Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADOM at 4 a.m. - The ridiculous tales

Default ADOM at 4 a.m. - The ridiculous tales

Let's put together our most ridiculous stories about playing ADOM while half asleep/drunk/high or whatever it is that made you and I lose promising chars due to absolute stupidity.

Today....5:50 am. I was ALMOST asleep when I got an idea for my ADOM PC. Lvl 19 Drake Necromancer...going awfully well. Precrowned with robes of resistance and had a hand axe of penetration from Barnabas shop. At lvl 18 I had 40 PV, wich is great for that part of the game.

Did everything there was to do before saving khelly (including ToEF wich was a breeze with Ice Ball+blindness). Got black dragon scale mail from darforge lvl 1 and red dragon scale mail from the forge depo. Being tough i was able to play it like a melee char. And I would change up to the sword of noonak when I needed bigger ball spells.

After draining all the pools and not getting a wish (althou got mostly good effects) I decided to give up saving khelly. Killed him and went to bed. At 5:50 I had an idea... go for an OCG at least. I was a necromancer so being chaotic is what i'm supposed to do anyway.

I got up and w/ my eyes completely blurred i started playing. But my lazyness kicked in and I wanted to convert the altar in DT. I managed to be "smart" enough to lure the priest to the lower level but I forgot that he cannot be killed by your hands or his ghost makes the town hostile. No problem, I thought. I had no more business in DT and the only bad thing was loosing the stat training (the ratling was afraid of me and later could be calmed with spells if the need would rise). Killed everyone including Waldenbrook (wich netted me a lvl) nad proceeded to the altar. Then... i got inventory cursed when the altar converted to neutral (it was L), my first sloppy mistake. And then managed to get it to C after that.

With my inventory cursed I proceeded to the Big Room to find an SoU that I discovered I didn't have. The problem is that the big room most likely increases in DL with your level (or with days passed). I entered and not many turns after that there was a jackalwere, a werewolf LORD (summoning more werewolves) AND a dark elven wizard... all summoning like crazy! I managed to fend them all off for a while, I couldn't put my sword on because everything was cursed...so no bigger ball spells. Also I didn't want to use them because i could destroy the scrolls on the ground. But even after 400+ enemies... no scrolls were to be found. In the end i got something like 10-20 seconds of peace in the room before another summoner showed up. And it was more often than not, a werewolf lord. It got to a point were I couldn't fend them off in melee in time and had to use my spells.... ended up draining my magic missile castings w/ little suceess on finding the scroll.... drained Frost bolt w/ the same results and fromm then on it was a gamble because ball spells, fire bolt, lightning bolt most likely trashed any scroll on the ground. I ended up tough but w/o any real firepower reserve. W/o stat training.... all inventory cursed and I was wearing the crown of science too...soo doomed and cursed. But even after I blessed the crown and took it off the summoners showed up with the same frequency so it wasn't it's fault =P

I went from necromancer superstar to an artifact wearing broken piece of code in no-time due to absolute dumbness.
    Last edited by pblack; 07-28-2009 at 04:55 PM.

Your Crown of Science I'm sure didn't help, but I would think killing the priest and the rest of dwarftown would probably get you cursed, if not doomed, on its own. I can't think of any really ridiculously stupid ways I've killed myself off the top of my head, but there are certainly plenty that could have been avoided by going to bed,

That sucks though, sounds like your Necro had some real potential.

Quote Originally Posted by brim View Post
    Your Crown of Science I'm sure didn't help, but I would think killing the priest and the rest of dwarftown would probably get you cursed, if not doomed, on its own. I can't think of any really ridiculously stupid ways I've killed myself off the top of my head, but there are certainly plenty that could have been avoided by going to bed,

That sucks though, sounds like your Necro had some real potential.
    Nah, when I quit I saw that I didn't have cursed or doomed in my sintrinsics. I even had Fate smiles and Lucky from getting the antecipation of power message for chaotics.

Quote Originally Posted by pblack View Post
    The problem is that the big room most likely increases in DL with your level (or with days passed). I entered and not many turns after that there was a jackalwere, a werewolf LORD (summoning more werewolves) AND a dark elven wizard... all summoning like crazy!
    Seems like the Big Room has become a major headache in 1.1.1. Constant summoners. In my latest dual-wielding ranger game, large spiders and tarantulas were becoming impossible to deal with because of their experience. The Pyramid, for instance, was trivial by comparison.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Yeah. I consistently run in to a lot of nasty summoners in the big room. I always cross my fingers and hope that the stairs are right near each other...even then, I have been running in to some big problems in that room.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Williams View Post
    Seems like the Big Room has become a major headache in 1.1.1. Constant summoners. In my latest dual-wielding ranger game, large spiders and tarantulas were becoming impossible to deal with because of their experience. The Pyramid, for instance, was trivial by comparison.
    True to that.

