Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chaos Knight Guide

Without converting your sources of corruption removal are:
    1 scroll in HMV
    3 scrolls in Bug temple
    2-4 potions of cure corruption in the Maze
    6 scrolls if you decide to save the sage.
    No idea if Mad Ministrel will accept the tome and give you reward, afaik he won't.
    Wishing from poolsipping and other sources.
    Without acid blood and with AotME aim to have 5+ SoCRs for final fight. That should be doable even for chaotic CKs, barring very unlucky cases.

For demented ratling: RotHK is quite an average artifact. Phial is quite easy to get. Crown of science is mostly worthless for CKs. Assassin prince carries Sting (You can't get Needle anyway). Minotaur Emperor aside from AotME drops random artifact.
    Better hold on to AMW just in case, because it gives -Death and -See invis, and both are vital for andy. Ankh is cool artifact, but you'll need -Para and out of common items only ammy of free action gives it, so most likely no slot for ankh.

Since you gonna be C- all the game, the only need to rush when feeding ratling comes from possibility of getting mana battery corruption since that prevents you from fullfilling last old crone quest. I would rely on luck to not have that one corruption for some time and postpone ratling quest till after you get fire orb.

I wish I had known about the acid blood + elder chaos god interaction before I started my ME CK ultra run... It was very sad. The boss has such high speed that getting into melee range effectively meant he'd teleport *immediately* and I just ran out of ways of tracking him down.

Hurtlings are indeed awesome as CK. Started with decaying tissue corruption, and because game insists on being unburdened at the start of the game, this resulted in strength 21. UD:2 had corruption removal statue... .

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    OK, another question. Assuming you're aiming for OCG and you haven't found a C altar yet, what artifacts can you give to the ratling? AMW from pyramid, both raw steel artifacts from Kherab and Moon Sickle, that's four. Phial maybe, though I always have huge problems retrieving it and barely ever try, that's five. What would be sixth? I really like ankh in general, Ring of the High Kings is useful for resistances since elemental gauntlets aren't available, black torc and sword of Nonnak aren't available either and at this point point I'm running out of ideas. Si isn't an option, right? What else then?

And where do you get corruption removal? Druid, Ice Queen and dwarven mystic ignore you, weird tome delivery won't work either I guess. Minotaur emperor doesn't give that much IIRC. Can you at least save Khelavaster? Or do you equip fire resistance, temporarily convert to N and milk NPCs for means of corruption removal?

I randomly rolled a chaos knight and decided to keep him this time. I never really play chaotic characters though so I'm quite lost.
    ancient minotaur often drops 1 other artifact, and like others said you don't have to do the quest right away.

Phial is not hard to get... only go in once you have tp control + 2x form of tp + wand of item detection. Find phial, tp on top of phial, tp out, done. Or you can do it the hard way - have high speed and disarm traps so you can eventually brute force your way through to a trap and disarm it to stop generation from that point on. Boring but easily doable since gremlins will rarely be able to damage you in melee, just make sure you actually have enough speed you can occasionally make progress forward.

You're severely overrating the ankh's intrinsic +luck bonus. Honestly I'd rather have faster healing from rapid healing or farther vision from eye much of the time. It has ok guaranteed defensive stats but won't matter late game. If anything I would value the AMW more, the defensive stats suck but by late game you can easily make that up in other equipment slots, and it has great intrinsics. But still quite sacrificable.

You're also forgetting about the crown of science from darkforge. You don't really have any reason to keep it around unless you're a wizard, in which case you saev up all the books you acquire during a particular run and then read them all in a corruption safe place with the crown on. You also probably have remove curse as a wizard so the autocursing is no problem. Otherwise I can't see where the learning is useful enough to make up for the doomed aspect to make it worth keeping around.

There's also another option artifact-saccing-wise. With the thin and nimble and very light corruptions (or only very light and hurthling) you can get boots of great speed from quickling tree.

I must confess, I'm still adapting to CK's and all of its brutality in all areas. Sometimes it feels like the class is just too much y know? Too much stats, too much PV, too much limitations. It certainly is the most extreme class in ADOM. And those crowning gifts OMG... all very, very extreme. So long, playing evil paladins! There's something far more wicked around!
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

There is no hurry with the demented ratling. You can wait until you found some artifacts in greater vaults.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    There's also another option artifact-saccing-wise. With the thin and nimble and very light corruptions (or only very light and hurthling) you can get boots of great speed from quickling tree.

I must confess, I'm still adapting to CK's and all of its brutality in all areas. Sometimes it feels like the class is just too much y know? Too much stats, too much PV, too much limitations. It certainly is the most extreme class in ADOM. And those crowning gifts OMG... all very, very extreme. So long, playing evil paladins! There's something far more wicked around!
    so much more background corruption though... i'd like to be careful with that as a CK, seems less worth then just scumming every possible dungeon for greater vaults or surges of power

yeah, cks are really interesting. play waay differently from every class, very fun

Quickling tree can be relatively quick with tp and/or digging (i think its diggable). But anyway... There are plenty of artifacts to sacrifice in most playthroughs.
    Wins:

Lvl 50 Dark Elf Mindcrafter.
    Lvl 50 High Elf Assassin (Dual weilding).
    Lvl 50 Dark Elf Paladin.
    Lvl 50 Gnomish Assassin (Failed ultra turned normal gate closer)
    Lvl 50 Hurthling Thief (ULE).

Does anyone else get serious gear destruction when playing Chaos Knights? I'm starting to think its programmed that way or something. I might just be having a bad run, but pretty much every Chaos Knight I give a real try to, (Like 10 guys now) has lost a LOT of gear real early, before they even make it to Dwarf Town.

Usually before I even kill the Healer I've experienced some major gear loss like my weapon or plate mail getting wrecked. And I lose gear to lots of stuff too, like a door falls on me and my boots, armor, and helmet get wrecked.

So I'm wondering, have I just had really really bad luck, or is this like a secret challenging part to Chaos Knights? Cause I love trying them, but when they lose their awesome starting stuff they are a lot less good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    Does anyone else get serious gear destruction when playing Chaos Knights? .... lost a LOT of gear real early, before they even make it to Dwarf Town.
    I have played a grand total of 1 Chaos Knight, but my weapon was destroyed by an exploding rune on VD 2 or VD3. So I can't answer your question (with a sample of one), but I was also curious whether there's any difference/challenge here.