Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Experience

Default Experience

I know how much difference speed can make regarding experience gain but it's not the only cause.
    My recent 2 games are both somewhat extreme compared to my average games.

The recent finished Orc wizard, Cup star sign, was approx lvl 30 at UL1.

Current dwarf merchant, dragon star sign, had to leave fgjc5 to go for bug temple (and hopefully mino maze) because of risk going past lvl 30, this is before TOEF and saving khelly.

Orc is supposed to be faster than dwarf and cup is supposed to make this even more prominent.
    Is merchant that much faster to exp than wizard?

(both games in R59)
    Last edited by blunk; 11-02-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Perhaps it had something to do with the types of greater vaults you got in fgjc5? I noticed a large difference between the experience gain from greater giant and greater dragon vaults.

Quote Originally Posted by Blank4u47 View Post
    Perhaps it had something to do with the types of greater vaults you got in fgjc5? I noticed a large difference between the experience gain from greater giant and greater dragon vaults.
    When you say it that was probably the main difference, giant vault vs red dragon vault, it surely accounted for some levels but this much is huge.

Just started a Dwarf Merchant, he needs 3754809 xp to reach level 30.

Rolled up an Orcish Wizard, needs 4568356 xp for the same level. More than 20% more.

Quote Originally Posted by meekrab View Post
    Just started a Dwarf Merchant, he needs 3754809 xp to reach level 30.

Rolled up an Orcish Wizard, needs 4568356 xp for the same level. More than 20% more.
    Thats a really big difference, with all the extra stuff I did, I got more than 5 extra skillups after 50, I stopped counting after while

I dislike the idea of speed affecting experience gains. Come on, why speed? Why not something else, why anything? If speed is "too good" and because of that, then it's speed what needs altering. At least the "wish for speed - Andor easymode" should be fixed. This, like many other problems could and should be eliminated by introducing race / class -based limits on stats / skills and in this case, speed also. So that Elves could get at maximum 150 speed, trolls maybe 120 etc. Not these values exactly, but you get the idea.

Speed reducing the amount of gained experience does not make any sense whatsoever. It's just a thing that has been decided. This comes a factor when playing troll for example (no raven here!).

Quote Originally Posted by Jokke77 View Post
    Speed reducing the amount of gained experience does not make any sense whatsoever. It's just a thing that has been decided. .

Makes perfect sense to me, if your so fast the opponent seems to be standing still then there's no reason to improve your technique, you dont have to worry about how they might counter, or if their weapon might lop off your arm if you leave yourself open. you just walk up and stab them, then walk away.

You can't build muscle if you don't work out, similarly you can't build skill if the actions you take don't require skill.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

Partly, it's a game balance issue.

But it does make a kind of sense. If you're moving 1.5 times faster than everyone else, you're going to get used to relying on the advantage of being so fast instead of improving your skills as much.

Makes perfect sense to me, if your so fast the opponent seems to be standing still then there's no reason to improve your technique, you dont have to worry about how they might counter, or if their weapon might lop off your arm if you leave yourself open. you just walk up and stab them, then walk away.
    that kind of contrived explanation falls apart incredibly quickly when you realize every single other stat in the game doesn't work that way

99 strength lets you 1 shot many of the weaker monsters even if you use a garbage weapon, doesn't affect xp gain

Perma invisibility lets you backstab monsters and pick out individuals to 1v1 from the pack with impunity. With certain spells you can blast them repeatedly without them being able to do a thing. But nope, doesn't affect xp gain.

Decreased energy usage for movement + attacking from 7lb or class powers or talents/weapon mastery has the same effect of higher speed for melee characters. Maybe a bit worse because it doesn't affect utility actions such as zapping or drinking potions, but definitely has much of the same power. Does it have any effect on xp gain? Hmm.

10,000 hp with 200+dv/pv with all immunities and resistances and regeneration + necklace of rapid healing would literally make you immortal against anything. Do any of these factors affect xp gain in the slightest? Surprise...

Is speed an insanely strong stat? Yeah. Could it use some downsides? Sure. But the way it's been approached is pretty hamfisted and just really inelegant and inconsistent. Not a fan of the mechanic at all.
    Last edited by Burb; 11-10-2015 at 03:05 AM.

99 str lets you 1-shot an enemy, but 99 str with 200 speed lets you 1-shot 2 enemies, with half the xp gain.
    Decreased energy cost lets you move/attack faster, but only Relative to your speed.
    A spell will kill an enemy, but with higher speed, you get more spells before they can react.
    Speed is handi-capped because it affects every single portion of your game, in essence it directly adds to your power in a way no other stat can, and I feel that how it is handi-capped is an elegant solution.