Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heretical idea №2

Yes, i wish to see only good created quests. :] Also I suppose to use a pl(o?)t of any legends you know. It was so funny to guess who is who in ADOM.
    Last edited by yisk; 03-31-2008 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by adom-admin View Post
    The quest editor for JADE thus looks like this:
    • Read the public Java API for JADE (which I will make available in the most current form once JADE is out in an initial version).
    • Get some Java IDE (e.g. Eclipse or IntelliJ).
    • Ask for blog posts explaining the details about how to design quests (I even might write some unasked ;-)
    • Write Java code, add it to the game binary and test it.
    Overly simplistic? Maybe? Efficient? Definitely!
    Items 2, 3, and possibly the latter half of 4 are unnecessary - JADE could be written (probably not early on, but it could be done) to make it capable of dynamic loading .class files - I've seen Java applications that load all the .class files for extensions from specific directories. So for instance, JADE could load all the files in a Monsters directory as being monsters, and so on and so forth. And an IDE is strictly optional - I just use KATE, which is a text editor with a built-in shell, multiple file support, and syntax highlighting, which is all I need. And as for learning about how to do things, listening to the guy who made the system is often strictly optional. Well-documented (and in some cases, well-written, but that's not applicable here) code speaks for itself.

This will be great for me to brush up on my Java... here come the errors about functions not specifying exceptions!

Quote Originally Posted by coppro View Post
    Items 2, 3, and possibly the latter half of 4 are unnecessary - JADE could be written (probably not early on, but it could be done) to make it capable of dynamic loading .class files - I've seen Java applications that load all the .class files for extensions from specific directories. So for instance, JADE could load all the files in a Monsters directory as being monsters, and so on and so forth. And an IDE is strictly optional - I just use KATE, which is a text editor with a built-in shell, multiple file support, and syntax highlighting, which is all I need. And as for learning about how to do things, listening to the guy who made the system is often strictly optional. Well-documented (and in some cases, well-written, but that's not applicable here) code speaks for itself.

This will be great for me to brush up on my Java... here come the errors about functions not specifying exceptions!
    I am not sure if dynamic loading is a good thing. Plugins in general dont integrate well into each other, which is bad. If we, on the other hand, write stuff, then submit it to the Creator, he merges them into the mainline and publishes the updated javadoc, newer plugins will build on the old plugins, which means they integrate at least in one direction.

I use VIM, the only true editor
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Epythic View Post
    I use VIM, the only true editor
    With vim we shall mod!

Pity one has to use JAVA though...Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by F50 View Post
    With vim we shall mod!

Pity one has to use JAVA though...Ah well.
    Yep. I prefer Python, by the way, and there is Jython, which runs on the JVM, integrates into Java, compiles into Bytecode and is fully compatible to Java in the sense that writing JADE modules shouldn't be possible. Still, "real" python is better.
    Of course it's unfair - that's the whole point.

The Adom wiki: everything you don't want to know about Adom.
    http://ancardia.wikia.com/