View Poll Results: Should spoiler customs (camouflage/containment) be observed?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, for my own benefit

2 8.33%
  • Yes, but only for the benefit of others I imagine are there

9 37.50%
  • No

13 54.17%

Thread: Poll: what, if any, spoiler customs should we observe?

Default Poll: what, if any, spoiler customs should we observe?

Nothing like an objective measurement (assuming we get a representative sample).

So far I've gone with only vague allusions to spoilable content outside of the Issue Report area (because it's pretty difficult to submit a good bug report or RFE on a spoilered issue without mentioning the problem).
    I suggest the spoiler command for anything major, because it takes a deliberate action to click it open. Something else might be seen when scrolling.

You constantly practice. You feel exhausted!

I dislike rules like this. You always end up with people forgetting, new posters not realising, then other people get annoyed with them. If you're on a game forum, you run the risk of getting spoiled. Reader beware.

Quote Originally Posted by shockeroo View Post
    I dislike rules like this. You always end up with people forgetting, new posters not realising, then other people get annoyed with them. If you're on a game forum, you run the risk of getting spoiled. Reader beware.
    To the extent that someone is proposing a "rule" that if you don't observe you get punished/shamed, I agree with you.

To the extent that people are proposing a "custom"/"norm" that we adhere to (or try to adhere to) for the benefit of readers, what's the harm? Try to avoid spoilers without tags so people don't get hurt reading spoilers, but don't shame/punish people who fail to do that.

I don't like any of the options. IMHO, there should be a separate spoiler-free forum. This forum has always been a spoiler space unless someone has specifically requested not to be spoiled in their thread.
    Hoping to win with every class, doomed. Archer, Barbarian, Bard, Beastfighter, Druid, Elementalist, Farmer, Fighter, Monk, and ULE Priest down.

Quote Originally Posted by JellySlayer View Post
    I don't like any of the options. IMHO, there should be a separate spoiler-free forum. This forum has always been a spoiler space unless someone has specifically requested not to be spoiled in their thread.
    This is the better option by far.

When posting questions people should be explicit about not wanting certain spoilers. This is what I do when using forums for games I'm not familiar with (not that it ever helps - people are just stupid about spoilers).

I answered "No" because I think it's just not possible to enforce and I'm not convinced there's a significant demand for it.
    Platinum Edition ADOMer
    http://gamesofgrey.com - check out my roguelikes!