Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avenging Spirits...

Default Avenging Spirits...

Hi Guys

I played ADOM years ago, saw it come up on steam and instantly bought it. Funny how much you actually remember (and forget) when you play again.

My current issue is these damn avenging spirits, i cant remember ever having issues with them before and as it stands that probably means they weren't in the game when i last played.
    What i want to know is just information regarding them. They always are ridiculously strong compared to me, and have the same speed which makes running nigh impossible. Besides the fact that i constantly get squished between them and another nasty.

Do they only spawn if i have the same name as previously dead characters? Do they spawn in locations where previous character(s) died? They seem to drain strength which is quite detrimental so early or was that a shadow? Im really trying to give a gnomish monk a go but these bastids find me in quest dungeons constantly. I did manage to escape 2/3 but Im sure theyve gotten me killed directly/indirectly at least 8 times now haha.

Another question is, is there a quicker way to reroll my star sign than quitting once in game. Find that so annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Vsdgkk View Post
    1.. They always are ridiculously strong compared to me, and have the same speed which makes running nigh impossible. Besides the fact that i constantly get squished between them and another nasty.

2.Another question is, is there a quicker way to reroll my star sign than quitting once in game. Find that so annoying.
    1. You can add line
    Ghosts_Deactivated = true into cfg file. That would stop them for good.

2. No, we used to have star sign roller utility for non-steam version, but i don't think it works with latest releases.

1. Thanks id rather not disable them if they are built in and everyone has to deal with them. Feels like a cheat to just remove them. I just wanted info on spawning conditions, and now that i think of it. Are they as strong as the deceased?

2. Ah thanks. thats too bad

Quote Originally Posted by Vsdgkk View Post
    1. Thanks id rather not disable them if they are built in and everyone has to deal with them. Feels like a cheat to just remove them. I just wanted info on spawning conditions, and now that i think of it. Are they as strong as the deceased?
    If it was cheating, there wouldn't be a config to turn it off There's a strong case to be made for the idea that every run is independent from all other runs.

The wiki is a bit out of date on these, it calls them "vile spirits" but I believe that it still sums them up nicely. - I believe much of the equipment they inherit is broken/rusted now and any intact items are cursed, making them much less powerful than previous versions, but still quite dangerous due to their stat draining effects.

I believe they appear in the same dungeon level you died in, with like a 30-40% chance - ie PC 4, D 18, I 666, or any other place you happened to have died.

I've also known them to punch through armor on occasion.

They are vulnerable to magic - especially magic missiles if you happen to have a wand handy.

"you are the only cactus in the garden of my life" Gomez - Adams Family

There is a problem with them on Steam in that you can get ghosts from other character's accounts spawning in your areas. As a result, you see them everywhere.

I have turned them off since this feature was first introduced.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

It might be a good idea to have a main menu, in-game menu or NotEYE menu option that toggles between Ghosts Off, Player Ghosts Only, and Crowd Ghosts.
    It'd also be good if this didn't affect whether the game counted as 'Standard' for purposes of achievements and high score.

I'm also of the opinion that vile spirits need a minor nerf. I died as a level 4 Dwarven Druid in the PC with only basic starting equipment. My level 5 Dwarven Druid with upgraded armour and spells went down there and was forced to flee for her life from the ghost of her predecessor, who she couldn't even hit. I suggest a nerf of approximately 1-2 character levels, especially since you end up with dozens hanging around the early game. They shouldn't be more powerful as monsters than they were as PCs and they should be killable by PCs of their level.
    Last edited by Kelibath; 11-21-2015 at 06:08 PM.
    You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!

Happy to see im not the only one having issues with em. I just started a troll monk and rolled through any i found. Im hoping that once killed they wont respawn again if they do i might turn it off. I like the idea though, if only they werent stronger than when they died(it feels like)

Ye ok. So these things are retarded. I used a troll monk to clear out all my gnome monk Avenging Spirits of the "easy" dungeons (Puppy,Village and Druid dungeons) no worries. Get to caverns of chaos for the first time since i bought so not a chance in hell i had a ghost there. Yet an avenging spirit appeared and killed me in 4 hits. Only got it to half.

I feel like there is a big issue with their power!?!?! How the hell could something that maybe was lvl 6 when i died be stronger than my lvl 8/9 troll counterpart and be in a COMPLETELY different location. Ill take your advice Soirana thanks, as much as i hate to do it. I love the idea of encountering past visages

I'd like their abilities to have some correlation to their original class. So let them cast a few spells but have low hp if they were a caster, or give them a strong melee attack if they were a melee class