Thread: Way to recover from crash?

Default Way to recover from crash?

Hi,

So I am a little %#&@(. Game just crushed a very promising character level 11. Lost some 3 hours of gameplay. I tried to use the .bak file. I read somewhere that in order to make it work you need to rename it to *character name*.svg. Tried it and still the game is crashing. Any ideas? Solutions? Or shall I accept the loss?

Normally I would simply restart the game. Yet this char was kinda special in a lot of ways and I had high hopes of finally finishing doomed challange game with it.

You should be able to just rename the .bak file to .svg. If you try to generate a new character, does it work fine? If that crashes, then you might need to reinstall ADOM.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

What do you mean "reinstal". Adom does not have a typical installation procedure. I deleted the adom catalogue from My documents and forced the game to create it again. Did not work unfortunatelly.

Edit:

Sh.t. Downloaded again. Swiped all of ADOM from the hard drive.Tried to recover with .bak with no luck. My guess is the game crashed when it tried to auto-save. As such .bak is corrupted. Ehh...
    Last edited by Kordianus; 10-14-2015 at 10:49 PM.

Default work around

I had a similar problem some days ago. (Thread "ADOM Error Message")
    I had a corrupt Ramona.svg but I could urge the game to choose Ramona.bak for itself with renaming Ramona.svg to R1234.svg without touching the *.bak File. Once there is only a Ramona.bak Adom chooses this to be in the file selector, too.

Seems that simple renaming *.bak to *.svg worked in some earlier versions only...