Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing through entire game without personally killing anything or changing pets ...

Default Playing through entire game without personally killing anything or changing pets ...

Now, I know at least one person has played through the entire game without killing anything (using pets to do all the killing), but has anyone done it with their starting pet?

I was just playing a dwarf bard, and got the gauntlets of peace right away upon entering the UD, so I thought, 'OK! I'll just let my bear kill everything!'

And that just kinda snowballed from there.

By the time we got to the HMV, the bear was extremely experienced ... it had 6 (or 7) attacks, about 120 damage per hit on crits, and killed the resident stone giant lord in one round of combat without even getting hurt.

And I remember that there's no limit on monster XP (including pets).

So, do you think this is possible? I know it's a challenge game and has a lot of downsides, but it would be very funny to manage it!

(I'm convinced you'd want detect traps and awareness. Anything else you'd absolutely need to make it do-able?)

Pets can't traverse D:49, so there's your answer. Everything aside from that is probably possible.

Aside from d:49, the ToEF sounds potentially rough as well

Quote Originally Posted by AlterAsc View Post
    Pets can't traverse D:49, so there's your answer. Everything aside from that is probably possible.
    I'm pretty sure D:50 is doable without kills. You would need boost speed through roof, teleport fuckers until char gets to levels, create locked doors around them and spam wand of monster creation. Certainly doable.

Theory is sound, but we are talking about probably single-digit level character. With wish engines being fixed, i don't see any reasonable ways to buff speed to levels where you don't need to fear one-hit death.

Well, you can get to 170ish with greater bug corpses.

You can farm PoUH from Jharod for extra HP. It might also be worthwhile to use boozed wand of trap creation + disarm traps to gain a couple levels... Or, for that matter, maybe D:50 could be done using lots and lots of alarm traps? Dunno which of the monsters are trap-sensitive.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    Well, you can get to 170ish with greater bug corpses.

You can farm PoUH from Jharod for extra HP. It might also be worthwhile to use boozed wand of trap creation + disarm traps to gain a couple levels... Or, for that matter, maybe D:50 could be done using lots and lots of alarm traps? Dunno which of the monsters are trap-sensitive.
    Grinding stats and hp is not much different than just leveling.
    Last edited by Jeremiah; 10-04-2015 at 03:28 PM.
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

How about scrolls of familiar summoning on D50?
    AKA: Jbc
    1st win no spoiler & no cheating version 1.1.1
    Favorite Race Class Combo: Darkling Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by magpie View Post
    Now, I know at least one person has played through the entire game without killing anything (using pets to do all the killing)
    Wow, did they post here or somewhere about it? I'd love to read how they did it. All my experiences with uber-powerful pets have ended up with them turning on their master

Quote Originally Posted by dai View Post
    Wow, did they post here or somewhere about it? I'd love to read how they did it. All my experiences with uber-powerful pets have ended up with them turning on their master
    Yeah, likewise, but apparently some madman did it back in the day. After seeing how powerful pets can get so quickly, I can see how (with a few tricky points) it could be doable.

How about scrolls of familiar summoning on D50?
    Might need to, but for a really ridiculous ADOM challenge (let's call it Coward Man/Woman, as you prefer), I'd say do it all with your starting pet.

Theory is sound, but we are talking about probably single-digit level character.
    Out of interest, how else can you can gain experience? Besides killing things and disarming traps? I don't think quests give any.