Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone taught themselves to play without the numpad?

I tried this for the first time on my last win. I found it very difficult and it made my hand ache for a few days :-|

I play this way exclusively. I've had to use the numpad for a few other RLs and I'm always soo sloow.

The hardest part for me is the opposite direction rooms. Everything else is natural now.

Numpad give no problems, but I had a char. once "killed by touchpad", touched by mistake...always disable the touchpad on laptop when play this game...anyway laptops are ADOM's enemies (like it was NetHack enemy, I remember very well).

I used to play on a laptop where I mapped the direction keys to also do diagonal movement when used together with ALT (or shift, cant remember). It was okay. Nowadays I just plug in an external usb keypad. Never considered using the regular number keys, but I suppose that could work.

In a way, yes, and I suppose it is doable.

In the past I've mapped a JoyToKey profile to play NetHack, so I just kinda converted it to ADOM (with a few different keys here and there), thus effectively playing the game on a joystick.

This makes me use only the diagonal numbers of the numpad, for otherwise the trigger detects unintended keystrokes.

The point is that, well... I play it on a joystick (and yeah, it's just fine, provided one takes the time to understand the "logic" of having the entire alphabet mapped in a joystick and whatnot), so I take it that with a bit of practice and effort one might be able to get used to playing without the numpad.
    Last edited by PintinhoDeMel; 09-11-2015 at 07:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PintinhoDeMel View Post
    In a way, yes, and I suppose it is doable.

In the past I've mapped a JoyToKey profile to play NetHack, so I just kinda converted it to ADOM (with a few different keys here and there), thus effectively playing the game on a joystick.

This makes me use only the diagonal numbers of the numpad, for otherwise the trigger detects unintended keystrokes.

The point is that, well... I play it on a joystick (and yeah, it's just fine, provided one takes the time to understand the "logic" of having the entire alphabet mapped in a joystick and whatnot), so I take it that with a bit of practice and effort one might be able to get used to playing without the numpad.
    Speaking of which, I'm curious if the game could work with a gamepad. Maybe even the steam controller. I think it would require specialized code in the game for it though, with contextual menus and button combinations. Not sure an app like joy2key would be sophisticated enough.

Why did you want to play it on a joystick?

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm curious if the game could work with a gamepad. Maybe even the steam controller. I think it would require specialized code in the game for it though, with contextual menus and button combinations. Not sure an app like joy2key would be sophisticated enough.

Why did you want to play it on a joystick?
    For quite some time now I've been relying solely on laptops, so I'm all the time crafting different JoyToKey pofiles for different games - for convenience (playing with the laptop on top of me, not having my hands directly bound to it, HDMI, etc.).

And I'd say JoyToKey is not "sophisticated enough", but it is definitely "sophisticated" to a certain extent, thus making it "enough", if you get what I'm saying. It is quite flexible a software. Currently I have the entire alphabet, digits 0 - 9, a few special keys and a (somewhat clunky, for it only moves in angles) mouse all mapped to one joystick.

But I concur with what you said - contextual menus and button combinations (the latter being something I'm familiar with, otherwise you can't map all that to a single joystick) would be of massive help.

Lastly, I'm aware that Elona works with a controller more or less this way, but then again it has way less commands than ADOM does.

I've only ever played with a normal keyboard. My laptop hasn't ever had a numpad, but I wish it did. Sometimes my fingers get cramped using the number row.