Thread: New Youtube Let's Play, with a graphical mod based on My Little Pony

Red face New Youtube Let's Play, with a graphical mod based on My Little Pony

What class and race combo would each of the main 6 characters of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic be in ADOM? This question led me to alter the graphics of ADOM months ago to make High Elf Wizards look like Twilight Sparkle. Unicorns (especially the ones from Canterlot) are noble, high races, certainly inclined to magic. Wizards focus on magic, and are focus on learning from books. Thus my Twilight Sparkle mod for ADOM was born. It does nothing but change the graphics of the PC, but then I don't think I would want to change the mechanics of the game anyway.

Here's a teaser for the mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6QAJFrYZsU

When complete, the mod will have the main cast of all six ponies, but in the meantime I have begun a playthrough or Let's Play of my modded ADOM on YouTube. Each episode is intended to be 30-40 minutes (the first episode being an exception) and will continue until I beat the game (normal ending) with all six characters. It is my goal to have new episodes out weekly. There are 3 episodes made so far.

I would love love love feedback on the videos. The first in the series is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQr7ZbmiUrY, but you can start wherever and it should make sense. Here's a link to the playlist.

I lol'd.

The ADOM commentary is decent enough, the only difference seems to be the character tile I guess. Don't take my word for it, but there might be issues with "modding" you did and Thomas reaction, although replacing tiles seems pretty harmless.

I've only skimmed through the first video (not much time right now), there are parts where the screen goes blank (but the game goes on). Check out around 27:00 (it stays that way till 29:30 or so). You might want to fix it.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.

Quote Originally Posted by _Ln_ View Post
    I've only skimmed through the first video (not much time right now), there are parts where the screen goes blank (but the game goes on). Check out around 27:00 (it stays that way till 29:30 or so). You might want to fix it.
    Gasp! Thank you for noticing that. I wonder if I clicked out of the game window and Fraps got confused...

Don't take my word for it, but there might be issues with "modding" you did and Thomas reaction, although replacing tiles seems pretty harmless.
    Modding might be the wrong term, or perhaps too strong a word. I would expect to not get The Creator's blessing, but yeah, the total lack of any "hacking", reverse-engineering, peeking at the code or memory, etc. makes me feel it's harmless.

I think it's cool what you have done, but I don't really like watching videos of people play video games so I will probably not watch it. I hope you do well though! If you feel like it you could write up the highlights (sp?) and let us know. I would like that a lot. Have you decided then what classes you will use? I might watch some of the videos. Especially depending on the classes cause sometimes I just get so confused talking to people here about how they do things. I think either they or I am weird because sometimes things don't make any sense. So it will be nice to get another perspective on things.

Quote Originally Posted by Lasher View Post
    I think it's cool what you have done, but I don't really like watching videos of people play video games so I will probably not watch it.
    I know, right? I only really watch a couple "Let's Plays", specifically Dota 2 stuff and the Minecraft "Far Lands or Bust" series.

If you feel like it you could write up the highlights (sp?) and let us know. I would like that a lot.
    I might just start doing that, thanks.

Have you decided then what classes you will use?
    For the main six characters from the show, I haven't decided all of them. I know unicorns should be the higher, magically inclined races (Elves). Earth ponies should be the more earthen races (Dwarves and Gnomes, and maybe human), but I'm not positive about Pegasi. The combos I'm sure about are pretty much Twilight Sparkle (High Elf Wizard) and Pinkie Pie (Gnomish Bard). I'm inclined to have Applejack be a Hurthling Ranger, because thrown weapons from years of applebucking. Though farmer might be more appropriate. Fluttershy is a shoo-in for Druid. Rainbow Dash as a Beastfighter might not go amiss. Rarity being a Gray Elf thief might be fitting. Or Gray elf Weaponsmith (because making armor). I kinda concluded that Canterlot unicorns would be High Elf and other unicorns could be the other elves, but I'm not entirely sold on that yet.

Very nice series so far! Good job :-)
    My band: http://messerschmitt-speed.com
    ... for those old school Heavy Metal maniacs among you
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My youtube-profile: http://www.youtube.com/GordonOverkillManiac
    ... with lots of ADOM videos, including several complete successful play-throughs and tutorials for beginners

The ADOM commentary is decent enough, the only difference seems to be the character tile I guess. Don't take my word for it, but there might be issues with "modding" you did and Thomas reaction, although replacing tiles seems pretty harmless.
    I've heard this argument before. I have no idea if it has any basis in reality, but if TB reacted to this kind of free publicity with resentment, it would mean that he was painfully oblivious to the obvious complement that was being paid to him here.

People love his game so much they are making My Little Pony tile sets for it. Ideas, and games, are parodied because they are extremely popular and familiar. They have to be, otherwise what would be the point? People would not recognize the basis of the parody and it wouldn't be funny.

And TB should be grateful that his game is reaching the levels of circulation that are required for this sort of thing. I suspect he already knows this and is.

One more thing.

I know that we all want to possess that which we create. But the reason that creators are afraid to let others tinker with their creations isn't because they are afraid those creations will be diminished, it is because deep down, they are afraid that someone else will have vision that exceeds their own, and do things with those creations that even the creator themselves could not do.

Quote Originally Posted by gr3ybird View Post
    I've heard this argument before. I have no idea if it has any basis in reality, but if TB reacted to this kind of free publicity with resentment, it would mean that he was painfully oblivious to the obvious complement that was being paid to him here.

People love his game so much they are making My Little Pony tile sets for it. Ideas, and games, are parodied because they are extremely popular and familiar. They have to be, otherwise what would be the point? People would not recognize the basis of the parody and it wouldn't be funny.

And TB should be grateful that his game is reaching the levels of circulation that are required for this sort of thing. I suspect he already knows this and is.

One more thing.

I know that we all want to possess that which we create. But the reason that creators are afraid to let others tinker with their creations isn't because they are afraid those creations will be diminished, it is because deep down, they are afraid that someone else will have vision that exceeds their own, and do things with those creations that even the creator themselves could not do.
    Like I said, I'm speaking from paranoidal position here. Custom tiles is probably one of the most popular modification of roguelikes, especially harmless when you don't replace it with generic fantasy pics, but with something with a specific theme. However, something must have clicked in my mind to bring attention to a possible (although highly unlikely) problem. Call it overly strong community defense complex or something like that.
    I like my women like my ADOM loot - hunted as treasure and in extra quantity.