Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Heretical idea №2

Post Heretical idea №2

Please, before to swear, read and think.

I do not wish to transform JADE into stupid game for children, but I am almost assured, that alone Thomas cannot inhale a life in so huge randomly created world. Despite tremendous detail, even ADOM suffers callousness a little. Sometimes you do not feel, what for it is necessary to go, fight and be corrupted here and there.

After video about JADE, it is necessary to think - whether has come time to change cardinally something? I already spoke about the editor of scenarios for JADE, now I wish to offer, for what this editor should serve.

For example, the huge world, being generated randomly, has in itself twelve cities-capitals in twelve basic zones: wood, snow, desert, ashes, mountains, swamp, water, fog of death, the sacred clouds, the corrupted earth etc. In each city is NPCs which can send the player through a portal (which in different kinds is in each city) for performance of quests.

These quests are created by people with the editor of JADE scenario. After that the commission from selected fans checks a map on many parametres:
    - Quality, originality, beauty
    - Conformity of sense of the scenario, landscape, names NPC (it is impossible to use names like "MadE_by_JulYzeRk"), type and quantity of enemies to atmosphere of some game territory.
    As in due course these mini-adventures becomes much at their random drop - out, they will be perceived each time as new.

At all it such "the system of semi-independent quests" does not prevent to work to the Creator on the general story line, to expand and deepen the game world.
    Last edited by yisk; 03-29-2008 at 10:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman123 View Post
    Omfg!

I have seen you in the wesnoth forums?
    I never won a Adom game...

it really sounds like you want to convince The Creator to change JADE completely into your roguelike. Maybe you should just make your own roguelike with your ideas because there is no way TB is going to impltement this stuff. Only one city per terrain? That sounds like some washed up childs adventure platformer. Not trying to be mean here, but these ideas would pretty much change everything JADe is about including backstory etc.

Gotta agree with the post above me, your suggestions seem arbitrary in contextual relation to ADOM and JADE.

If you do want to make a roguelike though, send me an email, I would love to design one, and I have some programming knowledge, but no good ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by theotherhiveking View Post
    Omfg!

I have seen you in the wesnoth forums?
    No...
    That image isn't mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Scienceman123 View Post
    No...
    That image isn't mine.
    I confused you with science guy omfg!
    I never won a Adom game...

If I read this right, it sounds a lot like an old game called Legacy of the Ancients. It had a bunch of portals, and you kind of went from episode to episode.

In fact, this type of thing doesn't sound like a roguelike at all. This is something that sounds like it could be better done in RPG Maker.

IronJelly, you like to flat out program but have no ideas? That's a rarity... I have a couple of half finished games that I thought were good concepts, but the programming got too damn time consuming. The ideas are usually easy but the programming is what kills people.
    I am averaging one win for every 10 years of play.

I simply wish to tell, that I do not see other ways to enrich with sense the huge world of JADE. If there will be other way... then I will change my opinion.

Default Quest editor

Quote Originally Posted by yisk View Post
    After video about JADE, it is necessary to think - whether has come time to change cardinally something? I already spoke about the editor of scenarios for JADE, now I wish to offer, for what this editor should serve.
    The good thing is: There will be a quest editor starting with the initial release of JADE... The bad thing is: It might not be what you expected.

Let me elaborate: IMHO the only decent quest editor for meaningfully interesting quests (e.g. such that can't be randomly generated with a simple template approach) are those that you program. The quest editor for JADE thus looks like this:
    • Read the public Java API for JADE (which I will make available in the most current form once JADE is out in an initial version).
    • Get some Java IDE (e.g. Eclipse or IntelliJ).
    • Ask for blog posts explaining the details about how to design quests (I even might write some unasked ;-)
    • Write Java code, add it to the game binary and test it.
    Overly simplistic? Maybe? Efficient? Definitely! And IMHO the only way to design quests that cannot be randomly generated by JADE according to some simplistic formula.

IMHO just writing some flavor text is not really what makes for great new quests... it's adding new ways in which you can interact with the environment and in which the environment interacts with you. Flavor text could be added to the random generator templates
    Thomas Biskup
    ADOM & Ultimate ADOM Maintainer
    https://www.adom.de - https://www.ultimate-adom.com