Thread: Any way to recognize herb patch state in ASCII mode?

Default Any way to recognize herb patch state in ASCII mode?

The tile mode with all its neat graphics has spoiled me. I tried playing ASCII mode a few days ago and suddenly everything seems harder to do. Can't recognize items from zapping wand of item detection (especially in vaults, in tile mode you can tell artifacts from their graphics 100% of the time), but that's a bit later in the game. Can't recognize friendlies/non-hostiles (the pickpocket alignment drop!) and unaware monsters without a 'l'ook command, that's really annoying. But the main issue I had were herbs. Tile mode includes an incredibly neat three step graphic showing the "health" of a herb patch so I know when I should stop picking up. In ASCII mode I destroyed absolutely every stable patch I found in UD, and that was with ~80 Herbalism. So, is there any way to recognize the patch state?
    Gate closers: GE Wizard, DE Archer, Ratling Elementalist, Ratling Duelist, GE Merchant, ME Druid, HE Mindcrafter, ME Monk

'A'pplying Herbalism staying on the herb bush will eventually provide string like:
    'You see some full_of_blossom/strong/withered herbs' (with variations ofc), representing the herb status.
    Not sure is the 'L'ook command will reproduce this information later on, then you did identifying herb status.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    This is a gameplay challenge, not an exercise in tedium.

if you have herbalism just moving on the space with the bush produced this message in older versions. It doesn't now ? O_O

in tile mode you can tell artifacts from their graphics 100% of the time
    :O

I gotta start playing those damn tiles some day. Too bad that's not available on the ancardia servers.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

Unfortunately, "l"ook doesn't tell you the current status of an identified herb bush, but stepping on the tile does. This means you have to leave and reenter the location of the herb to be sure you're not picking it to oblivion. Having a stable patch of four herb bushes, I usually walk in a circle, only picking once before moving on the next square. That is really just a minor nuisance, but it can have tactical implications when some hostile monsters show up. So it's actually a (small) penalty incurred on people who play without tiles, even if it's surely not intended to be that way.

As always,
    Minotauros

The tile set allows you to identify many items without a scroll of identify.

It also allows you to tell the status of a bush without herbalism.

I wonder if these should be reported as bugs. It does not seem intentional.
    You steal a scroll labelled HITME. The orc hits you.

I noticed that watching some of Gordon's videos. Not that I think it's necessarily bad, but it seems wrong that one renderer provides information another renderer doesn't (they should be functionally identical right? just different graphics).

I think the biggest thing is not herbs (the main draw of herbalism is not getting cursed herbs imo) or IDing items, but that you can effectively 'l'ook at items more than 1 tile away from you, which is actually a pretty big advantage (that said I always wondered why if my vision is 5 tiles, why can't I tell what color a potion is 2 tiles away...)

I like how in noteye mode, dopplegangers of all kinds normally look like you, but when you use a form of monster detection you see their true freakish appearance.

I wouldn't mind seeing a tile-set that uses fonts, so you can use your imagination as to how enemies look but you get the gameplay benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by auricbond View Post
    I like how in noteye mode, dopplegangers of all kinds normally look like you, but when you use a form of monster detection you see their true freakish appearance.
    This is another interesting bit. I have always wondered what dopples look like when there's nobody around for them to impersonate.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I can't stand the noteye mode, it is laggy compared to the ASCII mode.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer