Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Choosing good name for a PC

Grab a random book. Flip to a random page. Roll with the first name you come across.
    If it's 'Caesar', quit immediately.

I usually name my characters "G" "S" "F" or whatever else I press. Then rename them to first kill for the barbarian quest. Then rename them to monster+number of kills needed, e.g. Kobold47. After the quest I rename them to something silly, like Adolf Hitler or something.
    Last edited by kapsi; 08-24-2015 at 09:34 PM.

Always name mine "Lia" "Lai" "Laia" "Laki" or "Lake"

I don't know why but those are the only names I can think of.....

One more point in the debate: I have recently begun a trend to give my characters names of their counterparts in other games or books, if the classes happen to converge.
    So, Karliah was the thief I closed the gate with yesterday, named after a thief character in the Skyrim game.
    An archmage wizard in one of my past games was named Moiraine, after a sorceress from Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time.
    A C- dark elven mindcrafter of a few months past similarly got a name from Jordan's book - Mesaana - an evil character that messed with people's heads using her own variety of magic.
    Finally a GE monk that has found a whip of penetration in very early game and kept using it till Fistanarius dropped dead. Named after a Star Wars character Lumiya, who herself used a light-whip against her enemies.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Wheel of Time? I wanted to read it all but gave up. Poor implementation of a very good idea, so wordy for no reason. Such a disappointment. Really, I still want to know what happened next, but ... Every line strikes my brains, telling "stop reading this shit, now!"

I actually think Wheel of Time is the best, most epic and grandest of all fantasy series to read.
    It's been long months since I finished the last book and the events play out in my head quite often and I miss the characters and the world all the time.
    It's just a matter of preference I guess, I love lengthy descriptions and lots of words.
    Tolkien was pretty epic but it was more juvenile and black & white. Wheel of Time may not have the naturalism of Song of Ice and Fire but it certainly has all the grandeur that epic sagas should have and a near flawless magic system that Martin dearly lacks.
    Absolutely love it.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 09-01-2015 at 04:46 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Since we started to talk about it, I praise The Kingkiller Chronicle a lot. Very intelligent writing and it's interesting to guess the whole story if you understand what I mean.

Decided! I'll need to play as Kvothe the human bard. We have some necessary ingredients available: lutes, the wise man, the doors, occasional storytellers, University (only library from there), love story (banshee and yes her voice is incredible), thievery, quests, personal improvement etc. Maybe I'll need to roll some specific skills to fit the character, though cannot say just yet what that skills would be.

I completed Wheel of Time several years ago to remind myself why i hated it when i first tried it. 10+ books saga about myriad of arrogant a-holes with ego size of the moon. And several decent characters.
    Didn't like Kingkiller Chronicles, wasn't my cup of tea.
    While on topic of fantasy literature i'll say that Raven's Shadow series is excellent.

But anyway i name characters with whatever my mind generates as fitting name. Or just go with my nickname.