Thread: Death by tension room in D:50

Default Death by tension room in D:50

My absolutely gorgeous missile-based High Elven assassin had finally reached D:50 only to find a tension room behind the entrance. I forgot she had the freezing blood corruption and even though I took a shortcut through the ice, she probably was somewhat slowed down from the start. Well, first thing through the door was a primal mass of writhing chaos, which immediately critically hit my character, slowing her down even further. It took one more turn to finish her off. She would have absolutely wrecked everything in D:50, but, alas, it was not to be...

This was my first run where I built the character to take full advantage of the Rune-covered trident. It's an excellent thrown weapon with the strong thrower talent, as it both slays nasties and trains dexterity. It also supplements other missile attacks with the exquisite dexterity boost and provides see invisible, a very useful combination against the chaos archmage. Missile classes are usually too repetitive for me, since you have to be careful with targetting and constantly recollect missiles. The trident eliminates this problem.

The only other problem I had with the trident was when I tossed it at a doppleganger king, who was happy to snatch it up and get a nice little boost to... well, everything.

Anyway, here's a screenshot:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Screenshot

..C.O.+
    .CoC@Cu#
    ..Y@HKu#
    #jDH#
    #GxD#
    #####@##
    #.....#
    #.<...#
    #.....#
    #######

Lavialar St:27 Le:39 Wi:22 Dx:38 To:19 Ch: 5 Ap: 4 Ma:18 Pe:17 N=
    DV/PV: 68/47 H: -54(298) P: 18(137) Exp: 32/5382317 D: 50 Sp: 29
    Blessed Slowed Burdened Berserk

Oof.

You likely should have been burdened and berserk. Also, 300 hp is not a whole lot. Check out some of the YAVPs to see typical numbers.

That's brutal, goodness. That's a really interesting build, no one capitalizes on the trident, really!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Lifespan that allows not you cower in fear and equip 'ring of hide me', 'wand of get away from me' and 'arrows of please don't hit me'.
    - AlterAsc talks about the problem with Trolls.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Worst case scenario, grab the shield of raw steel and laugh your way through the tower.
    - JellySlayer carrying one of my characters.

Well, not being burdened wouldn't have made much difference with the freezing blood slowing effect. And, of course I shouldn't have been burdened or berserk, otherwise this might be a YAVP . I didn't expect there to be a tension room behind the door, nor was I aware that my speed was super low. Otherwise I would've prepared the character for the final battle. I was actually wielding a short bow with mithril arrows at the time...

These are the kinds of (stupid) decisions which take less than a second to make. And it would only take a second to check everything is OK. But, as we all know, YASDs make considerably more entertaining stories :P

I had just received bulging cranium on top of the freezing blood thing, which accounts for my low toughness and hitpoints. Sadly, I had little corruption removal left, since the RNG had managed to award me with the unholy aura twice, the mana battery twice, you hate the sun once, etc, etc... Otherwise I was pretty happy with my luck this time around, I found the Bracers of War in the puppy cave of all places

Funny thing, I also ran into a tension room full of ghost kings before D:50 but managed to skirmish them pretty effectively using the trident, only receiving maybe two aging attacks.

How did you end up with 19 To ? =O

Corruption + no minotaur maze + high elf with low starting To potential? I've had a wizard with 17 To and no To reducing corruptions in D:50, so it's not impossible.
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

Yeah, high elf with a very low toughness potential. I found maybe one toughness potion in the entire game and none for the toughness potential... Didn't even lose any points to toughness drain (demon and undead slaying returning missile, duh).

I find the maze tedious so I usually skip it. No wishes this game either. It wasn't a game-breaking problem anyway, this being a ranged character (the best melee weapon I came across was the scorched spear).

I don't usually farm herbs anymore either (I find it tedious), even though I did gain a couple of points of willpower and toughness from incidental herbs I picked along the way. Not that farming would've helped much, since her toughness potential was so low.

Also, she reached level 32 maybe one level before D:50, so doing the black unicorn quest wasn't an option either. I also skipped the chaos diplomat quest, which would have earned two more points of toughness. Stupid, I know