Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Undervalued Items

Default Undervalued Items

What is the most undervalued item in the game?

For me it's probably pick axes in the early game and wand of poison in the late. I always forget the pick axes help me avoid things I don't like - mostly cats. I didn't realize how strong wands of poison were until I was playing an drake elementalist and on D50 a balor summoned like 4-5 AKW and I had zero tools to deal with that situation and had to be really cagey because I was getting seriously slowed by their cold breath. Thought to myself: hmmm wand of poison, are they resistant? I might help a little. Total annihilation.
    Completed: All Races, All Classes. Twice.
    Fastest Run: Dwarf Mindcrafter - 34803 turns. No wand of tele.
    Challenge Games: C- CK (stupid ending), Platinum Girdle x10, Westside Story, Team Teleport - illiterate troll barb, Scroll of Omnipotence obtained
    ULE - DE Archer

The irony of inquiring what is underrated is that if a lot of people respond with one answer, then technically it isn't underrated by people, is it?

But if you mean the "I didn't realise it was THAT good" kind of item, WoP is definitely a good choice. Remember taking care of the minotaur emperor with it over a decade ago with an otherwise very ill-equiped and stat drained elven archer that could barely dent the pv of mino kings in melee and had ran out of missiles.

I only recently found out how good ingots/ores are. They provide some pretty absurd bonuses, and it's an obtainable skill in every game.

Quote Originally Posted by hapro View Post
    I only recently found out how good ingots/ores are. They provide some pretty absurd bonuses, and it's an obtainable skill in every game.
    True, even some highly smithed iron items can get artifact-tier defensive values.

Here's a few...

-Phial of Caladrial. Not as good as 1.1.1, but this is a ridiculously underrated item, IMHO.
    -Shield of raw steel. Corruption and killing Guth scares a lot of people off, but if you want to clear the Tower with no problems, this item is tailor-made for it.
    -Shezestriakis. The two-hit penalties are very minor in mid-to-late game. Otherwise basically the equivalent of wearing an extra tower shield.
    -Black torc. As a missile, undead slayer + returns when thrown is very handy for PCs with decent Dx in the early-mid game. +10 speed and some useful early-game intrinsics makes this well worth it, especially for, say, mist elves who are really desperate for vortex protection.
    -Bloody dagger. With a 50% crit rate, this thing punches well above its weight. It's probably one of the strongest non-artifact weapons in the game.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

* Silver key - Great since the buff. Unlimited door creation + magic lock. Been seriously useful several times.

Black torc. Life saver against vortices and lightning lizards.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."

I use wands of monster detection quite often when entering a new level to see what i am dealing with.

Someone should make a thread considering items, which people find too good for their rarity / easiness to get. I'd love to see the nerfbat swinging for at least:

- healing herbs (amount available / instant effect is the problem)
    - ratling food (same here, these are so good they alter the game experience, the weight/nutrition/commonness/easiness needs altering)

Quote Originally Posted by hapro View Post
    how you pay for smithing is the level of boredom you are willing to put up with. IMO it is the most broken skill in the game since at mid levels you can easily smith an extra 30 PV/DV. gg from that point.
    Wins:
    Gnome Assassin / Dwarven Paladin (ULE) / Ratling Duelist (UNE) / High Elf Archer / Gnomish Wizard x ~5 / Gray Elven Wizard (UCG) - Archmage / Gnomish Weaponsmith / Grey Elf Elementalist / Dwarven Priest / Trollish Barbarian / Drakling Farmer / Mist Elf Wizard / Human Beastfighter / Ratling Archer (UNE) / Gnomish Mindcrafter

Classes Left
    Many!

The way smithing works and the amount of effort it requires makes it only worthwhile when playing a weaponsmith.
    I never dabble in smithing when I don't play that class, it's just not fun.
    I don't usually have any problems getting sufficient PV for other classes and for a weaponsmith, it's a game within a game to get my DV and PV to 100 and wear that as a sort of badge of honor.
    Generally, I have to mess around with a smith once a year to satisfy my smithing needs and that's it.
    Here's the last one with +20 +10 tower eternium shield:
    http://ancardia.uk.to/adom_users/bla...s/hephaest.flg

That said, smithing feels like quite an OP thing.
    "Hell is empty and all the devils are here."