Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: You're playing the wrong race

Quote Originally Posted by Carter View Post
    getting 18 is easy.
    How exactly is it easy?

Secondly while thieves get dagger of penetration, assassins get poisonous one. Which doesn't really help when you can't pierce PV because your damage is too low.

The problem with aging is not the D:50 ghosts or a GUV, because you are prepared for these guys, but the necessary paranoia over the course of the game. When I'm playing an elven character and engage a whole crapload of monsters on a cavernous level or in a mixed tension room, I mash my arrow key without a second though. There's a single trigger in my brain that halts all process on a dark-green F, but that's about it.

When I'm playing an orc/ratling/human, I have to stop the fast pace of the game every single time anything ghost-like appears on screen, especially in the early game. Then I have to use missiles, wands, kiting and other stuff like that. I worry enough about end-game bosses, elemental resistances. When there is a race that allows me not to worry at all about an additional factor, I'll play it any day of the week.

I would honestly play other races if the aging was designed better. The amount of years added is directly tied to the damage taken, which is completely out of touch with the actual maximum ages. And potions of longevity/youth are not only extremely rare, they work like shit.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

_Ln_ as usually summarizes the most important things about ghosts, aging and long/short lived races with apt remarks.
    I agree with everything; the benefit of not having to worry about age AT ALL is a great thing and considerably reduces the typical adom paranoia during playing.

For the past ~30 gate closers I have played, all of them were elves.
    Some time ago I just ceased to play other races and got so used to playing elves with all their advantages and disadvantages, that when I actually give another race a chance, I feel awkward and uncomfortable.
    Like wearing somebody else's shoes or eating food that I accidentally dropped to the floor and picked up
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Weirdly though, I never discovered potions of longevity and youth while playing as an elf. When I started using trolls, they were a fairly rare drop, but they were there compared to not being there at all during the times I played elves, plus they were craftable via alchemy.

Quote Originally Posted by psy_wombats View Post
    Hahaha, hurthlings as a #1 pick for assassin? Thief? Have you played any hurthlings recently?

A strength cap of like 10 makes hurthlings unplayable in melee.
    If you played hurthlings as a melee char, you did it wrong. Hurthlings are known for their talents in rock throwing.
    Last edited by sweetnothing; 08-27-2015 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    For the past ~30 gate closers I have played, all of them were elves.
    Sorry for derailing the thread, but I'm really curious - how do you not get bored with the game? I have 6 gate closers and anything after early game is really boring, as if the fun ends right after going through Dwarven Halls for the first time (the forest is no fun) and the rest is just a grind until the end. And there you are, giving out a number 5 times higher and strongly hinting that's not even close to all of your gate closers, not to mention other endings.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Wait a sec... so the requirements for the kill Filk quest was to do the quest for the ancient karmic wyrm and be level 45? I got curious/tired, so I went down to speak to the assassin prince to see if he'll say anything different, but he gave me the quest at level 43. Whaaaaat? Like I was about the drink tons from the Darkforge pools in hopes of summoning more greater molochs to level up, and as it turns out I was already qualified for the mission. Oh, the pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    Sorry for derailing the thread, but I'm really curious - how do you not get bored with the game? I have 6 gate closers and anything after early game is really boring, as if the fun ends right after going through Dwarven Halls for the first time (the forest is no fun) and the rest is just a grind until the end. And there you are, giving out a number 5 times higher and strongly hinting that's not even close to all of your gate closers, not to mention other endings.
    I don't really know how I don't get bored. That number, 30 chars, that's just this year.
    Something about continuous replayability, like heroes of might and magic 3 or civilization 2.
    I can just keep playing those games over and over again, I guess it's a matter of specific brain patterns - some people like blue color, others prefer green.
    Some people love spicy food, others not so much.
    I love playing adom even past the point of knowing virtually everything about it and somehow still enjoying the minor variations between characters and predictable outcome of actions.
    It's more or less impossible to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by Azrad View Post
    Wait a sec... so the requirements for the kill Filk quest was to do the quest for the ancient karmic wyrm and be level 45? I got curious/tired, so I went down to speak to the assassin prince to see if he'll say anything different, but he gave me the quest at level 43. Whaaaaat? Like I was about the drink tons from the Darkforge pools in hopes of summoning more greater molochs to level up, and as it turns out I was already qualified for the mission. Oh, the pain.
    Were you perhaps an assassin? They can get the quest at level 30.
    Last edited by Blasphemous; 08-27-2015 at 04:56 PM.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Yup. Man, wish I knew that earlier. I spent a long while hanging around the fourth floor of the blue dragon caves so my troll can get to level 40.

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemous View Post
    heroes of might and magic 3
    Wait, you too?

Did you get the Horn of the Abyss mod? It is awesome, it feels like an official sequel. Includes a new town (Cove, pirate theme) that is very interesting to play.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.