Thread: Does your character's background affect their stats?

Default Does your character's background affect their stats?

I tried looking this up on the internet but couldn't find anything. It's about the backstory of a character.

When I make a guy and get "Was tortured by his parents" or "Pondered for many years" or whatever else, do those things affect my character in any way? I always assumed they do but nobody ever mentions them.

So I'm curious, is it known what they do?

Also, sometimes special messages like "Two headed calf was born the knight you were," or "Undead were seen leaving" used to show up. I don't know what they did, but I haven't seen any yet in version 59. Do they still happen?

I'm not sure about the latter messages you've mentioned as I've also not seen those as of late but at the risk of spoiling things a bit for you, let's just say that yes, some messages definitely do affect some conditions of the game.

You can find (somewhat limited) information regarding that ingame as well

I know my answer is as vague as "vague" can possibly be lol, but I guess you'd rather not have the game spoiled for you. So in short, yes, some of these messages have an impact in the game.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    I tried looking this up on the internet but couldn't find anything. It's about the backstory of a character.

When I make a guy and get "Was tortured by his parents" or "Pondered for many years" or whatever else, do those things affect my character in any way? I always assumed they do but nobody ever mentions them.

So I'm curious, is it known what they do?
    They definitely affect stats. The extend of which, I'm not sure. Being tortured by your parents or being very sick I think, I seem to remember, is something like -1d3 to all stats, each. But I can't recall precisely where that information came from, so it might be wrong

Also, sometimes special messages like "Two headed calf was born the knight you were," or "Undead were seen leaving" used to show up. I don't know what they did, but I haven't seen any yet in version 59. Do they still happen?
    I've definitely seen them in r60.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Thanks guys! Also, I guess I'd better get version 60!

...after I finish the guy I'm working on.

Your character's biography indeed has an effect on his starting stats (and I believe one of the messages gives a gold boost, too). asdf posted the specifics on a thread here some time ago.
    "And light there be!"