random dungeons spawned a lot of features, which gave me quite a lot of herbs, to the point where I stopped gathering them entirely. Maybe at least some of them have naturally higher chance to have special features?
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

The difference I noticed with the newest version, is that movement is much faster compared to previous versions. If you hold down the arrow key you ZOOM across the screen. If you hold down the Search key for a second 30 turns can go by, you can detect a hidden passage and get attacked a dozen times before you realize what is happening and let go. I'm trying to retrain myself to tap the buttons rather than hold them down.

I'm confused about version numbers. (I'm using the ASCII version, by the way.) When I go to the download page, and click on the link in the line "Updated: 20 July 2015. The changelog is available here.", the changelog shows the latest version to be "Release 59 (1.15.1)". However, the old installer on my PC is labelled (as it was when I downloaded it from the official download page) "adom_windows_1.2.0_pre23". Why does the newer version have an earlier version number than the previous version? Right now, it looks like it went from 1.2.0 Prerelease 23," to "1.15.1 Release 59". How very confusing.