Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone taught themselves to play without the numpad?

Default Anyone taught themselves to play without the numpad?

Using the number keys to move. It's generally quite faster having your fingers constantly in touch-typing position, and you do get used to it, though some things feel a bit more awkward. Took me about three separate days of playing before I adapted (incidentally the reason I tried it is because my wireless numpad has stopped working).

Yes I do this all the time. But as a kinda geeky thing to do, it's hard to get followers

Apart from unfortunate cases of limited laptop keyboards, why would you want to not use the numpad? I'm curious.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    Apart from unfortunate cases of limited laptop keyboards, why would you want to not use the numpad? I'm curious.
    "Unfortunate" is a strong word IMHO.
    Although I have no practical experience (tried to play with numpad once and failed), I would assume the probability of mistyping is lower with the number row. It's still there (a week (?) ago I accidentally punched a staircase instead of a pile of garbage on an altar and instantly killed my PC), but at least you won't mistake vertical directions.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Only when on laptop, it works but I make misstakes when playing this way.

I've gotten pretty good at it, strangely enough.
    But I also mastered the VI style nethack movement too, so there is that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter Fox View Post
    My numpad is a seperate keyboard, and as I said, it died.

As to whether I'd go back if I did have the numpad, I'm not sure. I don't have to move my arm/wrist at all and that's a plus. I did have a mis-step where I lost a char to a chaotic altar (literally seconds after mentally warning myself to be super careful on the keys-- I still can't fathom how I slipped up) but that was while I was still in the learning stage, I think. Just having a keyboard on your lap allows you to play on the couch or in bed easier I think.

Not only do I do this, (I only own a laptop) but for the first couple of years during which I occasionally played ADOM, I didn't realize the number keys moved your character at all; I just used the arrow keys. It was annoying to me that monsters could move diagonally while I apparently could not. The day I discovered the "w" commands was a glorious day.

(And then one day I actually read the keybindings and learned all kinds of things)

Nowadays, I still use the arrow keys (with "w"), and occasionally jump the appropriate hand up to the numbers row to move diagonally.

I've never given it much thought until now, but I guess that's pretty unusual...?

I sometimes do that when I play "on the road". Doesn't happen very often, but at least I won one whole run without using a numpad a while ago.
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

I'm an avid enthusiast of desktops and full keyboards so it's been numpad for me since forever.
    Occasionally I play on a laptop and then I'm forced to use the regular numbers.
    It's doable but not comfortable.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."