I was playing a drakeling so I had music but it was just impossible to turn enough animals to my side with the skill at 70 or so. I tried rasing all corpses in sight as ghuls too but it seems that it only goes for actual corpses on display (meaning ..you see a % on the ground, not a [ with the % underneath it) ot the monsters on top of the corpses didn't let the ghuls rise (There were humanoid corpses lying around from a previous black wizard that summoned kobolds and ogres).

Playing a caster its easy enough to have an invisibility source to cross the big room (if you choose not to pacify it) when you have to. But I had to go there to kill monsters so being seen was good. Or not.. now that I think about it I should have stacked Invisibility or used my cloak (yeah...that guy had fine cloak, Tower eternium shield, eternium boots, dual ring of damage, bracers of rgen... he had the whole thing)

But in the end I could have done a lot better than killing off DT. I just blew it =P

I almost always get spiders in the big room, too. The most annoying thing about that is that webs seem to cancel herbs (or perhaps it's that I like to burn webs with fire bolt and herbs also get burnt?)

My last two late-night patheticness stories were:

1) About 3 AM. I'm around the Kelly level of the CoC with a very promising char: very good stats raised by herbs without need of scumming, some stashed PoGA's, an AoLS to save Khelly, some PoCC's, all the useful spells, had the RotHK, ankh, elemental gauntlets, etc. I was getting very sleepy. I was about to go to sleep when I magic missiled myself to death diagonally, in a corner of a corridor. It rebounded lots of times and left me at something like -6 or so (one less rebound and I probably would have survived).

2) About 2 AM. A char not as advanced as the one before, but it was really cool because it had a high-level pet greater earth elemental that kicked serious ass. I go to the TotHK lake and cast ice bolt. I was thinking about leaving my inventory aside, but my sleepy neurons thought: "well, first I'm going to finish the bridge, then I'll leave the inventory aside and go for the boss" (facepalm). So I step on the first ice square in order to build the second, with all my SoA-enhanced packrat inventory and I instantly realised I had stepped to my death but it was already too late. Died to the damned piranhas.

I also remember when I was playing in the weakest link competition, and I came back home at like 5 am, tired and somewhat drunk. So I see it's my turn in the weakest link and I knew I probably had my Pe and Dx too drained to play, but on the other hand I really wanted to play. So I say that on the server's IRC channel and Grey advises me to create a character to see if I'm in shape to play or not. So I do that, and I don't know how I roll a wizard, go to Terinyo (after wearing a ring of the fish without even realising it was autocursing, IIRC), read a book, get confused or stunned or something by the book, accidentally attack a passer-by, and make Terinyo hostile. So, well, I quit the char and didn't play my turn until the next morning (luckily ). I mean, if I screwed things up in goddamn Terinyo, I prefer not to think what I could have done in the ID with a healing-less gnomish weaponsmith that night...
    Last edited by Al-Khwarizmi; 07-28-2009 at 06:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I also remember when I was playing in the weakest link competition, and I came back home at like 5 am, tired and somewhat drunk. So I see it's my turn in the weakest link and I knew I probably had my Pe and Dx too drained to play, but on the other hand I really wanted to play. So I say that on the server's IRC channel and Grey advises me to create a character to see if I'm in shape to play or not. So I do that, and I don't know how I roll a wizard, go to Terinyo (after wearing a ring of the fish without even realising it was autocursing, IIRC), read a book, get confused or stunned or something by the book, accidentally attack a passer-by, and make Terinyo hostile. So, well, I quit the char and didn't play my turn until the next morning (luckily ). I mean, if I screwed things up in goddamn Terinyo, I prefer not to think what I could have done in the ID with a healing-less gnomish weaponsmith that night...

LOL!!!

the wizzy was quite drunk himself apparently....LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Al-Khwarizmi View Post
    I almost always get spiders in the big room, too. The most annoying thing about that is that webs seem to cancel herbs (or perhaps it's that I like to burn webs with fire bolt and herbs also get burnt?)
    If you don't know, fire definitely destroys herbs. That's part of what makes fire vortices so infuriating in the Big Room and other herb-sustaining levels. Although well-trained missile weapon skills will get rid of most of them.
    ADOM Guidebook: http://adomgb.info/

Webs do also damage herbs. I don't think spiders can plant webs on top of herb bushes, but they can disrupt future growth.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.