Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Munxip sell cooking sets?

Quote Originally Posted by blunk View Post
    I think of cooking as one of these skills where I need to try and make use of it when the opportunity is at hand.
    Cooking shines in the mid and late game where you want to save all the stat corpses.
    Sure if you can cook everything with fire you don't need cooking. Compared to a lot of other skills cooking also succeed a lot even below 50, I did note wraiths seemed more difficult to cook.
    "Cooking shines in the mid and late game where you want to save all the stat corpses. "

That is not really true. Cooking is far more useful in the early game.

It allows you to turn cursed corpses in to un-cursed ones, without wasting holy water or a scroll.
    You can preserve both Keethrax and the Oracle corpse.
    You can preserve displacer beast corpse for an early, yet crude TP.
    You can turn corpses of monsters generated by breeders into something that can be sacrificed.
    Hurtlings can use it to get an easy pre-crown, since cooked food is a favored sacrifice for them.
    It reduces the weight of carry corpses. Not much individually, but it adds up.

But what I mainly use it for, is so that when I find an altar, I can unload my cooked corpses and stay at a piety level that let's me regularly pray to remove cursed items, or for healing.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 09-25-2015 at 07:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    "Cooking shines in the mid and late game where you want to save all the stat corpses. "

That is not really true. Cooking is far more useful in the early game.

It allows you to turn cursed corpses in to un-cursed ones, without wasting holy water or a scroll.
    You can preserve both Keethrax and the Oracle corpse.
    You can preserve displacer beast corpse for an early, yet crude TP.
    You can turn corpses of monsters generated by breeders into something that can be sacrificed.
    Hurtlings can use it to get an easy pre-crown, since cooked food is a favored sacrifice for them.
    It reduces the weight of carry corpses. Not much individually, but it adds up.

But what I mainly use it for, is so that when I find an altar, I can unload my cooked corpses and stay at a piety level that let's me regularly pray to remove cursed items, or for healing.
    Yeah, I don't really find cooking much use later in the game. Cooking corpses is too turn-intensive to be used safely in lategame areas, and if you really need to preserve stuff, you can just burn it.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Just add Cooking to the list of dubiously useful skills, like Survival, Appraising, Haggling, Law, Metallurgy, Woodcraft, and Bridge Building. Probably Pick Locks too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius View Post
    Just add Cooking to the list of dubiously useful skills, like Survival, Appraising, Haggling, Law, Metallurgy, Woodcraft, and Bridge Building. Probably Pick Locks too.
    Cooking is very useful in the early game. It just can't be used if you don't have a cooking set. So the problem is not cooking. The problem is the cooking set.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah View Post
    Cooking is very useful in the early game. It just can't be used if you don't have a cooking set. So the problem is not cooking. The problem is the cooking set.
    Yeah I sort of like it, it's not powerful but useful.
    I even managed to get use out of haggle but thats early game elven merchant with high ap.

I like this. Cooking sets are really rare right now, which I guess is because not many people get the cooking skill. But really, cooking sets should be more common than swords (Not really in the game, that'd be dumb, but in real life.)

I would love a General Goods store or a Trader's Outpost with things like Cooking Sets, Torches, Flint and Tinder, Blankets, maybe some random potions, and other odds and ends.

I don't remember if I ever played the tutorial so I apologize if it already covers this, but maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea for a guaranteed store of such a nature to appear on the 3rd floor of the starter dungeon, and, if in the tutorial, maybe a message explaining how to buy/sell items and a hint about racial relations.